How is RC range after the latest fw update ?

Reaction score
has anyone experienced an improvement on the poor rc range with the latest fw ? Or has it gotten worse ?

mine has been the same, I was looking for a difference and it just isn't there

Im lucky to break 800m @ 50M altitude over Water - not impressed with the P4 so far I have to say.
If you cannot get farther over water something is wrong, have you tried setting a channel manually? When you manually select the best channel, also select the bitrate and set it to 4mbps instead of 10. Have you watched the DJI antenna best practices video?

If you cannot get farther over water something is wrong, have you tried setting a channel manually? When you manually select the best channel, also select the bitrate and set it to 4mbps instead of 10. Have you watched the DJI antenna best practices video?

Hi,

Yes I've watched these videos when I first had my P3P.

Here's an example of a recent flight I just did a few hours ago

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I'll experiment with a variety of channel setting next flight. I'll see which is the strongest and set it as a constant. 4mbps is my current setting too.

maybe you could also try it on auto or closely monitor the channels during flight and switch if you encounter interference.

Looking at your location, it doesn't matter if your flying over water, if your surrounded by interference from different businesses etc. Try going to another location away from buildings, houses etc....from my experience it can make a big difference, unless your lightbridge unit is defective?

Your only 50m above water though, unless your data shows different, I didn't look. I'd bet $$ that if you fly to at least 300' you'll be so much better off, 150' isn't that high, the further you want to fly, the higher you need to go, period. Radio waves propagate up and out, at 150' it makes it hard to go very far, I'm using a Itlite antenna and still wouldn't think that's high enough, if I was trying for some distance. I've not lost signal, I've come across some pixelation and video noise, but my P4 has not lost signal yet, and I am in a high noise area for sure, Lake area with a resort and golf courses and million dollar homes with all sorts of Wifi traffic

Nobody I have seen mention this, I wonder if, DJI did leave everything the same as P3P and even upped the amperage from transmitter like they say (nominal, like .05amp or something ) the P3P you could see the antenna on the craft in places, the P4 enclosed all of the wires, and uses a more robust heavier plastic, that in itself may not seem like much, to DJI either prolly, but if I run into range trouble, I'd think about trying to run slats or something in the legs so the antennas are out in open

Just hit 2,550 meters / 8366 ft today. That's the furthest I have pushed it to date. I did the FW update last night. That was clear LOS, but started in a residential area and flew into open hills. Never lost RC / Video, full bars.

Last edited:
Im lucky to break 800m @ 50M altitude over Water - not impressed with the P4 so far I have to say.
If that's the case then maybe I should purchase the Parrot Bebop 2.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

has anyone experienced an improvement on the poor rc range with the latest fw ? Or has it gotten worse ?
worse, before I was getting well over 500m now I am only getting around 50 or so before I losing connection..

Like glass, plastic is transparent to the Phantom's 2.4 Ghz radio signals. Exposing the antenna will have no effect on your range.

Nobody I have seen mention this, I wonder if, DJI did leave everything the same as P3P and even upped the amperage from transmitter like they say (nominal, like .05amp or something ) the P3P you could see the antenna on the craft in places, the P4 enclosed all of the wires, and uses a more robust heavier plastic, that in itself may not seem like much, to DJI either prolly, but if I run into range trouble, I'd think about trying to run slats or something in the legs so the antennas are out in open

Like glass, plastic is transparent to the Phantom's 2.4 Ghz radio signals. Exposing the antenna will have no effect on your range.
Ok, but doesn't glass also bend the spectrum? I mean, radio signals are just another form for electromagnetic wavelengths, at one end of the spectrum and therefor, like the light emitting waves, wouldn't it have SoME effect? Im asking by the way I'm not stating any facts.
it seems the proof is in the pudding here, the power on bird side, and the TX side are lower, a lot lower then previous earlier P3P devices like the GL300A's.
I have a 300B with the crappy plastic inside that's too brittle and breaks apart, too late for me tho, I've traded the brand new P4 for the new dual 3W boosters kit. And ordered that huge new antenna that's 14dB, vs the std 9dB one a lot of us use and love. If I can get a small light package to my sister 1.7 miles away over a lake, past a resort with twin 22 story hotels (tallest things around by 18 stories) I'll be stoked, it would also be a cool video

I fly from inside my truck all the time & can't tell any difference in range at all. I'm not a physicist but I believe for the glass to appreciably affect the signal it would have to be shaped & designed for that specific purpose...like a prism is designed with a specific shape to separate composite light into a spectrum.

Ok, but doesn't glass also bend the spectrum? I mean, radio signals are just another form for electromagnetic wavelengths, at one end of the spectrum and therefor, like the light emitting waves, wouldn't it have SoME effect? Im asking by the way I'm not stating any facts.
it seems the proof is in the pudding here, the power on bird side, and the TX side are lower, a lot lower then previous earlier P3P devices like the GL300A's.
I have a 300B with the crappy plastic inside that's too brittle and breaks apart, too late for me tho, I've traded the brand new P4 for the new dual 3W boosters kit. And ordered that huge new antenna that's 14dB, vs the std 9dB one a lot of us use and love. If I can get a small light package to my sister 1.7 miles away over a lake, past a resort with twin 22 story hotels (tallest things around by 18 stories) I'll be stoked, it would also be a cool video

I fly from inside my truck all the time & can't tell any difference in range at all. I'm not a physicist but I believe for the glass to appreciably affect the signal it would have to be shaped & designed for that specific purpose...like a prism is designed with a specific shape to separate composite light into a spectrum.
That makes some sense, so car windshields aren't going to lower distance at all then? That's good to know, I mean, I've heard and seen guys doing it, The couple times I've done it, I usually have drivers window down and point out of it, in tx here to be able to sit in AirCo can be difference in enjoying or not enjoying a flight

I like to park with the truck facing my primary direction of flight. I rotate the steering wheel so it is upside down, the RC handle hooks the remote on the wheel perfectly, sit the bird outside the truck, & away I go. I even get decent range to the sides & rear!

That makes some sense, so car windshields aren't going to lower distance at all then? That's good to know, I mean, I've heard and seen guys doing it, The couple times I've done it, I usually have drivers window down and point out of it, in tx here to be able to sit in AirCo can be difference in enjoying or not enjoying a flight

Reactions: Sim597 and Myetkt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20