How much should I charge a car dealership for photos and videos

AMX

Reaction score
I got a phone call from a very high-end car dealer who wants 2 photos of the dealership from the front and then a 5-10 second fly around video.
What do you think I should charge him for raw footage and then edited footage?
He also said he will not agree to licensing so he must own them he said. He said he will use them for TV commercials.

That would be half a day then. That's £300 p/h in the uk. Then you have to edit raw, so more on top.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How about trading for new vehicle?

That depends on how much your time and equipment are worth. Figure up what you "should" make in a day and let that be your base rate. It's a tough sell because many people think "this should only take about 5-10 min so it should be cheap." That's not how it works. Figure travel, time on scene, post flight time (DLing images, image sorting) and then add post processing time at the same rate.

Whatever you do don't sell yourself cheap because that's a dead end road/rabbit hole you'll never get out of.

Since he's wanting to use it on TV make sure all your bases are covered and don't do something that is dangerous or puts bystanders in harm's way or it could come back to haunt you and them.

Good points...

Also figure cost of insurance (flying around high-end cars), equipment wear and tear, costs to obtain 333 exemption and/or hire a licensed Pilot (if in US), gov't. taxes, etc.

It really varies on a case by case basis.

That depends on how much your time and equipment are worth. Figure up what you "should" make in a day and let that be your base rate. It's a tough sell because many people think "this should only take about 5-10 min so it should be cheap." That's not how it works. Figure travel, time on scene, post flight time (DLing images, image sorting) and then add post processing time at the same rate.

Whatever you do don't sell yourself cheap because that's a dead end road/rabbit hole you'll never get out of.

Since he's wanting to use it on TV make sure all your bases are covered and don't do something that is dangerous or puts bystanders in harm's way or it could come back to haunt you and them.

Thank you for your reply, another drone company has a rate of $1400 for a half days of work, client wants 2 front photos of 2 dealerships and a 10 second fly around for both stores...I calcuated about 8 hours for each including post production. I did forget to ask him if he wants them raw or edited. Should I ask him if he wants them raw, edited or both OR is there some common practice I should be aware of?
Also I've read NEVER give up rights to work BUT this is my FIRST job AND when I mentioned the word licensing he said he wont do it unless he owns the images and video and I said what will you use the video for he said TV commercial...

If I fly specifically for a client I give up 99% of the rights but I retain the right to use them on my own website and literature for my own self promotion. Discuss this with them and if they won't cooperate then decide how much you want the work. It might be worth while to give 100% to them so you can get work. Giving 100% shoots you in the foot for promoting your work though.

I always ask raw media or edited and price accordingly. I much prefer RAW and since they have bigger plans that is probably what they want too.

Even when I give RAW media I still go through and clean things up a tad and get rid of the garbage shots.

If I fly specifically for a client I give up 99% of the rights but I retain the right to use them on my own website and literature for my own self promotion. Discuss this with them and if they won't cooperate then decide how much you want the work. It might be worth while to give 100% to them so you can get work. Giving 100% shoots you in the foot for promoting your work though.

I always ask raw media or edited and price accordingly. I much prefer RAW and since they have bigger plans that is probably what they want too.

Even when I give RAW media I still go through and clean things up a tad and get rid of the garbage shots.

OK so now I need a contract with all of this...You got anything? I fly the Inspire 1 Pro X5 (I'm currently in the hole $7000) :)

OK so now I need a contract with all of this...You got anything? I fly the Inspire 1 Pro X5 (I'm currently in the hole $7000) :)
I sign contracts for all of my work. I want to make sure both parties are on the same page and understand what I am and am NOT going to do. Unfortunately it's a CYA world we live in.

I sign contracts for all of my work. I want to make sure both parties are on the same page and understand what I am and am NOT going to do. Unfortunately it's a CYA world we live in.
Yes I understand is there a template you can send me or provide so I have somewhere to start?

Your attorney should have a contract template.
That's where we started as well. Took the template from him and tweaked it until we have a finished and custom product for our work.

I would have to go to the location and have a look. How difficult would it be? Lots of obstacles to work around? Is anyone going to be there to "help" you or watch? (the price goes up if so). A quick in and out, I would charge maybe $250 IF you were wanting to build up some goodwill (before editing)

Also factor in the time you will spend planning the shoot and considering the shoot environment -- such as surrounding obstacles and overhead wires, possible issues with surrounding businesses, local town ordinances, pedestrian traffic, roadway traffic, best place to positioning yourself so you are not obvious in the shot, time of day and sun direction, etc. I always study a Google Earth aerial of any location that I fly to note any special situation that might exist. Also, consider where you will launch from and where your RTH landing spot will be should something go wrong -- and if it will be on a day with a lot of locals milling about, watching the drone, and getting in the shot.

(Jamie beat me to the above points.)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic