How to correct map error - Helipad with wrong lat/long?

Reaction score
I live in a rural area of west GA (~30 mi. east of Columbus/Ft. Benning). A good friend of mine lives about 7 miles away and owns >200 ac. of woods and pastures, so a good place to fly.

Oddly though, a Helipad location is listed as being within a couple of miles of his house - in the woods! Nothing there but a large tract of pine trees.

The helipad location shows up on Google Earth Pro and all the maps in all the flight prep apps I use - UAV Forecast, Airdata, Kittyhawk, even the FAA's B4Ufly. AFAIK, it does not show on current Atlanta Sectional, but I only glanced at it.

It's even listed incorrectly on the AOPA's website list of airports though, in fact NONE of the information on that page is correct, except the physical address. I put that in GE and turns out the helipad is at the Atlanta Medical Center, north of downtown!

Not only is the lat/long incorrect, the phone numbers are too. The listed 'office' phone is a voicemail recording 24 hrs a day, I called at all times, left multiple messages, no response. The # listed as 'airport manager' was answered by a woman who knew nothing about heliports or hospitals and got irate with me before I could even apologize for the wrong call. I must not have been the first one, eh?

This hasn't prevented me from flying, but does give me a popup warning and I have to check two boxes each time and agree to "take responsibility" for flying there. Plus, it being wrong on aviation maps-n-apps just bothers me...lol.

I didn't know where to start, so I called the AOPA 800#, got passed around til I landed on a nice guy named John. He listened, gave me some suggestions and an FAA District office phone #. There, they gave me another phone number so I called it, talked to a guy there who listened and seemed concerned and somewhat empathetic, but still no help.

Questions for someone who hopefully knows:
Where is the datafile that all these different maps/apps and even DJI NFZs are pulling their data from? Would it be government (FAA?) or private (Google?), and how to get it corrected?!

If someone here can give any information on where else to go, or I can give you the location name(s), Airport Identifier, lat/long (both the correct and incorrect ones), and whatever else I've got.

Thanks

Last edited:
AFAIK, all airports, heliports, etc are in a master FAA controlled database.

Airport Data & Contact Information

At the bottom of that page is a NFDC Contact info link which at the bottom of that new page shows:

FAA, National Flight Data Center
1305 East-West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 427-5000

So, that might be who to contact.

Thanks for the link.and info. Looks like a good place to start.

Getting this fixed is not exactly at the top of my personal to-do list, but I plan to keep nibbling at it when I can... be interesting to see what all it takes and how long.

I can't help but wonder though... Once the database is corrected, how long will it take the new info to trickle down to all the other websites and apps?

An updated database is published on a 56 day cycle, so apps that use it should take no longer than that to be updated. The latest update according to an email I just received is today (Dec. 7th).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20