Horizon - In-Flight Gimbal Calibration?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried doing the auto gimbal calibration mid flight? I did this when my horizon was tilted and it actually seemed to correct it. I wasn't recording at the time and I only tried once, but I will try it again and post a video if it works the next time I try. It is raining right now but hopefully I can get out later. I am assuming this probably is not the fix as the phantom is probably NEVER completely level mid flight. Just in my one try it definitely leveled the horizon out.

Just wondering if anyone has tried doing the auto gimbal calibration mid flight? I did this when my horizon was tilted and it actually seemed to correct it. I wasn't recording at the time and I only tried once, but I will try it again and post a video if it works the next time I try. It is raining right now but hopefully I can get out later. I am assuming this probably is not the fix as the phantom is probably NEVER completely level mid flight. Just in my one try it definitely leveled the horizon out.

I happened to try this yesterday, but it said that it failed the calibration. My horizon has been far from level at times. It seems to fluctuate depending on which way I'm pointing. So this morning, I performed another cold IMU calibration.. This time, however, I did it indoors on a granite counter which should be perfectly level. After that I tried to calibrate the gimbal since the horizon was now even more off level, but it only alleviated the issue. After 4 more tries, it finally leveled out perfectly. I even tested it in all directions and it stayed perfectly level the entire time, which is a first for me..

Reactions: 30secs
If my horizon is really off I will auto calibrate gimbal in the air. It works.

If my horizon is really off I will auto calibrate gimbal in the air. It works.

Perhaps this requires zero wind to pull off. There was a slight breeze now when I tried it. Did you notice how windy it was?

I think the trick to getting it calibrated correctly on the ground is to do it multiple times until the horizon is perfect. If you watch the sensor measurements on each of the axis, you'll see them fluctuating a few degrees.. I wonder if this effects the calibration result, making a perfect calibration much more difficult without several attempts.

Last edited:
I happened to try this yesterday, but it said that it failed the calibration. My horizon has been far from level at times. It seems to fluctuate depending on which way I'm pointing. So this morning, I performed another cold IMU calibration.. This time, however, I did it indoors on a granite counter which should be perfectly level. After that I tried to calibrate the gimbal since the horizon was now even more off level, but it only alleviated the issue. After 4 more tries, it finally leveled out perfectly. I even tested it in all directions and it stayed perfectly level the entire time, which is a first for me..

The combination of a cold IMU calibration on a level surface followed by gimbal calibration both on that level surface and while hovering with a clear view of a pretty even horizon (not many hills, etc) in low wind is what finally solved my issue.

Not sure if it was one of these things or all but something worked haha

When doing a calibration, does the gimbal actual use what the camera sees as part of the calibration? Doubt it but thought I'd ask. On the Gimbal Calibration that is.

Actually you don't need to go thru a calibration in flight, it is much easier and faster to just hover the A/C heading downwind (if any) and do a gimbal roll adjustment. The adjustment box opens small in the middle lower of the screen so it is easy to observe the horizon while using the + and - buttons to adjust. - adjusts roll counter clockwise and + clockwise. Normally one or two clicks will do it. Keep in mind the gimbal resets itself on each power up.

Reactions: cmyk22
Quick video of me doing the Auto calibration in the air. Right at the beginning is about when I hit the calibrate button. Seemed to work this time as well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually you don't need to go thru a calibration in flight, it is much easier and faster to just hover the A/C heading downwind (if any) and do a gimbal roll adjustment. The adjustment box opens small in the middle lower of the screen so it is easy to observe the horizon while using the + and - buttons to adjust. - adjusts roll counter clockwise and + clockwise. Normally one or two clicks will do it. Keep in mind the gimbal resets itself on each power up.
Temporary fix that doesn't really work all that well. We are looking for a (somewhat) permanent fix.

I agree on the permanent fix. I've had my horizon level on 1 flight. The others required gimbal adjustments.

What I find interesting is that my horizon is PRETTY good (not perfect) right after an IMU calibration but then as soon as I perform the gimbal calibration it gets significantly worse. I take all appropriate steps - cold temperature, level surface, etc.

I suggest repeating the gimbal calibration several times... Until it levels. Definitely don't give up after only one or two tries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic