How To Get Smoother / Consistent Speeds in Flight Modes (P3A)

Reaction score
I need some help with getting smoother / more consistent speeds when using the various flight modes. (I am using DJI Go Version 3.1.43 app on android.)

1) Waypoints and point of interest: Is there an easier way / more precise way to set the speed when using Waypoints or point of interest? It feels like I am just "stabbing" at the screen trying to move the cursor to the right speed amount with my fat sausage fingers. Is there any way to key it in first before the AC actually begins following the waypoints / point of interest?

For me, point of interest is probably the hardest. Say I want a speed of 6mph. It feels like I am either way slower (3mph) or way faster (9mph). Very hard to get it close to the desired speed. Way points is similar but maybe a little easier to get it "in the neighborhood."

2) Tripod mode: This doesn't seem to exist on the Phantom 3 models (at least not with the default DJI app). Is there any way to replicate this? Do I need to use a different app? I could do way points if it were easier to select / manage the speed, but as mentioned above, selecting a speed close to what I want is kind of tricky.

3) Panning Slowly: I am often requested for panoramic video shots. However, the pan speed is so fast and so hard to control that I have a very hard time getting usable footage. I have tried extending the sticks and I have some expo dialed in. I think it is about .35??? but don't quote me on that.

Would dialing in the expo to something really low "on the fly" be the right thing to do? How low should I go?

4) Altitude changes during POI: Is there a more automated way to change the altitude when doing point of interest? I would like a spiraling up or spiraling down effect when doing point of interest. It is already pretty difficult to get smooth changes in altitude when hovering in one location. Trying to do that while stabbing at the speed button for point of interest flying would be even more complex.

And finally, are the newer drones significantly better at accomplishing these things??? I would imagine tripod mode would be really helpful for me (I video real estate and having a consistent slow speed flight would be very helpful). Just I don't like to throw money at the problem if there is an easier solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegeekunderground
I need some help with getting smoother / more consistent speeds when using the various flight modes.
I suppose it can be assumed that you are using Litchi for this? You did not specify the app.

Reactions: Just Mark
Actualy, no. I am currently using the DJI Go Version 3.1.43 app on android.
Well this is news to me. I have not used GO in so long that I didn't realize these modes were available for the P3's ( I am using very old firmware so it could make a difference) I know that TRIPOD mode is not available for certain and from what I understand you must fly the route manually to set up waypoints. This is most tedious and ridiculous if you asked me. Litchi is so much easier for these. Have you tried the Litchi mission hub, just to try it out? If not take a look and see what you think. You can try it online for free with no purchase. Just a suggestion.

Well this is news to me. I have not used GO in so long that I didn't realize these modes were available for the P3's ( I am using very old firmware so it could make a difference) I know that TRIPOD mode is not available for certain and from what I understand you must fly the route manually to set up waypoints. This is most tedious and ridiculous if you asked me. Litchi is so much easier for these. Have you tried the Litchi mission hub, just to try it out? If not take a look and see what you think. You can try it online for free with no purchase. Just a suggestion.

Yes, you are correct: to set up way points you still have to fly to first point, set the point, fly to the second point, set the point, fly to the third point, set the point, etc. It does take a long time and more importantly it drives the neighbors crazy since I am now spending twice as long as I would like to flying near their houses.

I will look into litchi. Off the top of your head is it any easier to set a speed without having to stab randomly at the screen?

If i recall correctly, you can also adjust speed in fmode using the right stick to move in the same direction as the AC to speed up and the opposite direction to slow down.

Off the top of your head is it any easier to set a speed without having to stab randomly at the screen?
Yes, you can set speed, constant or variable to your liking between waypoints and altitude and actions within waypoints.

If i recall correctly, you can also adjust speed in fmode using the right stick to move in the same direction as the AC to speed up and the opposite direction to slow down.

Thank you for the reply.

My concern though is that I can't manually keep a consistent speed (meaning, I have a hard time using the right stick to keep a consistent speed in the first place, hence the reliance on trying to use waypoints instead of just manually flying the AC).

If I were able to manually fly the AC at a more consistent speed I would most likely not bother with the waypoints in the DJI Go app because it is cumbersome.

Yes, you can set speed, constant or variable to your liking between waypoints and altitude and actions within waypoints.

Thank you for the confirmation!!! I will definitely look into it then.

Any thoughts on panning slowly (and consistently)? Is that Litchi can help me with?

If I were able to manually fly the AC at a more consistent speed I would most likely not bother with the waypoints in the DJI Go app because it is cumbersome.
Litchi is completely autonomous when using waypoints. You don't have to touch anything. Just program your mission the way you want, load it and off you go.

Although a bit off in the way point topic, Using orbits to capture the areas of interest could be a better bet. Using Litchi (The best) control over movement is fairly tight and can get good footage of the focused points. You can manually fly or even use a way point mission, then cancel and set up a orbit fairly quickly when near your desired points. The only drawback to this is that you'd have to have control signal while performing it. Long distance flights most likely will not allow for this type of use. I made a video showing how this looks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Using orbits to capture the areas of interest could be a better bet. Using Litchi
Excellent point! But with the OP being unfamiliar with Litchi, I didn't want to introduce too much at one time if you know what I mean. Good info though, none the less!

(I guess loop-de-loop panoramics and inverted flight mechanics are out of the question then)...
Laughs.

While litchi is good you should look at autopilot from hangar also. The learning curve is claimed by many to be steep but it isn’t once you learn a few basic concepts and it offers significantly more control than litchi. I only use litchi now for flying beyond controller range as it is quick to wack in a rough and dirty waypoint mission. Autopilot will so LCMC waypoint flights now also.

3) Panning Slowly: I am often requested for panoramic video shots. However, the pan speed is so fast and so hard to control that I have a very hard time getting usable footage. I have tried extending the sticks and I have some expo dialed in. I think it is about .35??? but don't quote me on that.
I find that using the POI orbit mode with a small circle (10-15 metre radius) and slow speed works well for this

A big thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

I have been looking at Litchi. Is it fair to say that one could more easily get themselves in to trouble with using Litchi waypoints (as opposed to DJI Go waypoints) because one could easily set the altitude too low and thus crash into a tree / house / kid on a pogo stick??? Maybe there is a good failsafe to not set the altitude too low???

Also, does Litchi have a "simulator" mode so I can practice with it?

I will certainly look in to autopilot as well.

I find that using the POI orbit mode with a small circle (10-15 metre radius) and slow speed works well for this

Hmmm... Interesting. That would (technically) mean it is a parallax view instead of a panorama view, but it would indeed show a wider sweep of the background. It is something to think about. Although i do think having a true panorama view would be nice as well. Can I just turn the yaw expo way down???

Reactions: David_Cambridge
s it fair to say that one could more easily get themselves in to trouble with using Litchi waypoints
That is a fair point, although with Litchi it does give you the option of set altitude vs AGL altitude which references GE. That other plus is that Litchi still uses Google maps by default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.