How many are running the 30 degree upward tilt?

Reaction score
Like some of you folks, I find myself needing more sky in a lot of my shots. I am just curious how many of you folks are running your gimbal/camera with the upward tilt? Since I have not tried it yet: is it adjustable or is it 30 up or nothing in between?

is it adjustable or is it 30 up or nothing in between?
When enabled, it's adjustable up to 30 degrees. You can control the camera with the wheel -- just like you do when you tilt it down.

Msinger, do you run it on yours? If so at what degree, to keep the props out of the pic?

I don't use it. If the props are in the pic, then try flying backward. That'll cause the Phantom to tilt and should allow you to tilt the camera up further.

Reactions: Lefty63 and Digdat0
Yes, I am aware of the backwards flight, but that was not really my intention for the OP. I was trying to find out who is using this setting to go beyond "level" and to what degree to avoid props. Or at least minimize props.

In that case, you're going to need to lay out the specific scenario:
  • Are you shooting video or photos?
  • Is your Phantom traveling forward or backward?
  • How fast is your Phantom traveling?
  • How fast is the wind blowing?
  • What ISO is the camera set to?
I guess you can see where this is heading. There is not a specific angle that works well in every scenario.

Like some of you folks, I find myself needing more sky in a lot of my shots. I am just curious how many of you folks are running your gimbal/camera with the upward tilt? Since I have not tried it yet: is it adjustable or is it 30 up or nothing in between?
That's what you have to do if you want to capture great skies.
Sometimes you have to do a little tidying up in Photoshop if you want extra high.
682-702a-XL.jpg

I run my phanton 3P with the 30 degree up angle enabled. No set angle to make sure props aren't in the pic...lots of variables with each flight as already stated so just have to look at each capture to make sure props aren't there.

I have +30 enabled but don't go above 0 if flight. I use it mainly when hovering for shooting frames for later stitching to pano's. If props are in frame u just remove them with the content aware tools in photoshop pre stitching. I'd rather have the extra sky to crop out later than not have enough. A bit of fiddling but often worth the effort.

I have the extended range enabled as well. I do occasionally get props in frame but I shoot 4K and almost always finish in 1080, so it's pretty rare to get it bad enough I can't push in or cut around it

Yeah, it's come in handy a few times, especially if flying low with any chance of obstacles nearby. Nice just to look up and check.

Also, I believe that when I use DronePan for panos, now with +30 on it does a higher shot, giving more of the sky! Again, you may get some props in the shot but that's fixable with a little magic.

That's what you have to do if you want to capture great skies.
Sometimes you have to do a little tidying up in Photoshop if you want extra high.
682-702a-XL.jpg
Wow, You are lightyears ahead of me of quality of photos. Nice Work !

I have +30 enabled but don't go above 0 if flight. I use it mainly when hovering for shooting frames for later stitching to pano's. If props are in frame u just remove them with the content aware tools in photoshop pre stitching. I'd rather have the extra sky to crop out later than not have enough. A bit of fiddling but often worth the effort.

It's just as easy to clone more sky in using photoshop as it is to edit out props.

It's just as easy to clone more sky in using photoshop as it is to edit out props.
Perhaps. I have done both. I am comfortable with my workflow. I noticed an error in my post where I said "u" instead of "I". My intent was to say what I do. I prefer the content aware tools particularity where there is a lot of detail in the sky as for me it gives a more natural looking outcome.

I shoot more stills than video. When I have a great sky & doing panos I'll do a row tilted up, centered and down to get three rows for stitching.
If props show a bit, Photoshop a bit and done.
7cbd43c01c45fd1c18f5b8c448696440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Lefty63

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.