How tight?

Reaction score
I've noticed the design change on the bell housing on the P3 motors. It's very neat. But it's also difficult to gauge just how tight the props need nipping up.

The P2 props had what felt like metal centres. It was very hard to over tighten. These new props, however, seem to have a lot of give past maximum torque. Having used them myself I could easily foresee a situation where someone overtightens and stretches the plastic, thinking that the prop is secure... but distorting the centre thread so vibration could work it loose. It feels like a bit of a design oversight.

How far do you nip?

I've noticed the design change on the bell housing on the P3 motors. It's very neat. But it's also difficult to gauge just how tight the props need nipping up.

The P2 props had what felt like metal centres. It was very hard to over tighten. These new props, however, seem to have a lot of give past maximum torque. Having used them myself I could easily foresee a situation where someone overtightens and stretches the plastic, thinking that the prop is secure... but distorting the centre thread so vibration could work it loose. It feels like a bit of a design oversight.

How far do you nip?
I use just a gentle tug on the prop holding the motor with my thumb and forefinger-- you wont strip it that way and is will tighten snugly. I don't believe you will over torque by holding the motor house with your thumb and forefinger.

How far do you nip?

Once in a while one of the props seems to get just tight enough that I need the wrench to get it off. But, when I tighten them in the first place, it's only as much pressure as I can generate with my fingers. I guess the braking action sometimes tightens 'em up.

They should be screwed on intill the bottom of the prop is touching the top of the bell. Tho the plastic threads seem pretty tight and if on all the way I cant see how one of them p3 props could ever spin off even if it hit some thing. Tho that would actully turn then on tighter and not losen them due to the direction each motor spins.

Tho maybe if some one obsessively takes there props off and puts then back on lots of times I could see the threads getting worn some.

I tested it and you don't even need to tighten them. The rev takes care of that. What I was wondering though is when the quad breaks.. Does it reverse the direction this loosening the props or sends reverse direction command and continuing the tightening action?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4