Horizon FPV Antennas Terminator Extreme Unboxing

Pro, I tested this afternoon. I was able to get over 1000ft with the Sunhans and turned around. My u.FL cables are good I believe. I tested again with just the antenna attached to the remote, and made it out to 3000ft before no signal, adjusted my height but still could not get past that distance. Will is in contact with me on a solution!

Sweet I hope your up and flying soon!!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went out and did a check on my u.FL cables, all 3 are are reading around .2 ohms with a lead on the center pin, one on the outer connector. Also checked to see if any were spun around inside and they all look clean. DB, I actually no longer have my old antenna, I sold it to help pay for the Extreme.
When checking cables , you can do a basic DC continuity test , ( without the cable connected and both ends free ). This will prove the continuity , U.fl , coax etc but make sure you disconnect them first . if you put a meter on them an have the end connected , then you actually introducing a voltage to the antenna receive input which is not good.

the best way is with a RF power meter ,connect to a known source like 20 mw of 2.4 transmitter a vtx will do for this , the with a RF power meter rated at that freq measure the power into a dummy load , this will show the cable loss as well , then change the cable to the one you want to test .

With RF amps there is a two way path , the transmit and receive path , the transmit path may me ok or not and the receive may be a problem , on the inverse maybe true , the rx is good and the RF amp is bad. So you have to prove both signal paths , once you prove all the cable are good you can then narrow it down . if you try to put a meter on the Antenna it will show hi resistance , this is RF not DC , you need a spectrum analyser to measure the return loss . However if there is a short when testing with a meter then there is a problem with the antenna ( panel type , not folded dipoles ) .

the simplest way to prove the cables in the RC is to put a pair of rubber duck antennas on the RC unit and fly out a few hundred meters . (we have dual band antennas for this ) .

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Hey Beau whats the word? You find exact problem?

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy

Hey Beau whats the word? You find exact problem?

Pro, since DB's a test pilot for Horizon, I'm sending him my Panel and my 5.8 amp. I tested yesterday with everything connected correctly. At about 1000ft, all of a sudden I'd get signal lost, even disconnected.

Like Will said, that amp might be bad out of the box. But even unboosted, I can't make it past 3000ft. I think there's an issue with the 5.8 panel and 5.8 amp, but DB will tell us for sure.

Reactions: phxbird57
Nice! Do you need antennas to use while you get yours taking care of? Im sure i got something you can borrow in the meantime so you can fly! Let me know

Just received BeauS's 17dB 5.8 extreme panel in the mail. My next few flights will be putting it through good flight paths w/ my p3S and his 5.8 gold amp. See what I produce because it was not producing well for him ( we both live in Iowa)
Heres some comparison pics of his white 17 dB panel vs my black 19dB panel
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468954753.812681.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468954761.277711.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468954772.428031.jpg

Big difference for 2dB's!! Makes me want to open Beau's panel!!
DONT WORRY I'm not going to BeauS! Stay tuned!

Nice! cant wait to see the results!! hopefully it was just a cable or amp issue. Is that 17dbi a stacked micro strip? that's how my 19dbi 5.8 is and is about that size

Just received BeauS's 17dB 5.8 extreme panel in the mail. My next few flights will be putting it through good flight paths w/ my p3S and his 5.8 gold amp. See what I produce because it was not producing well for him ( we both live in Iowa)
Heres some comparison pics of his white 17 dB panel vs my black 19dB panelView attachment 60187View attachment 60188View attachment 60189
Wow, good to see you got it already! That's a huge difference in size for 2db, the 17 looks a lot thicker though!

Heres some comparison pics of his white 17 dB panel vs my black 19dB panelView attachment 60187View attachment 60188View attachment 60189
Wow big difference.

Ok so this is the first I have heard about this type of range booster and that is pretty awesome!! My question, however, is how do you make the smart batteries last long enough to go that kind of range and back? My batteries last maybe 25 mins max. Is that long enough to go that distance and back or is there a way to get more flight time out of the batteries?

Ok so this is the first I have heard about this type of range booster and that is pretty awesome!! My question, however, is how do you make the smart batteries last long enough to go that kind of range and back? My batteries last maybe 25 mins max. Is that long enough to go that distance and back or is there a way to get more flight time out of the batteries?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468967802.402365.jpg

Extra bats

Wow, good to see you got it already! That's a huge difference in size for 2db, the 17 looks a lot thicker though!
Hey Beau I may be wrong but I think yours is smaller because of genetics! lol just kidding. For reals tho I think DB's is a single and the one you have is stacked....again I may be wrong but that's how my Laird is...mine is 8" x 8" x 1-1/8".

I didn't really have the right bracket to place Beaus's 17dB panel above my 19s , but I was anxious to try an unboosted set up, so I rigged it up this way and had to boost my 2.4 panels using the 3 foot cables.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469024844.109505.jpg

Before even taking off I was getting no signal glitches on the app. Once I got out 500' The Wi-Fi preview was real glitchy and lagged. I think this was a result of having the 3 foot cables going from the antennas to the boosters, the way they was intended was The short cables from the antennas to the booster and then the long cable from the booster to the controller. I'm going to hit the hardware store for an aluminum stock bar and set it up the right way

Man you guys are creative, are you gunna attach it to that vertical bracket? I'm Anxious to see your results!

Here's the way I wanted to do it. But as you probably know BeauS, it feels like 115° and 95% humidity today, and I'm still working outside till 5:30. So I might not make the flight till morning
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469050635.625443.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469050645.392454.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469050656.697463.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469050664.345537.jpg

Part 1. Extreme 17dB vs 19dB UNBOOSTED
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469113470.797812.jpg

This panel had a strong signal out to about 3000 feet and then bars started getting weaker till I lost signal about 8000 feet, was able to regain control and go to 9000 feet, where I lost signal and when regain control could not get past 9000 feet
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469113577.655458.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469113631.491464.jpg

Good signal out to a mile then bars dipped slightly, around 9000 feet(in the same spot the 17dB was having its most trouble) I start getting weak signal message, I lost control at 12,000 feet, but was able to regain it turn around and fight through it, I chose to turn around at 17,000 feet 60% battery to play it safe in this high wind.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469113815.542486.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469113824.279956.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj