How many "nits" does the plus model have?

Would you guys sell the remote and buy crystal sky? I have a second regular remote to attach the crystal sky to if I sell the other remote.

Exactly what I did and very happy w/the 7" model.
A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but not unmanageable.
The batteries seem to last forever.

I have the 5.5 and it's bright enough to be completely visable even under a sunny Colorado sky. And the Android in mine runs GO 4 perfectly. Something that couldn't be said of the three phones and one tablet I used before. I'd gotten used to glitchy "performance" from all of them. Crystalsky has me loving my Phantom and I almost wish I'd kept my Osmo.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Exactly what I did and very happy w/the 7" model.
A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but not unmanageable.
The batteries seem to last forever.
I assume you also used the replacement mounting kit for the Crystal Sky, correct? If yes, can you tell us about the installation? I expect that mount by itself to weigh quite a bit, it looks very beefy. Was it straight-forward to remove the old clip stand on your RC and install that new base mount for Crystal Sky?

If you used the new mount, did you buy the optional CLIP DJI offers to allow the new mount to optionally use an iPad in a clip, in cases where you need to use Litchi, or other third party s/w? Does that clip work better than the standard clip for iPad? It appears to be the same mold (photo below), but I have always wished DJI would make the clips lips another 1/4" deeper, with a slight increase in the angle to hold the device more securely.

upload_2017-8-17_10-43-3.png

upload_2017-8-17_10-43-49.png

Have you ever wished it was brighter ?

I will echo other responses here, with the sun to your back, it is still totally visible, and not one glitch or random boot ever.

The mount is actually very light, and what is interesting, when you are flying, the perceived weight of the unit seems to vanish, I never thought is was too heavy when flying, only when handling it at home does it seem to have a bit of a heft to it.

I will echo other responses here, with the sun to your back, it is still totally visible, and not one glitch or random boot ever.

The mount is actually very light, and what is interesting, when you are flying, the perceived weight of the unit seems to vanish, I never thought is was too heavy when flying, only when handling it at home does it seem to have a bit of a heft to it.
So have you tried to play your 4K drone video, inserting the SD card in the Crystal Sky and output it via HDMI to a 4K TV, using the Crystal sky as a video playback unit, detached from the RC? For me, that's a unique feature (if it works) that adds great value to that product.

So, when you say "sun to your back", does this mean your screen is in the shadow of your body? Or are you saying with the sun from behind shining on the display? I look forward to seeing one of those devices in the outdoor sunlight.

When there are no trees to find shade, I fly with my iPad in the shadow of my body all the time to maximize screen visibility, that's why I ask. I also use umbrella's sometimes, clamped to my flight chair.

So, when you say "sun to your back", does this mean your screen is in the shadow of your body? Or are you saying with the sun from behind shining on the display? I look forward to seeing one of those devices in the outdoor sunlight.

When there are no trees to find shade, I fly with my iPad in the shadow of my body all the time to maximize screen visibility, that's why I ask. I also use umbrella's sometimes, clamped to my flight chair.

Hi John,
Full sun beating down on the screen, still looks good.
I do not have a 4K panel, but ran it through an HD panel. and the picture is super letterboxed. Both top and sides have bars, but the pic looks good, some small moire, but not bad.
The CS stays on the whole time, and there are navigation controls on the CS.
You can also play the cached video, and the sound comes through the HDMI and plays on the destination, the CS speaker is muted.
HTH

Hi John,
Full sun beating down on the screen, still looks good.
I do not have a 4K panel, but ran it through an HD panel. and the picture is super letterboxed. Both top and sides have bars, but the pic looks good, some small moire, but not bad.
The CS stays on the whole time, and there are navigation controls on the CS.
You can also play the cached video, and the sound comes through the HDMI and plays on the destination, the CS speaker is muted.
HTH
Would you mind clarifying?

Did you play 4K video through the CS via HDMI to a 1080 TV? And this resulted in black bars top, bottom, left and right? Have you tried playing 1080 video to a 1080 TV?
When you say the CS stays on the whole time.... you mean you left it on attached to the RC the whole time? Can you confirm it works the same when detached from the RC using it's own battery? Of course the CS has to stay on to play the SD card, and you'd need some menus in the screen to choose settings (I assume) and start and stop the video, as well as select which video file you want to play from the SD card, right? Is that what you mean, the CS screen is always on?

If it plays 4K SD cards through HDMI to a 4K TV, that's going to be very useful. That's what I'd like to confirm for functionality. The other huge question is, will it also decode H.265 files from the drone and play them to a 4K screen? The manual says it does, but we all know DJI fudges sometimes. I'm very curious how well this works, because there's nothing else on the market that can conveniently play drone SD cards to a 4K TV (via HDMI) with H.265 encoding in h/w. That's bleeding edge today.

Today I couldn't buy one of these CS tablets due to incompatibility. As of today's release notes, the new CS firmware requires craft firmware V02.02.09.00, and I'm not going there for a while.

John, that's the first reference I've seen to "flight chair ". Took me a few flights before I realized sitting down was a much more relaxing position to fly in.

Would you mind clarifying?

Did you play 4K video through the CS via HDMI to a 1080 TV? And this resulted in black bars top, bottom, left and right? Have you tried playing 1080 video to a 1080 TV?
When you say the CS stays on the whole time.... you mean you left it on attached to the RC the whole time? Can you confirm it works the same when detached from the RC using it's own battery? Of course the CS has to stay on to play the SD card, and you'd need some menus in the screen to choose settings (I assume) and start and stop the video, as well as select which video file you want to play from the SD card, right? Is that what you mean, the CS screen is always on?

If it plays 4K SD cards through HDMI to a 4K TV, that's going to be very useful. That's what I'd like to confirm for functionality. The other huge question is, will it also decode H.265 files from the drone and play them to a 4K screen? The manual says it does, but we all know DJI fudges sometimes. I'm very curious how well this works, because there's nothing else on the market that can conveniently play drone SD cards to a 4K TV (via HDMI) with H.265 encoding in h/w. That's bleeding edge today.

Today I couldn't buy one of these CS tablets due to incompatibility. As of today's release notes, the new CS firmware requires craft firmware V02.02.09.00, and I'm not going there for a while.

Certainly.

I tried 4K, 2K, and 1080, all H264, all going to a 1080 panel. All looked the same. I have attached a screen shot of the crop.

re: "stays on the whole time...." - Yes, I removed the CS from the controller, and it does stay on the whole time, which makes total sense now as you need to control the video, I guess at first I thought it would go off, like screen mirror or something along those lines, so this is good.

I next tried 4K H265, and it does indeed play to the 1080 panel "almost" just fine. There is some lag, and it seems like it is running at about 95% speed. When playing on the CS, it is fine, perhaps down converting to 1080 was the cause, but I cannot give this a valid test as I do no have a 4K panel.

Hope this helps!
Rick

Attachments

• 20170818_105758.jpg
    20170818_105758.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 256
Certainly.

I tried 4K, 2K, and 1080, all H264, all going to a 1080 panel. All looked the same. I have attached a screen shot of the crop.

re: "stays on the whole time...." - Yes, I removed the CS from the controller, and it does stay on the whole time, which makes total sense now as you need to control the video, I guess at first I thought it would go off, like screen mirror or something along those lines, so this is good.

I next tried 4K H265, and it does indeed play to the 1080 panel "almost" just fine. There is some lag, and it seems like it is running at about 95% speed. When playing on the CS, it is fine, perhaps down converting to 1080 was the cause, but I cannot give this a valid test as I do no have a 4K panel.

Hope this helps!
Rick
Hey, good info. I'm surprised of the lag and/or slowness of H.265, as this codec is touted to be a more efficient compression technique. Maybe they meant efficient in storage space, and it's more difficult to decompress. Interesting observation.

I assume you have searched for settings in the app to adjust the aspect ratio and/or display size, correct? It would seem DJI would have noticed this. Have you tried communicating with BladeStrike to see if he can help? He's likely got one of these for testing (DJI employee).

Last edited:
John, that's the first reference I've seen to "flight chair ". Took me a few flights before I realized sitting down was a much more relaxing position to fly in.
Oh yeah, my flight chair serves 4 purposes:
1. When I grab my backpack, chair and umbrella from the car and start walking to my planned launch site, anyone that sees me doesn't blink an eye. I look like a photographer out for a shoot.
2. While flying my drone, someone that sees me sitting down in a chair looking down at an iPad is less striking to passerby curiosity than someone standing out in the open looking at the sky. I get bothered less, and less chance of someone looking for a reason to complain.
3. It's way more pleasurable to sit and fly, and it's more accurate flying the drone, easier to make smooth cinematic moves.
4. It can hold my small clamp-on umbrella in any position to give me shade for the iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDad1985 and Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl