How can I reduce the noise from D-log?

Reaction score
I've worked my way through some more of my D-log footage, and am noticing a lot of "noise" from the locked 500 ISO that the D-log setting introduces. I suspect I may have to abandon D-log altogether on the P4P, however, with the footage I already shot in D-log, what are some ways to reduce the "noise levels"? Thank you in advance.

I've worked my way through some more of my D-log footage, and am noticing a lot of "noise" from the locked 500 ISO that the D-log setting introduces. I suspect I may have to abandon D-log altogether on the P4P, however, with the footage I already shot in D-log, what are some ways to reduce the "noise levels"? Thank you in advance.

Resolve Studio unlocks it’s denoiser tool but unfortunately it’s expensive - I have access to it at work because I work in post-production for TV.

I use a P3A shooting D-Log and must admit I also see some noise. I shoot 2.7K and custom -2/-2/-2 in full manual ISO 100 with a shutter of 50 and 25 FPS. If exposure is not perfect, when grading you’ll see the noise. I blame it on the codec used and the limitations of 8bit 4-2-0 H264 compression.

In the testing I’ve done I’ve found it wise to try to over expose slightly and never use an ISO over 400. I keep zebras and histogram on.

HTH

Reactions: Ripper7620
Resolve Studio unlocks it’s denoiser tool but unfortunately it’s expensive - I have access to it at work because I work in post-production for TV.

I use a P3A shooting D-Log and must admit I also see some noise. I shoot 2.7K and custom -2/-2/-2 in full manual ISO 100 with a shutter of 50 and 25 FPS. If exposure is not perfect, when grading you’ll see the noise. I blame it on the codec used and the limitations of 8bit 4-2-0 H264 compression.

In the testing I’ve done I’ve found it wise to try to over expose slightly and never use an ISO over 400. I keep zebras and histogram on.

HTH

I forgot to mention that you’ll need ND4, 8, 16 at your disposal. Perhaps even 32 if you’re from a sun filled country unlike the UK!

Reactions: Ripper7620
I forgot to mention that you’ll need ND4, 8, 16 at your disposal. Perhaps even 32 if you’re from a sun filled country unlike the UK!
Thank you for the reply, as far as the overexposure warning, I'm unable to use it, because it's more information than I can currently handle while flying, so I've been relying soley on the histogram, which in D-log, with an ND16-PL filter, with mid peaks 3/4 of the way up, which I interperated as adequate. I've just realised that I can turn the white balance down, as well as the contrast in post production, and that's making a noticable difference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj