How do you make a turn about a point

Reaction score
As a private pilot, we had to learn how to turn about a point. It required increasing or decreasing the angle of bank relative to the wind. If I want to fly around an object and do it smoothly with a Quadcopter, how is this performed? I know I have to use the yaw control and would assume I have to add some right stick control but not sure. If some of you who hare experienced with the Phantom 2 could explain the process, I will practice it.
Thanks,

Phil H

Hello,
You are correct, you'll need to YAW, as well as ROLL together!
It takes a little time to get used to it, so you can be extremely smooth!
Say , you are turning left, you'll add left YAW & left Roll ( you'll need to get used to
Mixing the 2 for smoothness! ) slow turn with no drift would be something like equal input on sticks,( left-right )
But slow turn with a lot of drift ( cross wind ) will be a lot of YAW ( left stick ) and very little ROLL ( right stick )( to compensate for cross breeze , and still maintain nice video , and smooth turn )
But it is best achieved
By flying LARGE FIGURE 8's , then tighten ( shrink down ) the figure 8, smaller and smaller,( as you get better )
Start slowly, slow speed, nice smooth turns, then increase speed as you improve!
also flying circles around a stationary
Object, while keeping camera facing object ( do not recommend flying around yourself ) use a mailbox, fence post, ect.
There are several techniques, or patterns you can fly, to better your flying skills! Like flying a big SQUARE, camera always facing dirrection you are flying, then fly same pattern with camera facing away from you the whole time!

I fly patterns ALL THE TIME, ( I do it because once I was flying far away, and somehow got turned around?
Almost crashed, due to wrong stick input ) so now, regardless my orientation, I know EXACTLY what to do,
Just my opinion, but since I've been doing that, my pilot skills have improved 1000 fold! And I'm still learning!

Hope this helps! Take care, fly safe!

Its really easy with the quad. With the GPS you do not have to account for wind. If you want the camara facing the direction of travel it just like a plane, from forward flight a little bank and a little yaw. Whats really cool and you can't do in a plane is a turn on a point with the camera/nose of aircraft facing the point. Set the yaw to face the point, then equal amounts of left yaw and left roll and you will do a CCW turn on point. Opposite for CW turn on point. The more input on the yaw and roll the tighter the turn.

Thanks so much to both of you. That is just the information I need. I am surprised how well I am doing since I have only been flying a week. I am sure the ease of the P2 has a lot to do with that but I have been able to turn out some very respectable videos. Having a production background and studio helps but the better the incoming video, the better the product I can create.

Phil H

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik