How do you respond to angry people that think you are breaking the law by harmlessly flying?

Tell them that you're completely aware of the regulations applying there and that you've made sure that flying in this area is permissible, and if they beg to differ, ask them which regulation they believe you're breaking.

“Yes you are! No I’m not! Yes you are! No I’m not! Yes you are! No I’m not! Yes you are! No I’m not! Yes you are! No I’m not! Yes you are! No I’m not!”

Just IGNORE them

Last edited:
Why not ask the person why he thinks you could not fly there and start the conversation there. Maybe he knows something you don't know. If not, you'd then understand where you stood with that person.

Boom.
This is a method I use often in various situations and one I used heavily when I used to do I.T. support.

User: "I have a virus on my computer and need you to get rid of it"
Me: "What makes you think there's a virus?"
User: "Well, this message came up saying something about restarting my computer after updating but I know it doesn't need any updates. I just got it last month."

Basically, you're forcing them to reveal their thought process which better helps you form a response suited to it.

Reactions: svjobeth
Boom.
This is a method I use often in various situations and one I used heavily when I used to do I.T. support.

User: "I have a virus on my computer and need you to get rid of it"
Me: "What makes you think there's a virus?"
User: "Well, this message came up saying something about restarting my computer after updating but I know it doesn't need any updates. I just got it last month."

Basically, you're forcing them to reveal their thought process which better helps you form a response suited to it.

Agreed, for most situations.

However, if a person is genuinely angry - and from my perspective, anyone THAT angry over me flying my drone is more than likely in an irrational thought stream, or perhaps genuinely irrational, I'm not sure how I would respond.

In that situation, when faced with someone actually bordering on rage and not in control, there's likely not much the pilot could do to diffuse things. If you've ever been face to face with someone out of control and 'raging' then you understand what the potential for escalation is like.

Let's hope none of us really have to deal with something like this.

When people start yelling at me about my bird I don't even acknowledge their presence and just ignore them. That [Language Removed] them off more than anything and they always leave after a few minutes. (At least the couple instances where that's happened to me). However, if someone comes up politely and what's to know what's going on, I'll engage them and explain that I'm licensed & insured and am flying completely legal. Those type of people usually end up not only learning something, but appreciating my professionalism. Works everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far everyone that has approached me has been curious and interested. I bought a GoPro harness to wear and record my flights in case one day it turns ugly! I agree though that being courteous is always best... kill them with kindness I say!

Kind of in the same vein, at least half the time when telling people that I’ve got a drone they want to know if I’m going to be peeking through bathroom windows. I don’t think that I look all that creepy so I really don’t understand why people would ask such a question. Even people that I know ask the same thing, how would you answer something like that? I just look at them and say no I’m not going to do that. I guess I’m curious if others get asked the same thing.

Kind of in the same vein, at least half the time when telling people that I’ve got a drone they want to know if I’m going to be peeking through bathroom windows. I don’t think that I look all that creepy so I really don’t understand why people would ask such a question. Even people that I know ask the same thing, how would you answer something like that? I just look at them and say no I’m not going to do that. I guess I’m curious if others get asked the same thing.

I haven’t been asked that but I would probably say a creepy neighbor with binoculars would be more of a threat to privacy than someone with a loud drone.

Make sure you have a bright, yellow official looking vest on with the words: Caution Drone Pilot at Work, Do Not Disturb

I've been lucky with more curious about the copter than the legality of it. For example, just last week I was down at the local park during a quiet spell. It is more dangerous by way of the little and not so little doggie presents that some ignoramusses leave and fail to clear up after their dogs. Now that is something that should be prosecuted! I was just setting things up and a chap asked if I was going to be flying that 'thing'. I answered yes and took off. He came a bit closer with that curious head to the side and asked what the iPad was for and could he 'please' have a look? No problem, fill your boots. So by now his wee terriers were also interested and approached closer to the copter where it was hovering at about 5m. What the woof is this? Time for a bark! So I circled the dogs and they sort of gulped and wondered how to escape this strange 'bird thing'. A quick flying swoop and it was time for a hasty exit. Both pups were offski. The owner just laughed at his pups, gave me a wave of thanks for the entertainment and hoped to see me again.

So that was copter 1: Joe Public and his dugs 1. Everyone won and happy. The way it should be. :)

BTW, the number of folk and dogs was less that 1 per football field. About room for at least 12 football sized pitches. I have gone to this park before and it has been too busy for flying so I just enjoyed the sunshine for an hour then trundled home for a coffee. No batteries to re-charge that day.

Politeness with a willingness to demonstrate and explain that the camera is not quite CSI standard works wonders. I'm happy to show off what the copters are capable of doing and show that they are designed more for scenic photography. I have even shown how close a copter has to come to a person to take recognizeable photograph or movie of someone. Even the Police have ignored me and walked on. I was test flying along a path beside a railway line. (Safe distance away) Only when I got home and was checking the movie did I spot the two Officers. Toddling along and not even bothering that they were being followed, albeit innocently.

I often read people bringing up their 107 as a credential to fly. It’s not. It doesn’t make any op more legal or legit then any other recreational user. You can use it as a tool to disarm a questioning pest, but even then I find it unnecessary - when unless it is otherwise clearly A NFZ you don’t need a 107 to fly legally nor does having one grant the holder any special permission to fly. If it did that would be one thing, but it doesn’t. To my knowledge it actually limits the holder more than it helps. I am licensed 107 and national forests don’t allow “commercial flights”. So, if I tell the Park Ranger I’m licensed 107 he digs more to find out what I’m doing. If I’m “just flying recreationally” they never miss a step and continue on their way to where they were headed before they saw me. Unless I’m doing a real estate job or it’s only more than clear that it’s non-rec flight then I’m flying recreationally. The less they know the less they slow you down and bother you. It’s just a symptom of regulating something - rather government over regulating something - like they do EVERYTHING. It’s only going to get worse. Enjoy it while you still can.

Reactions: FL_Mike
I was flying at a state park area (I called the range to make sure it was cool. They told me as long as I was not bother folks to have fun!) While there I was taking off in an area that was out of the way, but visible to most folks that were there to enjoy the place. I put out a couple orange cones, wore a yellow hard hat and wore a reflective vest. Loads of folks walked past, only one inquired what I was up to. I told him I was inspecting one of the structures. Look official, and folks think you are .

This is Excellent. Going shopping for a couple orange cones & vest today.
I shoot for a company that does school websites.
So lately shooting a lot around neighborhood elementary & high schools.
And for the most part people are mostly curious and I always answer questions and let them see the screen as I explain. Actually a week ago a police car pulled up while shooting one and they just thought it was cool and were interested like anyone else.
And when I tell them I’m shooting for the school
Website that usually is all I need to say.
But I can see situations where making it look more official would be just the thing.
Great idea.

I wear a body camera when flying commercially or for recreation.

I was approached a few months ago (while on a recreational flight) by an angry person with apparently too much spare time and too little common sense.

She launched into a stream of expletives about how I was “killing birds with my drone and watching people in the lake nearby” and said I should be arrested. (I’m LEO so I wasn’t too bothered by her behavior. Armchair lawyers are a common part of my day job).

I said, “.....just a moment, I want to make sure my body camera is recording, can you repeat that?”

The look on her face was priceless. She could not leave fast enough. About 10 minutes later, her husband approached me to apologize and ask that I please not call the police on his angry wife.

I wear a body camera when flying commercially or for recreation.

I was approached a few months ago (while on a recreational flight) by an angry person with apparently too much spare time and too little common sense.

She launched into a stream of expletives about how I was “killing birds with my drone and watching people in the lake nearby” and said I should be arrested. (I’m LEO so I wasn’t too bothered by her behavior. Armchair lawyers are a common part of my day job).

I said, “.....just a moment, I want to make sure my body camera is recording, can you repeat that?”

The look on her face was priceless. She could not leave fast enough. About 10 minutes later, her husband approached me to apologize and ask that I please not call the police on his angry wife.
This is the best one yet.... Really.
I need one of those too now.

This is an inexpensive unit I use when flying. It is not as small as some others on the market, but part of the reason I have it on is so people who approach me can take note of it.

IMG_0083.jpg

Reactions: jephoto

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl