How far?? And what happens if...

OP: I don't go for distance, but I still use the parabolic antenna extenders to maintain a good signal in areas of strong interference.

Yes, if you lose signal the RTH kicks in, but keeping a strong signal means you can keep on the job without it stopping and turning back home.

Scenario: If you lose signal and it kicks into RTH before you're done, and you don't regain signal until it's part way back, you may not have enough battery to go return to finish the job. So you *sigh* and let it come home so you can swap out to a full battery then go back out. Using the parabolic antenna extenders helps ensure that you can stay out there the first time without interruption.

Speck
Exactly the reason I use a parabolic antenna extender (windsurfer) too, Speck.

I took my stock P3P out 3.41 miles (18,000) last weekend. I specifically flew it over farmland so ensure there was minimal interference because it was distance run. I was surprised I got that far since the most I had done in the past was about 2 miles. I was at about 34% signal strength on my remote controller when Smart RTH kicked in and brought her home. The battery was at about 60% at 18,000ft and about 18% when she landed. I wanted to reach 20,000 feet but I couldn't override the Smart RTH.

What altitude were you flying to get that distance. Seems to me that the greater the distance, the higher you have to fly to maintain a signal. Is this correct?

Will the quad return home on its own by figuring how much battery it will take to get there. I have me low battery set at 30%. If I fly straight out with a battery that is 100% charged. Will it keep going or will it know how much battery it takes to get back home and start the return? I know that it doesn't factor in wind but I'm thinking on a clear, calm day.

Thank you for that ... I have been trying to get this through to some others who kept insisting Auto-Land can be cancelled ....

Nigel
Keep up the good fight Nigel. Eventually they will listen. I think maybe they are confusing AUTO LAND and RTH and non-critical AUTO LAND?

Battery critical Auto land can NOT be canceled. Bird is coming down, like it or not. You do have minor control but its coming down. This is a safety feature and really should not be a normal day at the range. DJI decided that its better to land a bird thats operating normally and making a hell of a lot of noise than have it die at battery cutout and fall like a stone, silently and potentially hit someone unaware. With it buzzing like a swarm of angry hornets people will most likely move out of the way when they hear it coming down.

RTH (Return to Home) CAN be canceled. Its a failsafe in the event of LOCS (loss of control signal). Once communications is established again it can be canceled.

Auto Land Mode CAN be canceled when its not due to battery critical. The auto land mode when initiated by the user for automatically landing, as long as it was not caused by a battery critical status, can be canceled.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Cheers ...

I think the problem is that there are many carry-overs from older models ... someone posts a plausible content ... they become ipso facto taken for granted as fact .. instead of being looked at as what they were.

Unfortunately some talented and obviously experienced people perpetuate the myths and there you have it ... fight is on ! Bit like Flat Earth belief for centuries until the spherical crowd woke up !!

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom