How fast do you fly?

31mph or 14ms has been tested to be the best speed for max results.

Last edited:
efficiency
Do you mean meters/sec?

I max my forward throttle but keep it in GPS. AFAIK, that's what the world class distance guys do too

Yes that is correct. Should be 31mph or 14ms. Thanks for the heads up!

Good. Thank you.

There have been a number of threads in the past discussing this and as I remember, most people believe(d) that max throttle in GPS was most efficient but somebody did a test and claimed that slightly less than max throttle in GPS was slightly more efficient than max throttle in GPS. And that equates with what Frank says above.

Good. Thank you.

There have been a number of threads in the past discussing this and as I remember, most people believe(d) that max throttle in GPS was most efficient but somebody did a test and claimed that slightly less than max throttle in GPS was slightly more efficient than max throttle in GPS. And that equates with what Frank says above.

I read flight log data daily. And in looking at my flights and others, the R/C Stick input is not the greatest. One downfall to that is, it is one of the most neglected in the way that pilots don't do a good job at calibrating their R/C's. Some say they calibrated on day #1 and nothing else since.
Anyway, what I wanted to get pointed out was, you can hold the sticks at 75% to not run full throttle for whatever your reason. But the data shows the sticks were actually at 100% input and not the 75% input.

It wont hurt anything to calibrate your R/C's every once in awhile. 20-30 flights would a good target number to calibrate. And don't forget to also calibrate the Gimbal Thumb Wheel which is located on the same page you calibrate the sticks from. Roll the thumb wheel from one end point to the other several times before selecting finish.

If I am not mistaken, the best battery life is Atti mode since, you are reducing the drain of GPS. THE 31mph is what I have seen before but, it is highly dependent on wind speed. I was going out at about 55mph at 75% throttle with a nice tailwind. Unfortunately, missed getting home by a little over a mile [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

That makes sense logically, but if you think about it, GPS is still best for efficiency. If you're heading into a certain direction and GPS is not fighting the wind for you and keeping the AC direction aligned, then you will have to fight the wind manually which won't be as efficient as the computer doing it for you. And you'll almost certainly end up taking a longer path.

Also, there is more to ATTI than the manual leads one to believe. It's not just about lack of GPS. ATTI is like injecting nitro to a gas engine. It makes the motors race. It's similar to "sport mode" in the P4. But at full throttle, it causes the battery to come down in charge quickly and is inefficient. And at full throttle, it's also dangerous on the latter end of the flight because voltage lag is more pronounced which can cause auto land or worse.

That makes sense logically, but if you think about it, GPS is still best for efficiency. If you're heading into a certain direction and GPS is not fighting the wind for you and keeping the AC direction aligned, then you will have to fight the wind manually which won't be as efficient as the computer doing it for you. And you'll almost certainly end up taking a longer path.

Also, there is more to ATTI than the manual leads one to believe. It's not just about lack of GPS. ATTI is like injecting nitro to a gas engine. It makes the motors race. It's similar to "sport mode" in the P4. But at full throttle, it causes the battery to come down in charge quickly and is inefficient. And at full throttle, it's also dangerous on the latter end of the flight because voltage lag is more pronounced which can cause auto land or worse.

That may explain my forced landing into the middle of a corn field a little over a mile away. I was gong for distance, - little over 4 miles, and thought Atti was the most efficient. I'll try GPS next time. - Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers