Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was out flying up and Down this river the other day. I lost signal as i got too Close to the electrical wires. Im not sure if i hit them or if the signal was interferred With. Anyways, a guy upstream saw the drone hit the water. I could not recover it.

i am really sorry you lost your drone.but i think sar104 is right you flew into those cables sadly.
looks like a really nice place to fly though.

You that was my first thought. But if it hit the wiers would the camera go black at once? I was talking with a few guys from reddit. They had a theory the electromagnetic waves knocked the drone out. Whats your thoughts on it?

You that was my first thought. But if it hit the wiers would the camera go black at once? I was talking with a few guys from reddit. They had a theory the electromagnetic waves knocked the drone out. Whats your thoughts on it?
Not likely. There was no hint of signal degradation, it all went dark wen you flew into the wires.

How did i loose my drone?
You flew BLOS, simple as that.
It is a bad idea, especially at low altitude. Maybe others can learn from your mistake.

Tobby

My thoughts, I'm afraid, are that they were talking unscientific drivel. Knocked out? What does that even mean? The EM emissions even from a high-voltage transmission line are not going to do that - they are far too low in frequency to affect the MHz data link, and far too low in terms of field strength to have any direct effect on the electronics. The worst that you might see is some compass interference from the oscillating magnetic field.

How did i loose my drone?
You flew BLOS, simple as that.
It is a bad idea, especially at low altitude. Maybe others can learn from your mistake.

Tobby
Yup.....playing with fire, especially over water.

Flying that low beyond LOS over water with structures and wires in path was not surprised you lost her...lesson learned the hard way.

Btw, how did you recover the SD card to upload and edit the video???

Last edited:
It's not even black, but like static when you lose an analog TV station. But this isn't analog, it's digital so RC would not be picking up and displaying atmospheric static on signal loss. Or was that added to the video for effect?
It does look like the wires may have hit the gimbal/camera which could have damaged it where it would be inoperable.

ain't rocket science...when you hit an object in mid air , bad things happen ...period, in this case it fell down and went splash

It's not even black, but like static when you lose an analog TV station. But this isn't analog, it's digital so RC would not be picking up and displaying atmospheric static on signal loss. Or was that added to the video for effect?
It does look like the wires may have hit the gimbal/camera which could have damaged it where it would be inoperable.

That was obviously added for effect....you'll never see something like that happen on your RC

Reactions: azgeek
It wasn't your fault, but the fault of that guy disturbing you LOL

O.K. AFTER FURTHER REVIEW, I call B.S. Hoax, and I am sure that he guy who is disturbing him is the pilot. Just before the screen goes old T.V. analogue static the camera lens is well above the cables. We have been spoofed!

Tobby

O.K. AFTER FURTHER REVIEW, I call B.S. Hoax, and I am sure that he guy who is disturbing him is the pilot. Just before the screen goes old T.V. analogue static the camera lens is well above the cables. We have been spoofed!

Tobby

yes, my BS meter was going off pretty good after that goofy power outage edit at the end...that and the fact that this guy disappears pretty quickly after his post.

this seems to be the new trend on YouTube, with the "I lost my drone" headline to get people to watch their lame videos....stupid.:rolleyes:

I don't know. That top wire seemed to be just above camera center of view. Bottom one probably cleared though.

OK, just ran through it again. The top wire is below camera center of view. My bad. Video was cut too soon before impact to know for sure if he cleared it or not.
I have difficulty gaining distance perspective from FPV. Sometimes flying VLOS knowing I am well away from obstacles, particularly trees then watching the video, the video often looks like close calls.
My general rule of thumb for FPV: if an object sticks above distant horizon (or distant tree line), then I can't clear it. Pull up or go around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.