How does wind affect FPV range ??

Reaction score
I was flying my P2 Vision+ on Saturday. I got the FPVLR Stage 4 kit installed and can normally get out to 3.2 miles consistently on a calm day. However, on Saturday the winds were steady at around 12-15 MPH and for some reason my FPV was dropping out at around 2.1 miles on 3 different flights. I checked all the usual parameters and cable connections to amps and everything was operating normally.

So it begs the question --- why does wind speed affect maximum range of the FPV signal?

It's very perplexing to me.

I agree with you. I don't think wind speed should affect it, but a bunch of other stuff can like local interference, power lines, solar storms, transmission towers.

I was flying my P2 Vision+ on Saturday. I got the FPVLR Stage 4 kit installed and can normally get out to 3.2 miles consistently on a calm day. However, on Saturday the winds were steady at around 12-15 MPH and for some reason my FPV was dropping out at around 2.1 miles on 3 different flights. I checked all the usual parameters and cable connections to amps and everything was operating normally.

So it begs the question --- why does wind speed affect maximum range of the FPV signal?

It's very perplexing to me.

WAG on my part
Transmitter uses onboard battery power and when the phantom if fighting winds it requires more corrective action using higher ah draw. maybe that leaves the transmitter less voltage thus lower xmit power.
Again just a wild guess but I know I was flying yesterday into higher winds and got message about power level even though over 70% battery.

In Hawaii this week (yes!) flew today over Hanauma Bay winds were 20mph, no difference in FPV signal. Only difference was my anxiety when trying to land the thing in those winds! Whew!!!!

Man I'm glad somebody's over there having a blast ;)
Me still trying to figure out the 6.4 miles on one battery :confused:
I've seen 4 miles on one and not doubting him but talk about cutting it close !!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj