Plug n play battery mod

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461011753.171355.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461011770.288284.jpg

Hey flyers, as some of you know I've been testing the Horizon 5.2 split battery mod from Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas.
As some of you may have read, those of us that used the Horizon V-3 split mod were very unimpressed! Some of us getting as little as 22 minutes flight time.
When I first started testing these 5.2's I was equally disappointed not seeing much more than 24 minutes flight time. As testing went on and temperatures here in the Midwest warmed up I started seeing that flight time increase, I was flying in temperatures around 32°F. which is freezing. In the past week or so waiting for calm weather to give these a fair test, temperatures climbed up around the 60°F area. Each time that I tested that was a little warmer in temperature I have seen the flight time increase. My last flight using this 5.2 split mod on the p3p was 32:43 @ 5% battery and on p3S was 34: 03 @ 5% bat.
I expect those numbers to go up as (1) it gets warmer here around the 70° area
(2) these batteries enter a few more charge cycles to get broke in. This is the same batteries that have been claimed to be used in the p3 record flight.
I would expect in warmer weather for you to get 30+ minutes your 1st flight. My last flight didnt start the timer on the DJI Go app at 25:00 until 8 min. Into the flight.
There are battery mods that some of us are experimenting with, that are big,bulky, have a little more flight time, and require special LiHV chargers.
The thing you guys will like about this set up is that all the work is been taken out of it for you. The smart battery is modded with an XT 60 connector and a balance plug so you can plug it together with the external split mod for a complete plug-and-play mod.
When it's time to charge, you also charge them all as one unit with your standard DJI charger, so no need for additional purchases.
This is a great jumpstart for somebody looking to get into the battery mod world that doesn't want to alter their bird or warranty but wants to experiment with 10+ extra minutes of flight time. When you decide you want to try different external batteries you already have the modded DJI smart battery with balance plug that you can also charge those batteries with the standard DJI charger. For more info contact Tom Parker at Midwest Horizons, or ask me on this post or message me. I encourage you if you do purchase this to also use this post to share your results so others just reading it know what to expect.
5200ah 4S hi voltage, Power mod V3.5 - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

Last edited:
No problem, this is a good start into the battery mod world[emoji41]

So, if I'm reading it right, I still need to mod a stock battery and add a charger for the additional batteries. At least, that's the way it seems from the link.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No, I'll check the link, but the process should be , you send him your (1)battery , he will mod it with XT 60 connector and balance plug and also send you a split 5.2 with XT 60 connector and balance plug. That system will allow you to charge the externals using the dji charger. Let me check

The last time I posted in the Horizon thread I was told everyone was unimpressed with the mod. So now is it all good then? Do I just need to send a battery and purchase the mod at the link you provided?

Nice writeup DB. Do you know what 5200mAh pack is split? Also, what's the weight of this?

No, I'll check the link, but the process should be , you send him your (1)battery , he will mod it with XT 60 connector and balance plug and also send you a split 5.2 with XT 60 connector and balance plug. That system will allow you to charge the externals using the dji charger. Let me check
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The last time I posted in the Horizon thread I was told everyone was unimpressed with the mod. So now is it all good then? Do I just need to send a battery and purchase the mod at the link you provided?
As I stated at the beginning of THIS post, I started a whole thread about the Horizon "V-3" power mod where horizon split a "DJI" battery into a split pack that V-(3) pack did NOT produce as much flight time as the company claimed (at least not w/ most of us bought and tried it)!
This is NOT that pack! This is a 5200mAh liHV battery split into (2) packs with (1) connector for an easy charge/install.
I believe from my own tests of these, that most of you should see 30 mins with these, with the range being from 26-35 mins.

I checked out the site and it appears that price is JUST for the 5.2 split pack with a link below for a modded battery, I've advised Tom Parker to maybe package it together as a complete plug and play unit the way I understood it was going to be offered so I expect there to be changes but in the meantime just e-mail Tom and explain to him what you would like to purchase! He's VERY good w/costumer service.

Nice writeup DB. Do you know what 5200mAh pack is split? Also, what's the weight of this?
The only thing I was told when offered these for testing is that they are Turnigy brand batteries!
I'll see if I can confirm that w/ Tom and send him the link to this post so maybe he can chime in as well.
My scale took a crap and I've been waiting for a Hong Kong delivery, but I'll pick one up locally tomorrow and get you a weight[emoji41]

No rush DB :) You just love ordering everything direct from China don't you? Amazon Prime mannnnnnnn!

I checked out the site and it appears that price is JUST for the 5.2 split pack with a link below for a modded battery, I've advised Tom Parker to maybe package it together as a complete plug and play unit the way I understood it was going to be offered so I expect there to be changes but in the meantime just e-mail Tom and explain to him what you would like to purchase! He's VERY good w/costumer service.
Yeah, he needs to offer this as a package. The P3 new battery modded and the 5.2 split pack. Then you can choose the extras, such as the monitor & mounts. But the entire battery package needs it's own package deal. Then I'll buy it. I don't like explaining things in email. A proper packaging for purchase is needed. This is actually something I'm really excited about. Plug&play rules the day for my needs with this. Then if I just want to fly a stock battery, I pop one of mine in. Perfect solution.

Yeah, he needs to offer this as a package. The P3 new battery modded and the 5.2 split pack. Then you can choose the extras, such as the monitor & mounts. But the entire battery package needs it's own package deal. Then I'll buy it. I don't like explaining things in email. A proper packaging for purchase is needed. This is actually something I'm really excited about. Plug&play rules the day for my needs with this. Then if I just want to fly a stock battery, I pop one of mine in. Perfect solution.
I agree 100% Shockwave! This product is only going to appeal to the crowd that wants an easy
plug n play system that they can toss in their case, use it if they want/need then on the next power up can just run a plain 'ol smart battery to fly n pic! Then at the end of the day hook up to regular DJI charger aka.. Plug n play! The guys who use battery mods and have for some time have got the knowhow and equipment that this kit does not necessarily suite there needs!
Its early yet and I have suggested Tom makes some adjustments to the selling points/web post

Reactions: Jtrjr
I agree 100% Shockwave! This product is only going to appeal to the crowd that wants an easy
plug n play system that they can toss in their case, use it if they want/need then on the next power up can just run a plain 'ol smart battery to fly n pic! Then at the end of the day hook up to regular DJI charger aka.. Plug n play! The guys who use battery mods and have for some time have got the knowhow and equipment that this kit does not necessarily suite there needs!
Its early yet and I have suggested Tom makes some adjustments to the selling points/web post
I mentioned in the original thread that for me, and I'll wager some others too, it's not about adding time for extreme distance. For me it's about adding time to cover event filming that sometimes can last up to 25 minutes (more typically 18-20) and never really needing to fly further than max 2k', mostly with very slow orbits and hovering. I can fly a 15 minute event mostly being comfortable with a stock battery but if the event pushes closer to 18- 20 minutes, that gets very uncomfortable in terms of having enough juice to safely fly that situation. I cannot shoot almost the whole event and bail out- it's all or nothing for my needs. I mostly commit to 12 minute events because with pre-event drone positioning taking upwards of 2 or 3 minutes, there's your 15 minute total flight. This plug and play mod will hopefully free me of time constraints enough that I can fly a solid 24 minutes without even a concern, since I'm never that far from the home point. Closer to 30 minutes, a total home run!

This is what might have made me buy a P4, but that long flight hype was quickly 'shot down'. So, bring it on horizon, lol!

Reactions: EddieM and dirtybum
Crap, the saddle only fits the dji split pack. Really want the saddles. Not sure what to use at this point for easy on and off the bird. Looks like I scored the last one of this kit in stock. Looking forward to it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj