wifi range/sat lock in ravines

Reaction score
Made a trip to a local water falls, spring time means fast water for this little creek.
When i got there and saw all of the people that had the same idea i decided not
to fly. Stock P2 vision +, v3. I did take video with my cell phone from one of
the lookouts they have on the trail, but really wanted to get a fly over from above,
and drop down into the gorge for a bit for affect. My concern was with so many people
i would have had a hard time getting space along the railing so i could stay in
LOS, not to mention i didn't want distractions in a location like this.

my biggest question would be how far down into a ravine or gorge until you
start losing satellites? i notice with my satellite radio in my truck if i get alongside
a hillside the station fades out, so i realize that particular satellite isn't very high in
the sky.

also, last week i flew at my home and went out about 250 meters over an open field, direct LOS,
and at 250m i lost wifi , phantom connection broken. this spooked me as this isn't really
all that far away. i had thoughts of trying to fly over the water falls from a further vantage point,
but the loss of wifi spooked me so i decided to stay safe and not fly.

here is my cell phone video of the falls, beautiful, and then a picture of the area of
the falls from bing maps. there is no parking along the road across from the falls,
and the state park was very busy with tourists yesterday, first nice spring day we have
had.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• cht falls.JPG
    cht falls.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 311
250m is not normal. make sure you read up on proper antenna positioning, and perhaps invest in a wifi booster app.
also be careful flying in state parks, you're technically not allowed. check the no fly zone map to be sure. https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/

i have the face of the wifi repeater towards the phantom, and my antennae is verticle, i never lost radio control, just wifi, and once i started coming back it picked back up again.

thanks for the map, the park i was in was not listed, but will research before i attempt.

..also be careful flying in state parks, you're technically not allowed.

Actually, the publicized ban applies to just national parks. Each state would have it's own rules when it comes to drone use, so check with the state office that applies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.