How does controller transmit video to iPad/iPhone?

Reaction score
So, does anyone know how the Phantom 3 system transmits video to your iPad/iPhone/Phone? Is it via a Wifi connection? There can't be a cable because I know Apple devices don't support video input.

Thanks.

Are you sure that is right? On the Phantom 3 specs, it lists compatibility with a wide variety of phones and devices. That would mean it has to come with all kinds of adapters to accomodate the different devices, e.g. lightning cable, USB 3.0, Micro-USB, etc. Plus, like I said, Apple devices don't support HDMI input, but ONLY output. So, your answer doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Please clarify.

All it needs is a USB port and you can provide your own device USB cable.
It says it uses Lightbridge and the Lightbridge connects to your device via USB cable.
The large USB port on the back of the controller is a host port where I'm guessing the device connects. The smaller micro USB port is a device port which is probably for charging and programming the remote.

The Lightbridge bundles control, telemetry and video over one 2.4GHz link which is likely how this controller works which means the video downlink should have the same range as the control signal but it also probably means there's no way to bind a third party transmitter to it because it doesn't have a normal receiver.

It would have great if they had included an HDMI out port so you could connect to video goggles for FPV flying. 250ms latency is not bad considering it's high def.
But since there is no 5.8GHz signal to interfere, you can always attach a small FPV camera/transmitter unit for flying with goggles.

Last edited:
But, how does an iPad display the video. Like I said, iPads don't accept USB or HDMI or any kind of video/data input. Yet there is a holder for an iPad. I still don't understand.

iPads don't accept USB or HDMI or any kind of video/data input.

This is incorrect. Apps can access data from the Dock or Lightning port. There are a number of devices out there that use that connection; I have a blood pressure cuff that does for example.

It's not a video signal, it's Data. The data contains the video as well as telemetry and other info.
It's not just a charging port.
If it couldn't accept data on that port it would be hard to sync with a PC to transfer music and video files.

The OP is right in that Apple frowns on Video been sent via the USB cable. This is why the DJI Pilot app was pulled for some time. However DJI have managed to get around this hurdle against all the 'nay sayers' odds and got the App on the official App store. I own an Inspire 1 for many weeks following its release watched the drama unfold where the DJI Pilot app was pulled and then released back possibly after getting 'MFI' status

Reactions: embayweather
OK. I see. I'm trying to figure out if I could get a video-out signal to mirror the iPad's screen on FPV goggles. So, if the port is used in order to receive the video data input, this doesn't look possible. Is there any way to get the video signal out to goggles on the Phantom 3?

I was thinking about this myself actually, as I saw in promo video that there were no cables between the controller and ipad. Probably done for esthetical reasons, I guess it has to be transferred via cable.

I have an ipad air 2, and have a tablet-application which I connect to my Macbook via cable. The ipad displays a portion of the screen from my Macbook, and I can use it as a drawing tablet. In other words, the ipad receives a stream of the Macbook screen through the cable, so ipad can definitely recieve video input through the lightning-plug.

OK. I see. I'm trying to figure out if I could get a video-out signal to mirror the iPad's screen on FPV goggles. So, if the port is used in order to receive the video data input, this doesn't look possible. Is there any way to get the video signal out to goggles on the Phantom 3?
Might be possible through an app? I haven't got much experience with goggles, but does it operate at 5.8? If so, it should be possible to have the ipad stream the screen through wifi (like apples AirPlay), as I said I don't know if his is possible with the googles. Regardless, it would be pretty cool to have the opportunity to airplay the video to either goggles or an external screen/projector!

Yeah, AirPlay of the screen should work to my TV but I'm not sure I could AirPlay easily to a pair of goggles. Plus, there would be lag/latency. I guess I could always just stick a small Cam/Tx pack with battery onto the Phantom 3 and use my old goggles.

When they were doing flying demos of the P3 last night, the guy was using an Inspire 1 controller to fly the P3. He had HDMI out into the big TV's at the side.

I asked if this would work on shipped units, using an Inspire control on the P3, and he said it was as yet undecided and the one he had was using custom firmware to be compatible.

So, this might or might not be a way to solve getting the signal out into goggles. Depending on what they decide.

Another option (albeit an expensive one assuming prices stay the same) is to get a LightBridge unit as a receiver and use video out from it.

Another option (albeit an expensive one assuming prices stay the same) is to get a LightBridge unit as a receiver and use video out from it.

While both units are Lighbridge they are not compatible.

Here's one for the sdk developers, how's about an app that will integrate with the Samsung galaxy note 4 and the vr goggles from oculus rift that the phone powers? Just throwing it out there ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.