Horizon FPV Antennas Terminator Extreme Unboxing

Hey Will, I'm going to stick with the Gold 3W 5.8 RF. The Anker power bank wont power my 4W anyway, so I'd have some clutter using an additional power pack to power that 4W.
what you have to realise guys if your going from say 2.5 watts to three or for watts with the current antenna setup this will not really make that much difference , as its all physics , so if for instance your getting 5 miles with a 2.5 watt RF amp , upping it to say 3 or 4 watts will not really do that much , there is a simple rule I mentioned before , to double the distance you have to quadruple the power , so instead of upping the power , up the gain on the antenna system much safer, the above is an example you will find the 2.5 watts with the correct antenna combination will go like 20 + miles

From what I understand Mark, The compact 17dB is just as good and smaller so it'll catch less wind on your flagpole[emoji41]
I was thinking that's because the 5.8 panel was installed close to the 2.4 panels, and so the system as a whole performed better for that reason. I'm thinking more of an independent 5.8 panel. I don't understand how a stand-alone 17 db can perform better than a stand-alone 19 db.

I don't care about the wind since I am launching from a valley. The valley is protected from the wind. It's either calm near the ground or too windy up high.

... to double the distance you have to quadruple the power
Yes - the inverse square law! People on this site have tried to explain to me that the law doesn't apply to RC except in certain and rare situations but I think it does apply - not precisely but generally.

I agree with Mark. I don't understand how a 17dBi can perform better than a 19dBi. Does anyone know what the max distance achieved was with the 5.8 extreme? I know DB got some great distance but when Will tested them did he get farther than what DB did?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I agree with Mark. I don't understand how a 17dBi can perform better than a 19dBi. Does anyone know what the max distance achieved was with the 5.8 extreme? I know DB got some great distance but when Will tested them did he get farther than what DB did?

you not getting the point , the 17 db is 50% smaller than the 19 dB and only 2 dB difference , the 19 dB would be better we never said the 17 dB was better just smaller for the sake of 2 dB

also you can phase match them , so its not how far it will go but how far you want it to go on 5.8 GHz going long range on 5.8 GHz is not a problem just high gain and higher power , but your better off coming down in freq ,then power comes down and the range goes up as the free space path loss is less , the lower the freq the lower the free space path loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum

you not getting the point , the 17 db is 50% smaller than the 19 dB and only 2 dB difference , the 19 dB would be better we never said the 17 dB was better just smaller for the sake of 2 dB

Hey Will, has Horizon or any other test pilots tested the 5.8 panels with an aircraft or only test equipment?

Hey Will, has Horizon or any other test pilots tested the 5.8 panels with an aircraft or only test equipment?
lik if you got 2 x 17 dB and paned matched them , you would get around 20dB ,
or 4 of them around 23 dB , but it would be better to use a single 19 db , for the sake of 1 dB and a dish antennas instead of 4 x panels, not many people have flow out long ranges on 5.8 GHz as it a hi path loss and good power required . see how fare you can get with that 19 dB panel.

I've gone 40000 out w/ it, no complaints here! I cant go the flight path that has interference even though the lightbridge, sails right through it, that's probably just a characteristic of 5.8 frequency, because I can't get other 5.8 antennas to work that direction either. I was just curious if I'm the only one that's tested this long distance with an actual aircraft.

I've gone 40000 out w/ it, no complaints here! I cant go the flight path that has interference even though the lightbridge, sails right through it, that's probably just a characteristic of 5.8 frequency, because I can't get other 5.8 antennas to work that direction either. I was just curious if I'm the only one that's tested this long distance with an actual aircraft.
probably are , we have bad weather here still , blowing and raining on bloody July ,,,, so much for summer.if we wanted to go like 20 miles on 5.8 we would do the calculation and use the appropriate antenna kit to cover the distance with some margin on conditions.`

so doing the math , 630 mw with 3 db VTX antenna and a 19 dB would yield 19.6 Km.
with the same power but phasing 2 of the 19 dB together would give around 22dB and this its 27.7km
change the power to 1 watt instead of 630mw would jump to around 35km , there is really no limit you can just keep upping the gain and power . pump it to 40 w with that 22db and its a silly like 111 km , your into to space communication then ...... you can still keep going and upping the gain further , just swap it for a dish of ay 32 db then your getting 350km.... your into geo stationary orbit now . and i have already done that and much much further .

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
That was interesting Will, but now you're way out of my league[emoji41]

FAA probably wouldn't mind if we put one in orbit right? There're no planes running up that high...

Seriously, the problem is the earth surface curves and that limits us because of the 400' ceiling, so that's why I think we need to put more thought into antenna mast applications. So, looking ahead, instead of having two limitations (battery power, tx power), there will eventually be three (battery power, tx power, antenna mast length).

Also, consider that many of us don't have access to flatlands. A nice antenna mast would do a lot to resolve that problem.

BTW I ordered my antenna mast ground mount today...

FAA probably wouldn't mind if we put one in orbit right? There're no planes running up that high...

Seriously, the problem is the earth surface curves and that limits us because of the 400' ceiling, so that's why I think we need to put more thought into antenna mast applications. So, looking ahead, instead of having two limitations (battery power, tx power), there will be three (battery power, tx power, antenna mast length).

Also, consider that many of us don't have access to flatlands. A nice antenna mast would do a lot to resolve that problem.

BTW I ordered my antenna mast ground mount today...
If I remember correctly from my cousin You can build a tower equal to the tallest building or structure with in 100 yards ( not sure on that). He had a 150 tower in his backyard. Ham radio.

I'm starting out small. I already have a bunch of flagpoles used for tailgating football games. So I'll start off at 20' and move up. They just telescope up and you can put them on top of each other. And then I can take them down when I'm done.

I'm starting out small. I already have a bunch of flagpoles used for tailgating football games. So I'll start off at 20' and move up. They just telescope up and you can put them on top of each other. And then I can take them down when I'm done.
Just make sure there is no storms in the area. I don't what you to make the head lines.:eek:

Hey guys, I've been out of the game for a long time. This is the first time I've flown in months.

I'm having some major signal issues though with the Extreme. I get a weak transmission signal right away, with no signal about about 500ft.

I think the video is limited to that same distance too. Not sure where the problem is yet, do I need to recheck my u.FL cables?

My firmware is 1.2.40 on the standard. Also, is the Extreme sitting okay here Will?

20160713_204117.jpg

Just make sure there is no storms in the area. I don't what you to make the head lines.:eek:

I want Mark to make the headlines on this site, I'm gonna start working on the next bat mod for you[emoji41] if you get a successful signal out of your cables 20 feet off the ground you're going to need a good 35 min. bat mod for that vision!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Hey guys, I've been out of the game for a long time. This is the first time I've flown in months.

I'm having some major signal issues though with the Extreme. I get a weak transmission signal right away, with no signal about about 500ft.

I think the video is limited to that same distance too. Not sure where the problem is yet, do I need to recheck my u.FL cables?

My firmware is 1.2.40 on the standard. Also, is the Extreme sitting okay here Will?

20160713_204117.jpg

Hook up your old antenna to it see what your range is there, that'll tell you a lot about your u.fl cables ,then hook up the extreme unboosted. If your bird was flying fine before, at least a reasonable range, then I wouldn't worry about the firmware or the UF.l cables

Reactions: phxbird57
**** that really sucks, I know you was excited, I was excited, and we was all excited for you. There's got to be an answer

I want Mark to make the headlines on this site, I'm gonna start working on the next bat mod for you[emoji41] if you get a successful signal out of your cables 20 feet off the ground you're going to need a good 35 min. bat mod for that vision!
I just don't want his new nick name to be Lighting bolt. But I guess if his in his truck and that being insulated with rubber tires.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj