4K range very short (FPV and control) - Ideas?

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just got back from flying my P3 4K, and am still having problems with range despite trying a different location to the previous evening. Today's flight was in a large parkland with a lake approximately half mile wide, 1/3 mile long - No houses within miles or anything tall.

I have installed the FCC software mod from a thread on here, and it says transmit power for the FPV is apparently 20. I checked again just before flight to ensure it was still set.

It don't appear to have made any difference. The quad can only fly away from my position around 30 meters or so before the FPV and location data disappears off the screen (signal lost). As I can still physically see it, I fly "blind" going further away very slowly. At around 50 meters approximately the control looses connection and RTH kicks in to bring it straight back.

This is of course a long way short of the claimed 1200 meters. While I don't expect to achieve that, I was hoping for at least halfway, instead of actually only being able to achieve somewhere in the region of 5% of the claimed maximum.

Anything else I can try?

That definitely doesn't seem right. Maybe others can elaborate, but 30m range in an open area indicates that something isn't working correctly. Is there any damage to your bird (i.e. have you ever crashed it or dropped)?

Thanks for the reply. The drone is only 4 days old and never been crashed or dropped. The signal loss is sudden for the control, as it's full then all of a sudden nothing. The WIFI link to the video feed drops steadily. Perhaps I should allow up to 27 for the transmit power and see if it helps. I read somewhere that's not a good idea, as it burns out the controller after a while?

I'll try anything to increase both to be fair, before considering swapping for a model with the long range wireless system.

Do you have beginner mode set to off?
It cant be that bad... Only if its defective...

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

Do you have beginner mode set to off?
Defiantly off according to the app. ;-)

Did you setup your antenna correctly and aim it to the drone?
Well, I have a signal booster attached (This one). Antenna's are forced kinda upright, but not fully up as it shows in one of the last pics on that link as my Nexus tablet is large and gets in the way.

I read somewhere that they should be pointing upwards as much as possible if the drone is in front of you.

Well, I have a signal booster attached (This one). Antenna's are forced kinda upright, but not fully up as it shows in one of the last pics on that link as my Nexus tablet is large and gets in the way.

I read somewhere that they should be pointing upwards as much as possible if the drone is in front of you.

You should aim it like this picture below. It's in your manual.
remote antenna position.jpg

I have P3 4K and with windsurfer like yours, it flew up to 400-500m, video will start getting choppy at 200-300m and I'm flying in dense suburb area. If you get less than this, something is wrong.

Reactions: geekl33tgamer

I ordered the same item on amazon, still waiting for it to come in. What's your initial feedback on how much range it added to the current range you have now? Curious. Thanks.

Thanks jeganx for the controller diagram. I didn't find an instruction booklet outside of the quick-start in my box so missed this very important piece of information.

I ordered the same item on amazon, still waiting for it to come in. What's your initial feedback on how much range it added to the current range you have now? Curious. Thanks.
I've done some further flights this evening in my first location. It's a densely populated area, and a quick check with the Nexus 7 and WIFI analyser shows no less than 61 network SSID's within range - So bare that in mind.

I have installed the FCC mod correctly now (To Control AND Drone - It was resetting to CE using control only), and without the range booster shields:
Control: 415-450 Meters
FPV: 275-290 Meters

With the shield things on:
Control: 540+ Meters
FPV: 510-540 Meters

I turned the drone back after the FPV cut as I was also barely line of sight at that distance away from me. The control signal strength was reported to be 1 bar off full at that distance, so plenty to go.

My problem from my OP seems to be something to do with flying over water? The range still tanks in that location (It has a huge lake), but in my densely built up area it flies a respectable distance. That software mod is worthwhile IMO.

Thanks jeganx for the controller diagram. I didn't find an instruction booklet outside of the quick-start in my box so missed this very important piece of information.

I've done some further flights this evening in my first location. It's a densely populated area, and a quick check with the Nexus 7 and WIFI analyser shows no less than 61 network SSID's within range - So bare that in mind.

I have installed the FCC mod correctly now (To Control AND Drone - It was resetting to CE using control only), and without the range booster shields:
Control: 415-450 Meters
FPV: 275-290 Meters

With the shield things on:
Control: 540+ Meters
FPV: 510-540 Meters

I turned the drone back after the FPV cut as I was also barely line of sight at that distance away from me. The control signal strength was reported to be 1 bar off full at that distance, so plenty to go.

My problem from my OP seems to be something to do with flying over water? The range still tanks in that location (It has a huge lake), but in my densely built up area it flies a respectable distance. That software mod is worthwhile IMO.
Glad to be of help. Safe flight. You may want to start looking at antenna mods to get more distance. Or simply just want a more solid fpv at longer range. 500m is far, but 250m fpv is too short.

Reactions: geekl33tgamer
Thanks. I've only seen antenna mods for the standard version so far that are effective. I would like more FPV range though, and was thinking taking the P3 4K back and paying the difference for the Advanced. I don't see any threads with serious range issues on the light bridge equipped ones.

Would loosing 4K be a big of a deal, as the Pro is outside of what I'm prepared to pay?

Thanks. I've only seen antenna mods for the standard version so far that are effective. I would like more FPV range though, and was thinking taking the P3 4K back and paying the difference for the Advanced. I don't see any threads with serious range issues on the light bridge equipped ones.

Would loosing 4K be a big of a deal, as the Pro is outside of what I'm prepared to pay?
My P3 4K first 15000ft flight last night. I basically paid more than P3P for all the mods, but some of them can be carried to Pro/Adv if I decide to upgrade.
IMG-20160826-WA0017.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31