How often are the batteries cracking?

Reaction score
Two of my three batteries now have a crack on the front. I haven't dropped one yet. Seems to me they are cracking due to contact inside the battery as they are stressed in the same place. Has DJI been good about making this right?

Contact DJI support. They should replace them if they are under warranty.

Two of my three batteries now have a crack on the front. I haven't dropped one yet. Seems to me they are cracking due to contact inside the battery as they are stressed in the same place. Has DJI been good about making this right?

As three batteries have developed cracks, I suspect contact misalignment in your P4 and not issues with batteries. Please check.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks again DJI for proving that once again, you will deny any fault and not taking responsibility when your product is substandard. I purchased 3 batteries at full retail from you a little more than 6 months ago. All 3 are developing stress fractures just above the 4th led light on battery housing. I have read that this is a known issue and has the potential to cause failure of the tension locks that hold the battery in the aircraft. How foolish of me to think that DJI will stand behind their product. I was told that I just need to purchase new batteries because mine are out of warranty!! I have purchase 4 DJI drones in the past 2 years. A vision 2 plus, 2 phantom 4's and a new Mavic on order. Not to mention thousands of dollars in accessories. So my drones have a 1 year warranty,but batteries only 6 months. Yet, when I have a legitimate issue, you just need to pay us more money! Thanks for the support!!!

All mines have cracks so I have considered if safety impacted, but looks like no risk of failure reported so far. For me this is a key point anyway even not looking nice. But understand what you feel and just saying about risk factor.

Some pilots just put some glue to contain expansion.

Note cracks fixed with new battery batches having number ending with 99 or so.

Last edited:
They are with with 60 days of warranty expiration. However, for a know issue, DJI should cover beyond the 60 days within reason

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have 2 of my 3 batteries cracking. It appears something inside the battery swelling and pushing a component sharp against the face plate. I can feel a slight bump where the cracks are.
1482792596570.jpg
1482792615842.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AZmtnbkr
All my original-run batteries (with the more diffused status and ring LEDs) cracked above the third status LED. DJI replaced them

Reactions: AZmtnbkr
Thank you msinger, I purchased my P4 on August 16th, not sure if the batteries are still under warranty,but I would like to know what causes the cracks? Ill contact DJI and post any response.

It's caused by some type of manufacturing defect. DJI has never publicly announced that, but the problem mostly went away after they released a new version of the battery.

Reactions: cstout
If you have your receipt for buying the batteries I would consider using them until 1 month before the warranty is up. Then contact DJI to turn them in for warranty replacement. I don't think there have been any reports of batteries failing due to these cracks, so I would deem them safe to fly. But that's just me. With an amortized cost of about $1/charge, you could save yourself some bucks if interested. Has anyone seen in DJI literature what the warranty is for batteries?

Last edited:
Reactions: cstout
If you have your receipt for buying the batteries I would consider using them until 1 month before the warranty is up. Then contact DJI to turn them in for warranty replacement. I don't think there have been any reports of batteries failing due to these cracks, so I would deem them safe to fly. But that's just me. With an amortized cost of about $1/charge, you could save yourself some bucks if interested. Has anyone seen in DJI literature what the warranty is for batteries?
What is the $1 charge for?

Wow, is the life expectancy really that poor?
This is what I've heard most people noticing when deviations between cells to be unacceptable, by the standard of Healthy drones. This assumes you take good care of your batteries, and not leave batteries in a hot car in the summer, or letting them sit unused at 15% charge for a month, etc. If you're lucky you'll get 150 charges, but you'll likely have shorter flights even if the cells are of equal duty and charge. Maybe others can chime in on this with their experience of battery replacement and life expectancy.

Nicad,

Please see my earlier posts concerning my battery issues, and DJI's subsequent support:

Cracks on top of batteries

They did right by me, although it DID take a little cajoling.

~Joey

i had the same issue with the first run of batteries i purchased. when i called dji support they were somewhat coy if they would replace them or not. i spoke to a supervisor and got the issue resolved, they sent be brand new batteries to replace the cracked ones! technically they were out of warranty , but they did it anyway!

As three batteries have developed cracks, I suspect contact misalignment in your P4 and not issues with batteries. Please check.

this is a known issue for the first iteration of the P4 batteries with the internal spring hitting the plastic cover and cracking it, i would suspect this is the issue. i havent seen this issue on the new battery revision with the brighter leds

All mines have cracks so I have considered if safety impacted, but looks like no risk of failure reported so far. For me this is a key point anyway even not looking nice. But understand what you feel and just saying about risk factor.

Hi there, could you tell me where to look for the battery number please. When examining the battery I see several numbers. One :- 41CP9/66/79. Another on a "Smart" sticker, 082AD620310MDB .
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic