How many people actually balance their props?

Yes I have some cracks under two of the motors but given that the quad is 14 months old and has had a few hard crashes it would impossible to say what cause the cracks. Balancing props will improve performance. I have had prop hubs out of balance mainly ccw props and to balance those I hot glue as it dries fast and cold weather has no effect on the glue.

You may have a balance problem with the prop hub.

Jason, here's the thing about your statement. The prop hub can be out of balance and it won't matter much at all.

Why?

Because it is right on top of the motor. Right in the center of the spinning prop. What makes a HUGE difference is the further out you go from the center of the hub, the more imbalances affect the performance of the prop. At the hub, if the outer surface of the prop blade is spinning at 9,000rpm, the hub speed is CONSIDERABLY lower. At the center of a hub, it might be spinning at 200rpm while at the outer edge of the prop, it might be spinning at 9,000rpm.

Check out full sized helicopter blade balancing for a more complete explanation of how this effects props on a Quad.

You cannot compare the two these are not design to military specs. The better the balance less ware on the bearings and the less vibration transmitted toward the camera.

Have owned 3 Phantom 2s and a Phantom 3 and never balanced any of the props on any of the machines. No issues here.

Not really worried about the longevity as I usually sell them after a couple months.

Most of us could care less what you do Max.

If you're going to try to insult him, at least learn how english works.

it's "couldn't care less".

I hope this is supposed to be a joke. Or sarcasm. [emoji15]

Not at all. It is a FACT that the hub speed is GREATLY less than the prop outer tip speed.

A Helicopter is limited in its forward flight speeds by the tips of the rotor blades. If those blade tips should surpass the speed of sound, nasty things happen.

I would strongly suggest you educate yourself on this topic before making such comments in the future.

Not at all. It is a FACT that the hub speed is GREATLY less than the prop outer tip speed.

A Helicopter is limited in its forward flight speeds by the tips of the rotor blades. If those blade tips should surpass the speed of sound, nasty things happen.

I would strongly suggest you educate yourself on this topic before making such comments in the future.
Are you serious right now? I suggest you educate yourself on what RPM means. Haha Oh my goodness. Speed and RPM's are different. The Revolutions Per Minute will be the same for the hub and tip and opposite tips. I sincerely hope you understand that. This is basic middle school stuff. Yes, the linear velocity of the tip and hub will be different, but that's not what you said. So, settle down Princess and don't be so butt hurt. Haha Even my wife knows the difference. [emoji16]

Always! Balanced my props on my P3P right out of the box and now well over 100 flights. No cracks in the shell, continuing to cross my fingers.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Are you serious right now? I suggest you educate yourself on what RPM means. Haha Oh my goodness. Speed and RPM's are different. The Revolutions Per Minute will be the same for the hub and tip and opposite tips. I sincerely hope you understand that. This is basic middle school stuff. Yes, the linear velocity of the tip and hub will be different, but that's not what you said. So, settle down Princess and don't be so butt hurt. Haha Even my wife knows the difference. [emoji16]

You quoted a post where I correctly said that the hub speed was much less than the prop tip speed.

Granted, in my earlier post, I wasn't correct in saying that the hub RPM was less than the tip RPM.

The overall impression I meant to give was that balancing the prop at the tips was more conducive to proper flight than trying to balance the hub itself.

Thanks for taking such tremendous enjoyment from my misspeaking. I'm sure that made you feel superior in some pathetic way.

You quoted a post where I correctly said that the hub speed was much less than the prop tip speed.

Granted, in my earlier post, I wasn't correct in saying that the hub RPM was less than the tip RPM.

The overall impression I meant to give was that balancing the prop at the tips was more conducive to proper flight than trying to balance the hub itself.

Thanks for taking such tremendous enjoyment from my misspeaking. I'm sure that made you feel superior in some pathetic way.
You're my favorite. [emoji8]

Reactions: dirkclod
Because it is right on top of the motor. Right in the center of the spinning prop. What makes a HUGE difference is the further out you go from the center of the hub, the more imbalances affect the performance of the prop. At the hub, if the outer surface of the prop blade is spinning at 9,000rpm, the hub speed is CONSIDERABLY lower. At the center of a hub, it might be spinning at 200rpm while at the outer edge of the prop, it might be spinning at 9,000rpm.

Um RPM means revolutions per minute. Are you suggesting that the tips of the rotors perform more revolutions in a minute than the hub does? That ludicrous. Yes, they have more angular momentum and speed because they have further to travel in the same time, but that's BECAUSE they have the same rpm.

You might want to consider easing up on the insults until you have your physics correct.

Um RPM means revolutions per minute. Are you suggesting that the tips of the rotors perform more revolutions in a minute than the hub does? That ludicrous. Yes, they have more angular momentum and speed because they have further to travel in the same time, but that's BECAUSE they have the same rpm.

You might want to consider easing up on the insults until you have your physics correct.

Please see my post above. I misspoke. I stand by my assertion that hub speed is much less than tip speed. Please try to catch up before being insulting yourself as I was never insulting in my responses.

Please see my post above. I misspoke. I stand by my assertion that hub speed is much less than tip speed. Please try to catch up before being insulting yourself as I was never insulting in my responses.

That must come from spending much time in helicopter at high altitudes ducking RPG's

Reactions: Youngbill
That must come from spending much time in helicopter at high altitudes ducking RPG's

Didn't spend much time at high altitude without O2. The masks we had to wear were quite confining and I didn't much care for them. Wore it though. Just as many others had to.

Ducking RPG's wasn't something I had to do personally.

I bought the dubro balance, P3 rod and Inspire rods. Everything was leveled, put the props on the bars, only slight challenge with one Inspire prop. I was rather disappointed that nothing I could do to better the balance, didn't matter what angle, the props stayed (and yes they rolled freely).

I will try again at some point but DJI seems to be building quality products.

I have a quick question, for those who balance their props by applying a small piece of scotch tape, do you apply to the top side or under side of the blade? Does it make a difference?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31