HOW FAR CAN YOU FLY ? _______________________ 9.80 Miles ???

Re: HOW FAR CAN YOU FLY ? _______________________ 9.19 Miles

OK here is my second attempt. I thought I could for sure get over 9 miles. I got 8.95. I used the same battery I used the first time but it has a few more cycles on it. I used course lock and I used ATTI mode thinking it would be smoother and less harsh on the battery on the turns. I might have been right, but I did not get nearly as much flight time as I did before. I pushed it has hard as I could way past 0% battery left. In fact, it died and fell out of the air. It was only about 8 feet or so in the air and when it died. It flipped over and landed exactly upside down on its top. That was probably the best case scenario I could have hoped for in a crash. I was then asked to leave by security since it was private property, so I agreed. Otherwise I wanted to try another round with the 2 other batteries I had.
Take a look at the change in altitude though while I was flying. For the most part I did not touch the height except to try to get it higher when I finally noticed it would go down on my long runs. If I would let up off the throttle, It would rise back up but full throttle would cause it to go down as it moved forward. I nearly crashed in a tree when I went over the road. I lost camera signal (another issue) but I knew I had gone up higher than anything in the area when I started my loops. I don't know if that is an issue with ATTI mode or something else. I almost set a new speed record for myself as well with 44.8 mph with no wind. So you are safe for now lsteigerwalt, or at least until I get my batteries charged up and find a new open field.

Attachments

• new flight distance personal record - 8-95.JPG
    new flight distance personal record - 8-95.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 386

Click on the aircraft link ( BUZZING FLUFFY BLACKOPS WANDERING BIRD) in flytrex and you can see the records for that aircraft.
MISSIONS 15 MAX ALTITUDE 3022 ft
MAX SPEED 78.20 mph TRAVEL 75.1 mi
MAX ASCENT 1020 ft MAX DISTANCE 3.8 mi

Wheat said:
Take a look at the change in altitude though while I was flying. For the most part I did not touch the height except to try to get it higher when I finally noticed it would go down on my long runs. If I would let up off the throttle, It would rise back up but full throttle would cause it to go down as it moved forward. I nearly crashed in a tree when I went over the road. I lost camera signal (another issue) but I knew I had gone up higher than anything in the area when I started my loops. I don't know if that is an issue with ATTI mode or something else.

It is normal that it bleeds altitude at max speed in ATTI mode. It allows the aircraft more leeway in pitch, so you get higher speed but she looses altitude. I often use ATTI when returning from a long-range flight and I am high up. I keep an eye on the altimeter as she returns at max speed so I am descending while bringing her home.

Wheat said:
Click on the aircraft link ( BUZZING FLUFFY BLACKOPS WANDERING BIRD) in flytrex and you can see the records for that aircraft.
MISSIONS 15 MAX ALTITUDE 3022 ft
MAX SPEED 78.20 mph TRAVEL 75.1 mi
MAX ASCENT 1020 ft MAX DISTANCE 3.8 mi

Well you come over here so you can see what i have in my house and what i use to fly around with.
I will send you my coordinates in PM if you intend to make the trip.
I can understand you have questions about it, to see it with your own eyes will be the only way to make sure what you see.

lsteigerwalt said:
Well gang Im grounded for awhile. Took 80 of my fifth grade students to camp for 2 nights and 3 days last week. Thursday I fell and fractured 2 vertebra, broke a rib, and bruised a kidney. Went to the ER, got pumped full of pain meds and dragged myself back to camp to spend the night and finish out friday. Needless to say Im not flying right now...get those things in the air and crush those records...lets see some movement on that board...and just a heads up....BEWARE THE DBS...he has something up his sleeve,lol...

Crikes dude! :shock:
See what happens when kids are involved! ;)
Feel better! :D

Wheat said:
With a max speed of that aircraft of 78.2 mph and a flight time on that flight of 27 minutes, I don't think that was P2V+.

The flight duration is misleading because it begins from the moment you power on until you power off. If your bird waits 10 minutes for a satellite lock, then you fly for 20 minutes, the mission log reports the flight duration as 30 minutes.

Dirty Bird said:
Wheat said:
With a max speed of that aircraft of 78.2 mph and a flight time on that flight of 27 minutes, I don't think that was P2V+.

The flight duration is misleading because it begins from the moment you power on until you power off. If your bird waits 10 minutes for a satellite lock, then you fly for 20 minutes, the mission log reports the flight duration as 30 minutes.

It takes lately @ least 2 min to have a sat lock, very odd.
And i flew the battery all the way down beyond 0% as per DBS recommendation to do that every 3 cycles and that practice has prove DBS was right !
Anyway i use the 9450 props as a experiment as well.
The first try only gave me a 8.6mile range and some 24 min flying time.
Anyway he's confusing the overall specs.
The 78.2mph flight isn't the same as the 9.8 mile run.
There is one V+ that is faster then mine with 79 ( something ) mph, is he stating he's flying something else ?
Anyway i don't own any other quad that can tip the V+ i have here.
I used to fly a UDI r/c quad and that is till here but the lipo's are waisted.
Anyway i have no issue with the whole questionnaire, encountered that a lot with other things i did in my life. It happens when you think out off the box.
I fly a modded V+ thats true, but thats the only things thats out of the ordinary.

LeaderBoard updated to reflect new numbers from ToThePoint and Wheat...

Pretty cool... board almost has a complete top ten now :D

Screenshot_2014-10-24-19-33-18_zpsfpjd0j4q.png

no finger pointing out here guys ... This isn't even a real contest so don't take things too serious ... All pilots are innocent until proven guilty and I'm 100% sure everybody here is on the up & up so far...

That run by ToThePoint could very well be the game winner... He went out and flew farther than I have estimated I will with my new battery mod... He has also beat my distance record so if anybody has a reason to be ticked off it's ME... but... oh well... This is really fun and I've got a whole new motivation to get out there and run HARD!!!

Now how the Frick is he getting 24 minute flights off a stock battery :?: :twisted: ... I need to try out some of those thrust boosted props!!!

Re: HOW FAR CAN YOU FLY ? _______________________ 9.80 Miles

Well lets update it a bit more. I was holding on to this in case someone beat my record. I didnt think it would be by that much though..I got some work to do before the end of the month...I managed to squeeze 9.55 miles out of her the same day that I did the 9.19 mile run...kinda my ace in the hole :). Hopefully I get healed up enough to beat tothepoint's current run...I think this bird of mine has more in her...time will tell. Nice runs being completed by everyone...it is scary as hell to push these things to zero!!!

955milerun.jpg

And thanks for the get well wishes...finally got to go to the doc today and he gave me some major pain meds and a back brace....no bending, lifting, walking for long periods, standing for long periods, etc, etc, etc...good news is no surgery...just gotta suck it up and wait till I heal.

I've seen the specs on the new motors and esc for the PH2, they look promising.
Some 800gr trust in stead of 600gr with the 9450 props.
I wonder what it would do to the flight time and distance.

@DBS

As i mentioned before, the challenge is on.
The weather doesn't allow any long distance attempt and the hands were itchy so i decided to make a close run to see what it could turn out to be.
Issue is going to be range on RC and/or FPV.
Anyway to be challenged bring the best out of someone.
Very curious what your bat mod brings.

Let's even up the playing field a bit shall we? I want others to have massive runs as we'll. In my opinion, the farther you can fly in a straight line without turning, the further you will fly. Fly in GPS mode and find a place where you can be in the middle of your flying area. This way you are maximizing your longest line...1,000 feet in front and behind you equals a 2,000 run and a 4,000 loop which is close to a mile in one loop. Make smooth turns and be gentle on the sticks...hold her wide open the entire time and try not to mess with altitude at all...good luck to all, hope this helps others get above the 9 mile mark...10 miles here I come!!!

lsteigerwalt said:
Well lets update it a bit more. I was holding on to this in case someone beat my record.

Well I'll be damned.... :shock: ... The wheelchair bandit was holding out on us :twisted:

LeaderBoard has been updated to show your "ace in the hole" shot

ToThePoint said:
As i mentioned before, the challenge is on.
The weather doesn't allow any long distance attempt and the hands were itchy so i decided to make a close run to see what it could turn out to be.
Issue is going to be range on RC and/or FPV.
Anyway to be challenged bring the best out of someone.
Very curious what your bat mod brings.

Looks like we'll be having weather problems here tomorrow as well... wind just doesn't wanna die down for the past few days...

It's all good... Some of this stuff just takes time and there's nothing we can do but wait it out...

I think I'll be ok with RC and FPV... (I've been keeping something hiding in the closet for this) :twisted:

DBS said:
I think I'll be ok with RC and FPV... (I've been keeping something hiding in the closet for this) :twisted:

As you mention DBS. " The wheelchair bandit was holding out on us, your ace in the hole ? " LOL.

Last night looked promising, wind was down to 10km/h on the ground but a 20km/h higher up.
It had a downwards curve so i suspected it would settle down in the midst of night so charged up the battery's.
It went up instead so a no go this time.

I'm healing up and itchin to make a run. Just needing the three W's to get inline...Weather, Work, and the Wife...on a plus side all these pain meds rock!!!

I'm looking at doing some blasting pretty soon too... weather was terrible last weekend but we may be better this week... good to hear your getting better bro :ugeek:

I can't seem to get any decent distance out of the new firmware. I hate seeing that stupid bar across the top tick down...grr grr grr

Wow... I thought this thread had died and got buried deep in the thread wasteland...

I haven't flown for so Damm long I can't stand it... BUT... just got my 2312 motors and 2.0 ESC's and 9450 props all installed just 30 minutes ago... hopefully everything works well and I can get back in the air again... everything fires up... motors spin and respond properly... no on screen errors showing any problems... just need to get it out in the air and see how it acts.

Gadda get back out there... I got new antennas from itelite to test out :ugeek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor