How do you descend?

86fc839cc635584e76d75e59aaea8e70.jpg

iPad mini 2 Wifi only model. The bottom left of the screen has everything we are talking about. Just played around with my uncles GS5 and found he can substitute the mini map for the flight level, it's one of the little buttons in the corner of the mini map. Haven't looked for iPhone. Also setting his P3 up yesterday, noticed some slight wording and menu arrangement differences between the two. Not identical apps between android and iOS.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
one thing you need to look out for whilst descending on full stick is hitting your own propwash.ive seen mine do it whilst i was standing underneath the drone from about 75 feet and the drone becomes very unstable.i tend to come in to land at an angle to avoid this or descend slower

86fc839cc635584e76d75e59aaea8e70.jpg

iPad mini 2 Wifi only model. The bottom left of the screen has everything we are talking about. Just played around with my uncles GS5 and found he can substitute the mini map for the flight level, it's one of the little buttons in the corner of the mini map. Haven't looked for iPhone. Also setting his P3 up yesterday, noticed some slight wording and menu arrangement differences between the two. Not identical apps between android and iOS.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to pay more attention to the 3/4 circle gauges around V.S. and H.S. to catch them turning red. However, the horizon you refer to is actually radar, with front and behind, rather than horizon being depicted with the 2 halves of the circle. If memory serves, the small white triangle is supposed to be the transmitter with a cone and the red arrow is the aircraft with the green cone pointing in the direction of the camera. Most of the time, they are reversed from your screenshot, with the white triangle in the middle and the aircraft on the outside of the circle, as I recall. Maybe someone else can explain it better, as it is an important metric to use properly, if you lose FPV, to bring the bird back manually, while keeping the transmitter facing the aircraft.

However, the horizon you refer to is actually radar, with front and behind, rather than horizon being depicted with the 2 halves of the circle. If memory serves, the small white triangle is supposed to be the transmitter with a cone and the red arrow is the aircraft with the green cone pointing in the direction of the camera.
Radar!?!? What kind of drone are you flying? I don't know the name of the cockpit counterpart but it works just the same as every airplane I've seen in the movies when they are flipping around, it's definitely an orientation tool for level flight with the blue being the ground, and black being the sky.
I haven't noticed about the white triangle being the transmitter. I've always used the map to find home.

If you watch some of the videos where people fly at high altitudes and then do a rapid descent in-place, the phantom gets unstable. It looks like the stability augmentation is able to handle it, but wild oscillations may lead to other issues (lost link, loss of control, etc.). It has to do with the aircraft descending through its own prop wash. I haven't had a chance to dig into a rotary wing flight dynamics book, but to be on the safe side, I always put in a little forward velocity during a long descent.

Radar!?!? What kind of drone are you flying? I don't know the name of the cockpit counterpart but it works just the same as every airplane I've seen in the movies when they are flipping around, it's definitely an orientation tool for level flight with the blue being the ground, and black being the sky.
I haven't noticed about the white triangle being the transmitter. I've always used the map to find home.

It is a radar simulation with front and back, instead of flying below and above the ground. Nobody is flying their Phantom below ground!

Descending straight down too quickly may result in vortex ring state. I always descend with bit of yaw or pitch.

Descending straight down too quickly may result in vortex ring state. I always descend with bit of yaw or pitch.
That's the old way - for the P2.
The offset motors of the P3 take care of that for you.
Unless you have lumbered your P3 with propguards, it's completely safe to descend a t full left stick down.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj