How hot is too hot?

Considering the cost of a dji smart battery, seems like the batteries would have additional means to help keep them cool.

The air vents on the sides of the battery bay are not signed very well for intake cooling. However, if you knew prior to flight that the battery would be subject to reaching high temps, something I would recommend that should help to cool it down is to rotate the A/C to the point in which the right or left side became the forward direction. You shouldn't have to do that process very long as allowing air to now travel through the side vent over & under the battery and out the other side.

How about chilling the battery some before flight?.not too much but some to help with heat later in flight.

You can get one of those compressed air cans to blow out ones keyboard and invert it to blow out the super chilled propellant directly on your battery and that will cool it down rapidly.

Its fairly portable as well since its just can sized.

I've seen it posted that cooling a battery before flight is not recommended because there is a possible problem with condensation when you take a chilled battery and put it in a warm environment.

I've seen it posted that cooling a battery before flight is not recommended because there is a possible problem with condensation when you take a chilled battery and put it in a warm environment.

Those guys in Arizona probably wouldn't have that problem. But, here in Florida .....

-- Roger

I never thought about that. So you can take an ice cold bottled coke outside in Albuquerque and it stays dry?

Pretty cool

Today I landed with the drone battery at 72ºC or 163ºF, and 3% charge. It was the closest I've been to dropping dead mid-air. The lowest voltage per cell I got during flight (according to the CSV log) was 3.37V.
I got the "Overheated during discharge" red warning message on the DJI Go app but I don't know what consequences that has.
The battery was at 89ºF when I took off, so the weather was hot but not too hot.
I'm glad I don't have the newer firmwares because if I had gotten reduced propulsion I would have crashed over the river (the older FW I have never reduces my propulsion speed).

Here's the flight:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

What happened was that I was 13000 ft out chasing a container ship. I tested the return speed in ATTI mode and it was 58ft/s (speed at which it came back), so I calculated I had to initiate the return at 47% battery. But when I actually began returning, the wind changed and I returned at 44ft/s on average. Big surprise! I was flying over water so there was no plan B. I'm changing the Excel sheet I use to calculate on the spot when I must return to be more conservative regarding potential wind changes.

How about chilling the battery some before flight?.not too much but some to help with heat later in flight.
If the battery temperature is less than 15ºC you get reduced performance (the DJI Go app says so). I would be careful with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31