Horizon v-3 split power mod

First thing i noticed pre-flight, is while charging the packs thru the modded v-3 battery is that the charge/level indicator led's on the smart battery do NOT light and seem to be disconnected. So ordering the voltage monitor and cable will be necessary to montor charging progress.View attachment 46931

actually they do light during the charge sequence as normal...
start the change with just the Dji lip first Then plug in the externals.

Reactions: dirtybum
O.k. Got a chance to try the first run with the v-3 lastnite. It wasnt a fair test because it was only a 15 min. Flight( i also did 15 min flights w/ 2 others brands of lipos that work good for me)the flight path i flew was not ideal for signal strength so i was limited to 3-4 miles before video degration. The VERY FIRST impression of the Horizon v-3 did not impress me because my other lipo setups all start out w/ 25 min or more on the app clock. The v-3 STARTED w/ 18 mins. on the ticker. ( i got plain dji bats that start at 18 min. So not a good 1st impression . Here are a few comparisons and of course i will test and report more

Last edited:
Lipo setup (1)
Takeoff 96%
@10,000 87%
@15,000 80%

Lipo setup (2)
Takeoff 96%
10,000 87%
15,000 80%

Horizon v-3
Takeoff 100%
10,000 85%
15,000 74%

Going by that my hopes are not too high!

Reactions: Ed209
O.k. Run #2 on v-3 bats. Take off 100% - timer starts at 22 mins
(Again, not that impressive) flew out into a 2 mph wind, went 7.1 miles turn around at 45% came back at only 40mph so i landed 6000' short at 1% battery. Total flight time 22:50
So basically thats a 6.5 mile 22 min trip - my other lipo sets do that day in/out.
Note: this was straight out straight back, no real signal issues,
No real wind, so this was prob about as fair of a test as i could offer!
Gosh i hope the batteries were just too new and need broke in!!

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
O.k. Run #2 on v-3 bats. Take off 100% - timer starts at 22 mins
(Again, not that impressive) flew out into a 2 mph wind, went 7.1 miles turn around at 45% came back at only 40mph so i landed 6000' short at 1% battery. Total flight time 22:50
So basically thats a 6.5 mile 22 min trip - my other lipo sets do that day in/out.
Note: this was straight out straight back, no real signal issues,
No real wind, so this was prob about as fair of a test as i could offer!
Gosh i hope the batteries were just too new and need broke in!!

:(

Hmm not good.

Maybe will can chime in on the proper way to charge this setup? I know he said start the charge on the DJi main battery first then plug in the externals. But after that he charge will complete automatically and stop like the individual P3 factory batteries do? Also, I don't understand why the balance leads need to be plugged in during flight? Can someone explain why?

Dirtybum, did you measure each of the external lipos voltage after flight? Did they match each other and the main P3 battery voltage?

O.k. Run # 3
W/ v-3 split mod
Not a great day for testing flights times,
15 mph winds.
But heres is some power comparisons from 2 identical flights, both lasted about 18 mins.

V-3. @ 22,200' turned @ 40%. landed 20%

Reg. lipo setup @ 24,200' turned @ 60%. Landed 40%
-V-3 split started with 18 min on the app
- lipo setup started with 27 min on the app.

So again, no real display of flight time but a real display of power comparisons in higher than ideal winds. The regular lipo clearly wins over v-3.
I'm sad because i know with my style of flying in my area,i could do great #'s if this mod truely offered me the flight time. But unfortunately I'm not seeing it

Why isn't horizons stepping up and helping out here ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Pcdeveloper2014
Why isn't horizons stepping up and helping out here ??

What are they really going to do, Canada, this is just one guys results and you got other guys working with them that post 30 to 35 minutes. So I'm guessing their only response is going to be wrong flight conditions, Wrong flight style, other factors, etc. that could be to blame. I suppose if many others have the same result then there's something. But right now they're just going to point to the couple situations that posted the high flight times. but the fact is the batteries they modded for me were practically brand-new 3 to 5 charges on both of them, and at least in my opinion, if anyone has the style of flying, flight location/conditions and experience to get 30 minutes out of a battery I think I do.

I'll keep testing, I'm only three flights in on them. But with my app timer starting an average of 18 minutes, when every other Lipo set I'm currently using flys for 1 to 3 minutes before the 25 minute shows on the app, I'm not holding a lot of high hopes. You seen that I turned around using 20% more battery but going 2000' feet shorter on my flight this morning

Honestly my next comparison test is probably going to be the V3 split mod against a regular DJI battery.
Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
What are they really going to do, Canada, this is just one guys results and you got other guys working with them that post 30 to 35 minutes. So I'm guessing their only response is going to be wrong flight conditions, Wrong flight style, other factors, etc. that could be to blame. I suppose if many others have the same result then there's something. But right now they're just going to point to the couple situations that posted the high flight times. but the fact is the batteries they modded for me were practically brand-new 3 to 5 charges on both of them, and at least in my opinion, if anyone has the style of flying, flight location/conditions and experience to get 30 minutes out of a battery I think I do.

I meant more to help us with maybe what we can do to recreate the longer flight times. Maybe it's the firmware version / maybe it's a special charging technique / etc.

Reactions: dirtybum
O.k. Run # 4
Pretty much same results as run number three, 13 mile an hour winds, decided to put the V3 split mod up against my least producing lipo set. Nano tech 1600's
Took both out till I hit 50% battery then turned back.
V-3 @50%. 3.2 miles
Nano tech 1600 @50%. 4 miles
V-3 started clock @ 22 min
Nano's @ 26 min on go app
I think we all get the point here.

O.k. Run #
Pretty much same results as run number three, 13 mile an hour winds, decided to put the V3 split mod up against my least producing lipo set. Nano tech 1600's
Took both out till I hit 50% battery then turned back.
V-3 @50%. 3.2 miles
Nano tech 1600 @50%. 4 miles
I think we all get the point here.
You should also tell us how many minutes and to what battery percentage

I'm not getting my hopes up with this mod. I tested my own built split mod a few weeks ago before Horizon made it available to here to US. My own mod was getting same performance (or lack thereof). I ordered it anyway, thinking maybe there is something special going on with the custom balance leads...Even though my logical thought was nothing special since I can plug a G6 2400 into the same main battery and get way better performance. I still haven't received my V3 mod btw....

Same results here with the v3. It's just so odd that one person and Horizon get 32-36 minutes. And I trust these guys. Or it must have something to do with motors or config or firmware...

Well, i didnt put any other info from today's test flight because there really isn't anything more I can add. Until we get some others sharing their experiences my results all seem the same. To add to that, tests # 1,2,&3 were all using p3a w/ 1.6 new motors
Test #4 today p3p w/ 1.19 old motors
Results seemed the same

Same results here with the v3. It's just so odd that one person and Horizon get 32-36 minutes. And I trust these guys. Or it must have something to do with motors or config or firmware...

Everyone who has the v3 mod and has done some tests, list the following:

P3 f/w ver:
P3 Model#:
Flight time mins:
Battery % when land:

I'm not going to ask about flight characteristics yet because I don't think there is any relevance in knowing. I don't think anyone is flying in conditions that are so bad to warrant the poor performance. Even Horizon's last posted test example...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31