How many flying hours before my engines fail or need replacement

Don’t DJI recommend they are changed every 12 months or something crazy like that?

Crazy is right.

Please note that the props will have an approximate lifespan of 200 flights if you mount them in a proper way. I think you should do a pre-flight check for motor to confirm that they have not
become loose and if you hear some abnormal noise of motor. You should send it back for check.
You can read the maintenance manual through our website: Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI.

Please note that the props will have an approximate lifespan of 200 flights if you mount them in a proper way. I think you should do a pre-flight check for motor to confirm that they have not
become loose and if you hear some abnormal noise of motor. You should send it back for check.
You can read the maintenance manual through our website: Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI.
I read the (Inspire 2015) maintenance manual DJI Elektra refers to http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/inspire_1/en/Inspire_1_Maintenance_ManualV1.0_en.pdf
It has no mention of replacing props after any number of hours.
The closest it comes is to recommend comprehensive maintenance be performed after every 200 flight.
Here's the comprehensive maintenance they advise for propellers:

Checking the Propellers
1. Check the propellers. If there is any bending,breakage or cracking on a propeller, do not use it.
2. Attach the propeller to the motor, turn on the aircraft,and place it on the ground. Stand 1 meter away from the aircraft and observe the rotating propellers.
If you can see two distinct propeller outline layers, when looking at a spinning propeller from the side, this propeller is damaged and should not be used.

Unfortunately the DJI moderators on the DJI forum aren't reliable sources of accurate information.
There are many cases of them giving contradictory or wrong advice.

Yea, compass compensation frequency is another past dubious ‘claim’.

Makes sense given the likely profit margin on props.

Reactions: chazzm

I've got a P3P with the following "stats" on the original props, motors, and everything. The only thing I've changed is the "colored arm labels" on this particular aircraft.
Active Flights: 773
Total Air Time: 86h 11m 27s

Oh man. After how many hours am I supposed to change those?

;-)

Blades are inspected and replaced if any signs of damage/wear are evident.

See what part of your message I quoted. ;-)

LOL I totally missed that :) My bad :)

I changed them because I had one of the gold ones start to peel up and it never would stick again. I'd estimate it was around 20 hrs in LOL.

Don’t DJI recommend they are changed every 12 months or something crazy like that?
I've never seen that recommendation. You should change them when you notice any signs of damage.

Small nicks and scratches.....add UP to a badly balanced prop........I believe that accelerates the motor pod cracks....I check the balance on all my "new" OEM Dji props...most all are Right ON.....but a few are not...and a slight piece of tape fixes that ! a nicely balanced prop spins with less effort then a damaged one....as nicks and scratches especially On the leading edge sure screw Up the airfoil their !

Small nicks and scratches.....add UP to a badly balanced prop........I believe that accelerates the motor pod cracks....I check the balance on all my "new" OEM Dji props...most all are Right ON.....but a few are not...and a slight piece of tape fixes that ! a nicely balanced prop spins with less effort then a damaged one....as nicks and scratches especially On the leading edge sure screw Up the airfoil their !
I think tape changes the airflow (creates micro turbulence) and may add its own stresses. I prefer to sand some mass off the concave part of the blade.

Last edited:
Think what you want to.....my tape is wrapped over the leading edge and close to the hub...have you done wind tunnel tests to know that !.i hate to think what all them sand scratches do Yikes !.... what you do cant be un done.

Think what you want to.....my tape is wrapped over the leading edge and close to the hub...have you done wind tunnel tests to know that !.i hate to think what all them sand scratches do Yikes !.... what you do cant be un done.
Close to the hub has less effect than further out. So you’ll have to add even more weight than a piece of tape further out. Please don’t be antagonistic or take my comments as antagonistic. I’m getting a little tired of the pissing matches here. I tried to be courteous and share my understanding of the aerodynamics. I didn’t boast and throw around my physics creds. I tried to appeal to common sense and fairly basic aerodynamics. A hard edge of a 1mm thick tape is going to cause more turbulence than a sanded patch. Period. Will it be enough to make a difference? You are right. I don’t really know. I didn’t do a wind tunnel test. I was offering my considered viewpoint. One which others have agreed with by the way. Take it or leave it.

After reading about Southwest plane engine failure, what is the longevity of my P4 engines?

If you change your engines oil and filter every 5000klms then I would think your golden. Probably a good idea to change plugs at the required interval as indicated in your owners manual. Keep an eye on your air filter.

BTW you, me or anyone here is not a pilot and you’re not flying an airplane. What we are all doing is playing with an expensive kids toy. Play with it till it wears out then throw it out and get the latest and greatest gadget.....Drone?

After reading about Southwest plane engine failure, what is the longevity of my P4 engines?

I would say forever in general unless some foreign material gets into the motors to cause physical damage

I started flying at age 8 and I'm just about to turn 70 and to date I've never had a prop fail on me yet. I did have one of those prop retainers fail, but that was on a friend's plane. There's no way I'd trust an O ring to hold my props on :) Hang on, I assume you're not including those which shatter on impact with an immovable object. And no Jaybee2786, I've never had one hit a train either. :)

Reactions: N017RW

I've heard that geese are horrible when sucked into those turbofans, so keep your drone away from geese and you should be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT