How many people actually balance their props?

Reaction score
I've wondered how effective prop balancing really is since this subject can go either way. Some say it isn't necessary and some say it helps in terms of motor longevity and reducing the chances of cracks in the plastic shell from the vibrations of unbalanced props.

I just finished the tedious task of balancing mine and I would like to think it's worth the while. What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438701030.320670.jpg

Last edited:
It's very important to balance the propellers. Think about these things spinning at 9,000 RPMs, and the stress on plastic motor mounts!

I check them when new, and don't worry about it again.

I just got a prop balancer too, haven't balanced them yet. It can't hurt, but can certainly help!

Think of the effect unbalance props have on your video as dampers cannot solve everything not including wear and tear on the rest of the craft. Although DJI does a very good job at the factory there's one or two that need balancing.

I was going to say 7 but that's just a guess. I have never balanced mine on my Phantoms and had no problems. I always did on planes with engines. It's a good thought.

Last edited:
I just got my balancer in a week or so ago and balanced all my standard props and my new carbon fiber ones. Surprisingly, almost all of them were spot on. Very good QA on their behalf. Had to sand a couple of them to balance them. But very little. Certainly nothing even remotely concerning for those that don't. I didn't see any difference in handling since they were already pretty well balanced in the first place. But makes me feel good that they are balanced.

Every other quad, always. On my phantoms, never. With 3rd rate balancing rods, you might be screwing things up more than fixing.

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Every other quad, always. On my phantoms, never. With 3rd rate balancing rods, you might be screwing things up more than fixing.
Why never on your phantoms? Is it because you checked several time and never found them out of balance. As for the rod, I just roll mine on a glass surface to confirm that they are true and that's it. Can't think of anything else that I should be concerned with.

Why never on your phantoms? Is it because you checked several time and never found them out of balance. As for the rod, I just roll mine on a glass surface to confirm that they are true and that's it. Can't think of anything else that I should be concerned with.

It's a combination of both reasons. Phantom props are very good stock. It's not like the gemfan/etc cheap props.

But also, just because the rod is level it does not assure us that the prop is level and ready for balancing. The threads also have to be absolutely perfect. This is the part that worries me.

Lastly, I have not read about any motor issues that could be attributed to running unbalanced props on p2 or p3. If someone has jello issues or if quad was crashed, they should probably balance. Otherwise, balancing attempts could introduce problems if something goes wrong - like not having a perfect rod that also has perfect thread.

Always. Just finished 3 sets. Most were perfect out of the pack but I have 2 props I just can't get balanced.

How about a DIY for newbies like me?

So this is like balance a turbo charger or a simple tyre of a car? Cutting a little here a little there?

I have 20 years of working on helicopters to back this up.

Balancing props will do one thing and one thing only. Increase the longevity of every component on the bird.

Yes, I have balanced mine and always will. I even balance the prop(s) on my R/C airplanes.

Think of the effect unbalance props have on your video as dampers cannot solve everything not including wear and tear on the rest of the craft. Although DJI does a very good job at the factory there's one or two that need balancing.

I did two sets as shown in my picture and only one was dead on. The others needed a good amount of attention.

It's very important to balance the propellers. Think about these things spinning at 9,000 RPMs, and the stress on plastic motor mounts!

I check them when new, and don't worry about it again.

Hmmmm. Cracks in the shell, anyone?

Reactions: Fplvert
Yes I have some cracks under two of the motors but given that the quad is 14 months old and has had a few hard crashes it would impossible to say what cause the cracks. Balancing props will improve performance. I have had prop hubs out of balance mainly ccw props and to balance those I hot glue as it dries fast and cold weather has no effect on the glue.

Always. Just finished 3 sets. Most were perfect out of the pack but I have 2 props I just can't get balanced.

You may have a balance problem with the prop hub.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Mordor

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31