How do you respond to angry people that think you are breaking the law by harmlessly flying?

I've been lucky with more curious about the copter than the legality of it. For example, just last week I was down at the local park during a quiet spell. It is more dangerous by way of the little and not so little doggie presents that some ignoramusses leave and fail to clear up after their dogs. Now that is something that should be prosecuted! I was just setting things up and a chap asked if I was going to be flying that 'thing'. I answered yes and took off. He came a bit closer with that curious head to the side and asked what the iPad was for and could he 'please' have a look? No problem, fill your boots. So by now his wee terriers were also interested and approached closer to the copter where it was hovering at about 5m. What the woof is this? Time for a bark! So I circled the dogs and they sort of gulped and wondered how to escape this strange 'bird thing'. A quick flying swoop and it was time for a hasty exit. Both pups were offski. The owner just laughed at his pups, gave me a wave of thanks for the entertainment and hoped to see me again.

So that was copter 1: Joe Public and his dugs 1. Everyone won and happy. The way it should be. :)

Haha, this reminds me of a flight I had at the Caledonian Canal in Inverness. Old couple and their Jack Russell. Similar kind of conversation, and the old chap was genuinely taken aback by what this gizmo is capable of. He asked if I could bring the craft in a bit for a closer look and was delighted when I framed a shot of him and the wife. The dog, however, was now slipping in to full psycho mode and was hellbent on P4P for tea. I stayed at a low altitude, just out over the water and sent the drone flying along the path at full throttle (no other people present btw!). It turns out sports mode is a default setting on a Russell! The old couple loved it and asked if there was anything cheaper available as this was obviously the ultimate in dog exercise tools - sit on a bench and run the dog ragged!

Back on topic - I find it interesting that in Scotland I've so far been met with nothing more than genuine curiosity. Not once have I been challenged about legality or privacy concerns! I do tend to avoid busy times of the day and do my best to stay out of the way of people and fly safely. Going by this thread, though, it looks like that isn't necessarily a guarantee...

Reactions: AuldGimpy
Back on topic - I find it interesting that in Scotland I've so far been met with nothing more than genuine curiosity.

Just another darn good reason I'd like to visit Scotland - for a year or three!

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead
The dog, however, was now slipping in to full psycho mode and was hellbent on P4P for tea. I stayed at a low altitude, just out over the water and sent the drone flying along the path at full throttle (no other people present btw!). It turns out sports mode is a default setting on a Russell! ...

Ha-ha-ha-ha! I cant get the sight of that Jack Russel bombing after your Phantom4 out of my mind's eye. It would have made a great video if you had another camera or Phantom handy. Ha-ha-ha! Still giggling at the thought. :grin:

As far as other people are concerned, I think that if you are sensible ("... sent the drone flying along the path at full throttle :fearscream: (no other people present btw!):sweatsmile::sweatsmile: about where and how you fly then you are right about genuine curiosity rather than legal challenges. If anyone shows interest then I'm happy to show off the equipment and answer questions.... Mostly I get asked about the price! Meanie Scots! :tonguewink:

Reactions: umanbean
Its a beautiful Sunday morning. I arrive at the market basket parking lot and go way away from the cars to the very edge of the parking lot. I take off my Phantom 3 Professional and fly to 400 feet and fly away to get a cool picture of a solar farm (see attached if you want). I was bringing it back and had started descending the drone for landing. Then comes that moment all of you hate. Some jackass squeals up in his minivan and instantly knows everything about drones. “HEY BOSS YOU CAN’T FLY HERE, WHAT IF THAT THING COMES DOWN ON SOMEONE? YOUR GIVING DRONE GUYS A BAD REP”. I tried to explain that what I was doing was totally legal and the drone was safe and registered. Then I told him that I would not be taking down the drone. He cussed angrily sped off. How are we supposed to respond to these tools when we have been working to do everything by the books and trying to be as courteous as possible? Pleas enlighten me! View attachment 99645
I always if my drone is at a safe distance walk over to the person and say hello, and ask them how they are doing, stay polite and calm and offer to answer any questions they have, telling people it's a hobby drone, and that you are just a hobbyist flying under the rules provided by the FAA most people just leave you alone.

Haha, this reminds me of a flight I had at the Caledonian Canal in Inverness. Old couple and their Jack Russell. Similar kind of conversation, and the old chap was genuinely taken aback by what this gizmo is capable of. He asked if I could bring the craft in a bit for a closer look and was delighted when I framed a shot of him and the wife. The dog, however, was now slipping in to full psycho mode and was hellbent on P4P for tea. I stayed at a low altitude, just out over the water and sent the drone flying along the path at full throttle (no other people present btw!). It turns out sports mode is a default setting on a Russell! The old couple loved it and asked if there was anything cheaper available as this was obviously the ultimate in dog exercise tools - sit on a bench and run the dog ragged!

Back on topic - I find it interesting that in Scotland I've so far been met with nothing more than genuine curiosity. Not once have I been challenged about legality or privacy concerns! I do tend to avoid busy times of the day and do my best to stay out of the way of people and fly safely. Going by this thread, though, it looks like that isn't necessarily a guarantee...
I once brought my drone (spark) straight down over a small dog. When it and it's owner arrived I was around 400ft and you could hardly hear it. When it got louder though, the dog froze, before frantically searching the low skies for an oversize wasp. When it looked straight up it was only 5-10m high and it almost had a heart attack and went into sport mode:sweatsmile:

Its a beautiful Sunday morning. I arrive at the market basket parking lot and go way away from the cars to the very edge of the parking lot. I take off my Phantom 3 Professional and fly to 400 feet and fly away to get a cool picture of a solar farm (see attached if you want). I was bringing it back and had started descending the drone for landing. Then comes that moment all of you hate. Some jackass squeals up in his minivan and instantly knows everything about drones. “HEY BOSS YOU CAN’T FLY HERE, WHAT IF THAT THING COMES DOWN ON SOMEONE? YOUR GIVING DRONE GUYS A BAD REP”. I tried to explain that what I was doing was totally legal and the drone was safe and registered. Then I told him that I would not be taking down the drone. He cussed angrily sped off. How are we supposed to respond to these tools when we have been working to do everything by the books and trying to be as courteous as possible? Pleas enlighten me! View attachment 99645

I been flying for more the 5 years and have been approached dozens of times. The first thing that I do, without saying a word, is walk up to the person and show them my IPAD pro screen, live. Then I say, “Doesn’t that video look good?”. That tactic, for me, has disarmed 99% of the people who have approached me. Seeing what I am taking a picture of, seems to calm people down. Especially if you are taking a picture of a scene, and not people. The one time that that tactic did not work, I just said, I’m sorry you feel that way, but I’m not breaking any laws.

P.S.

If you fly where there are many people, try buying one of these vests. You may think they are silly, but in nearly 100% of the time, people assume that you are working. Since I bought my vest, almost no one has approached me, and the people who do, are more courteous. If you have in fact, registered your drone, then buy the “FAA Registered UAV Pilot”, vest. It is worth every penny. There will be many on this blog who will make fun of you, but take from someone who has worn this vest, every day. It works like a charm and all it says is that you have registered your drone.

Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots

Reactions: sswingle

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj