How do you respond to angry people that think you are breaking the law by harmlessly flying?

Reaction score
Its a beautiful Sunday morning. I arrive at the market basket parking lot and go way away from the cars to the very edge of the parking lot. I take off my Phantom 3 Professional and fly to 400 feet and fly away to get a cool picture of a solar farm (see attached if you want). I was bringing it back and had started descending the drone for landing. Then comes that moment all of you hate. Some jackass squeals up in his minivan and instantly knows everything about drones. “HEY BOSS YOU CAN’T FLY HERE, WHAT IF THAT THING COMES DOWN ON SOMEONE? YOUR GIVING DRONE GUYS A BAD REP”. I tried to explain that what I was doing was totally legal and the drone was safe and registered. Then I told him that I would not be taking down the drone. He cussed angrily sped off. How are we supposed to respond to these tools when we have been working to do everything by the books and trying to be as courteous as possible? Pleas enlighten me!
IMG_7538.jpg

Its always best to Remain Silent.....take his licence plate number and a good description of him....and IF need make a non emergency call to your local police and have them make a few passes to be sure he has Never comes back and...Its called being harassed and IF you want to make a harassment complaint...Please do....Your were Not doing a Thing wrong and flying off public land....Its always Best to NOT argue .....he wants that so he can file the complaint !......Hey Good Luck and i sure hope it never takes place again. And wow what a nice picture of the solor farm !

Last edited:
Most folks will be disarmed by an initial courteous response.
Asking, curiously as opposed to defensively, why or what they think you are in violation of and where can you find such information too?
There’s no need to be rude or argumentative. If you can’t be nice then be quiet after that and let them call the authorities since it is usually a bluff.

I agree. Just respond courteously. If the person continues a hostile engagement, politely say that you will be happy to speak to the police if they wish to call them because you are registered with the FAA. Personally, I probably would have avoided launching from a shopping center parking lot, being that it is surely privately owned by a company and is not public property. I think that would be the only issue you might face with the local police - not knowing the area, myself.

I would have just said "Thank you very much" and kept doing what I was doing.
Perfect response. You simply are not going to please everybody sometimes and my time is very valuable to me. If it is in short supply, I will just ignore those that are trying to “make trouble“ for me. I am not into the whole “be a good ambassador for the hobby“ thing. As long as I am not hurting anybody or putting anyone in danger, my burden is met. The same goes for any police or “rent a cops” who get too chatty

I agree. Just respond courteously. If the person continues a hostile engagement, politely say that you will be happy to speak to the police if they wish to call them because you are registered with the FAA. Personally, I probably would have avoided launching from a shopping center parking lot, being that it is surely privately owned by a company and is not public property. I think that would be the only issue you might face with the local police - not knowing the area, myself.

I agree, I wont be returning there

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Its always best to Remain Silent.....take his licence plate number and a good description of him....and IF need make a non emergency call to your local police and have them make a few passes to be sure he has Never comes back and...Its called being harassed and IF you want to make a harassment complaint...Please do....Your were Not doing a Thing wrong and flying off public land....Its always Best to NOT argue .....he wants that so he can file the complaint !......Hey Good Luck and i sure hope it never takes place again. And wow what a nice picture of the solor farm !

Thanks! I agree, and thanks about that picture!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Perfect response. You simply are not going to please everybody sometimes and my time is very valuable to me. If it is in short supply, I will just ignore those that are trying to “make trouble“ for me. I am not into the whole “be a good ambassador for the hobby“ thing. As long as I am not hurting anybody or putting anyone in danger, my burden is met. The same goes for any police or “rent a cops” who get too chatty

Thanks! If the “You make the drone guys look bad” comes up again that will be my response. Thanks for the help!

Why not ask the person why he thinks you could not fly there and start the conversation there. Maybe he knows something you don't know. If not, you'd then understand where you stood with that person.

I would have but in my experience usually these people arn’t in the mood for a conversation, and they wont except reality. I wish I could have because I could have given a perfectly good explanation.

Why not ask the person why he thinks you could not fly there and start the conversation there. Maybe he knows something you don't know. If not, you'd then understand where you stood with that person.
I hate to be blunt but I don’t care what a random person thinks. I prefer to do my own research ahead of time.
Recently I was at a local park owned by an HOA setting up to fly. As I was getting things ready, a security guard rolled up in their golf cart and told me “you’re not allowed to fly here“. I had already emailed the HOA board a few days before asking for their policy on flying quadcopters at the park and they responded that they didn’t have one and to just “be safe”. I pulled it up on my phone and showed the guard. She read it, blinked a couple of times and handed me back my phone and drove off. I got some good footage that day ;-)

I've personally not ever had a genuinely 'angry' person question my flights. I have had curious people approach me, and only one or two actually question the 'legality' of me flying at a given location. More often than not, they want to know more about the drone, and what it does or can do, than what I'm actually doing with the drone.

However, I did discover, quite accidentally, that if people 'believe' I'm flying with a 'purpose'...which to them, seems to be something other than 'flying for fun'...they typically lose interest. I've never lied to anyone about what I'm doing, but as in any other situation, I've realized that by carefully wording my responses to their questions or comments, they frequently will infer that I'm doing something...'important'...something other than 'having fun.' Or spying on people.

An example: I fly occasionally in a small, local, nature preserve. There are numerous biking, walking, and jogging trails winding through it, but zero signed or otherwise clearly visible prohibitions on flying UAS. (There's nothing on the local municipality's website prohibiting UAS operations at that preserve...nor any others under their jurisdiction...I checked before my first flight.) Recently, a couple biking in the preserve area stopped and wanted to know why I was flying there. They asked, "isn't it illegal to fly in a park area?" I told them, "It is in national parks in the US. But, I've flown multiple flights here in the winter and am flying now to shoot video and photographs so as to compare the amount of tree leafing and water levels in the swampy areas as to what was there during winter." (Which is one thing I will be doing with the video; some before/after documentation...but only for my interests...and in reality, more for editing practice than anything else!) I was greeted with a blank stare for a moment, then smiles. "Well," the woman said, "that's cool. We love coming here and anything to help keep it natural is awesome! Have a great day!"

And off they went...

Last edited:
I was flying at a state park area (I called the range to make sure it was cool. They told me as long as I was not bother folks to have fun!) While there I was taking off in an area that was out of the way, but visible to most folks that were there to enjoy the place. I put out a couple orange cones, wore a yellow hard hat and wore a reflective vest. Loads of folks walked past, only one inquired what I was up to. I told him I was inspecting one of the structures. Look official, and folks think you are .

I was flying at a state park area (I called the range to make sure it was cool. They told me as long as I was not bother folks to have fun!) While there I was taking off in an area that was out of the way, but visible to most folks that were there to enjoy the place. I put out a couple orange cones, wore a yellow hard hat and wore a reflective vest. Loads of folks walked past, only one inquired what I was up to. I told him I was inspecting one of the structures. Look official, and folks think you are .
I never thought of that!!! I'm going to try that![emoji615] [emoji2] [emoji106] [emoji616]

Reactions: ralphel21
Always best to try to disarm with courtesy.
Tell them that you're completely aware of the regulations applying there and that you've made sure that flying in this area is permissible, and if they beg to differ, ask them which regulation they believe you're breaking.

If you act like a dickhead, you're just providing him with an excuse to cause trouble.

And do you mind telling us where that solar array is?
It looks amazing.

Sure! Its actually hidden in the woods with no direct access. I found it by accident. Go here 230 S Main St, Middleton, MA 01949 and fly directly over the market basket / bobs clothing. It will be right behind it past about 50 feet of trees. It isnt visible on google maps because it’s basically brand new

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4