How cold is too cold

Reaction score
Hi...this subject has been tossed around before.....have a video shoot to do Saturday.....forecast say high of 38

Keep batteries warm, 15C + before flight. Inner coat pocket will do it. Check for condensation on the lens, other than that, should be fine.
Thank you!....was stressing.....been planning this for a long time.......Thanks again

Good luck keeping your fingers warm too. Just did one flight started at 38, luckily it warmed up to 45...

38F should be no trouble at all. DJI has some good tips on cold weather flying here, here, and here.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Keep the batteries warm. I left my drone all night in my car ahead of an early flight a few weeks back and I couldn’t take off until I removed the battery and warmed it up under my coat. This flight...

Good luck keeping your fingers warm too. Just did one flight started at 38, luckily it warmed up to 45...
Didn't think of that either.....winter gloves and the controller might be a challenge...but if you do anything enough...you get good at it
..:)

I have many flights at -10C ... and one or two at even lower ...

As said - warm battery ....

There is another little trick for anyone 'adventurous for cold ops' .....

The IMU calibration relates ambient temperature when being calibrated. Some people who operate a lot in cold climes ... specifically 'cool' the Drone before putting in battery and QUICKLY enter IMU calibration. They want the colder temp to be used in the calibration and hopefully later when turning out to fly ... the common ..... AIRCRAFT warming up sign preventing flight is shorter.

Does that work ? Dunno - but even DJI make a point about not letting drone warm up before calibrating IMU.

Cold ops : Gloves ... I have several versions of the 'sensitive TIP's' to operate touch screens. I bought more than one version - because I found that one pair works with one screen but not another ... another pair works with other screen but not first ! Do I use them now ? Rarely - because the tablet screen once it gets cold - often becomes unreliable anyway - then what I do is 'lick my finger' and then swipe the screen ...

Batterys : Get one of these ...

Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)

33990.jpg

Cheap (about $12 + shipping) and does an excellent job ... power from car cigarette socket or any 12v source such as an old 3S LiPo or NiMh pack ... user settable temperature as well ! I just use the minimum setting and an old ex flight pack from my other models (3S LiPo).

You : Wrap up warm ... after 5 minutes - it gets cold !! Two things I find important ... HEAD and FEET ... if either of those are cold - doesn't matter how many coat layers you have !!

Cheers
Nigel

Reactions: P3Swoody

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik