How is the video signal sent

Reaction score
So I crashed my drone. Which tore the gimbal ribbon cable and now when I turn the drone on and connect the app I lose the signal every 5 too 10 seconds before it recovers is the gimbal ribbon cable needed for stable connection or have I damaged one of the radio transmitters
Cheers for any help given

The Camera and Gimbal Control Board is inside the little 1/2" thick square Block, that the Gimbal arm is attached to.... It is the 2.4 ghz transmitter, gimble Motor controllers and Camera Controller.... 3 or 4 things on that One Board..... I crashed my Drone 2 yrs ago and the Gimbal was Ripped off the Drone... I replaced a Bent arm, New Cable Set for the Gimbal, and New Drone Body and Lucked out and the Camera and Gimbal Worked Fine....
This Year I took off and Had the Camera Protecter Plate in the Wrong Spot, so when I angled the Camera Down, It Hung up on the Plate and was stuck there until I could Land.... These Camera's and Gimbal Controllers run extremely Hot, and are Cooled by the Prop Wash....
Now My Video Feed will Stop after One Flight, because the Control Board has been over heated..... But.... The Camera will still take Pictures and Video.... You Just have no Real time Video transmitted... so you Can't Aim the Camera...... Fine as long as you don't touch the Gimbal control wheel.....
So Looks Like I'll have to Replace the Control Board....

Reactions: morgan5518
So Looks Like I'll have to Replace the Control Board....
I'm curious. Are they terrible expensive? I may possibly need one for my P3S crash repair. Now that I know from you what to look for if it doesn't work correctly after I fix the obvious damage which is yaw arm, ribbon cable, WiFi antennae and 2 busted props...

I'm curious. Are they terrible expensive? I may possibly need one for my P3S crash repair. Now that I know from you what to look for if it doesn't work correctly after I fix the obvious damage which is yaw arm, ribbon cable, WiFi antennae and 2 busted props...
I would Suggest that you fix the Broken Stuff First and See How it Flies.....
Always check the Bottom of the Motor Mounts, at the ends of the Arms for Cracking... It's the Weakest Point, from the Torque and Flexing, that 10 in prop disk is applying to that thin area under the motors... I bought and installed CNC machined Plates to Spread the force over the whole arm... not just the 4 screw heads....
Knowing how DJI Limit's everyone and their Drones by Programming... and Detuning the Power of the Radios, I have run my equipment back, before they started Restricting the Radio's, The Gimbal Control Board I just bought New is coming from China, for around 75.... New Complete Camera and Gimbal Assembely from Canada... was 200 on Ebay... You can buy used... 40-80 ... But have they been upgraded and restricted by the Software..... We discussed this back in 2017.... when the Phantom 4 came out and all of a sudden, all of the 3 Series.... were being restricted to 200 ft..
My Problem started from a Hung up Camera, and it Over heating the whole Gimbal control board....
It will act Normal from Cold... Through One Battery, then there is No Video to the Phone after that..... The Camera is still filming and taking pictures.... You just don't know where.... screen is Black...

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Ok. I've checked the arms and motor mounts. No cracks or other damage beyond minor scratches. I'll get repair parts tomorrow and I'll set in on repair tomorrow night, hopefully... I agree with you on fixing what's broke first. I was mostly curious about price/availability if I do need the board. I'll check eBay if it doesn't work. I use this thing mostly for the real-time view so I need it to work. Thanks for the input!

Brad

Need to ask about the CNC plates...? What are they called? How much weight do they add? Any other protection I need?

Last edited:
Ok. I've checked the arms and motor mounts. No cracks or other damage beyond minor scratches. I'll get repair parts tomorrow and I'll set in on repair tomorrow night, hopefully... I agree with you on fixing what's broke first. I was mostly curious about price/availability if I do need the board. I'll check eBay if it doesn't work. I use this thing mostly for the real-time view so I need it to work. Thanks for the input!

Brad

Need to ask about the CNC plates...? What are they called? How much weight do they add? Any other protection I need?
I bought Mine off of Ebay..... There were 4 Gold Anodized Bottom Plates with New Bolts, metal spacers.... You need to remove the Motor Hold Down screws and a couple of other ones, and Use BLUE LOCTIGHT on the Bolts so they don't get loose and Fall Out..........

Just Got the New Gimble Control Board, from China, and Installed it this Evening.... What a Pain.... Just Remember to Keep yourself Grounded while working on these Naked Boards....Will Try it tomorrow..... See How it Does.........

I replaced all visibly damaged parts, but ended up needing flat ribbon cable on the camera/gimbal. Ordered it and I'm currently waiting for it's arrival. "New to me" drone is working flawlessly in its stead right now, but my daughter's gettin kinda cranky I've taken over "her" new toy...
Hay season makes tinkering on my toys rather difficult when days start before sunrise and end well after dark.
I love my job...
I love my job...
I love my job...
Nope. Still not feelin it. ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic