Horizon FPV Antennas Terminator Extreme Unboxing

Thats great!! So we know the panel is good!...so maybe beaus cables are bad?

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy

I didn't have any luck using my longer cables the three-foot ones that came with it, I think he did use those maybe that's his downfall. That being said I still expected more out of that 17 dB panel. But it seems like that 9000 foot area was a roadblock for both of them, mine was just able to fight through it. I'll wait for a calmer day. And try them both boosted with his amp

Yes, 9000 ft with the 17db vs 17000 ft with the 19 db is not a little thing.

Looking forward to the next test.

Meanwhile I fell upon this, this morning.

L-Com HG5827EG 5.8 GHz 27 dBi Die Cast Aluminum Reflector Grid Antenna

Only 9 degree and 6 degree beamwidth, but 26 db! I'm thinking it might work for a long straight run...
I seen some of those on ebay for a really good price...it's very tempting to get one just to try it! who knows, might work really good for the p3s or p2v

I didn't have any luck using my longer cables the three-foot ones that came with it, I think he did use those maybe that's his downfall. That being said I still expected more out of that 17 dB panel. But it seems like that 9000 foot area was a roadblock for both of them, mine was just able to fight through it. I'll wait for a calmer day. And try them both boosted with his amp
Hey DB, it was starting to loose bars at 3000ft correct? That's where I could get no further, even fighting it left me disconnected. It started to loose bars at around 1500ft, then I'd have to raise altitude to get another 1000 out of it. I give you props for getting out in this terrible heat, and fighting that wind as well! Honestly, I like having the 3 foot cables, I can step back without having any weight on the controller. Is there a better cable type than the RG-58?

I've always preferred RG 58 and a 3 foot long one is very expensive. I haven't had much luck using the longer cables, you seen the day before I tried to use him I got no signal right off the bat. I'm not sure if you tried using a shorter cable set up, but I would suggest it.

Reactions: Procharged97
Just did 45000 w/ the p3S and BeauS's amp and antenna also had the craziest flight of my life! Barely got my bird back!! Fill you in later
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469674937.406711.jpg

Just did 45000 w/ the p3S and BeauS's amp and antenna also had the craziest flight of my life! Barely got my bird back!! Fill you in laterView attachment 60915
Wow, 45,000!!! Great work man, I knew you'd be the guy to see what these things can do. Will did a good job making these things both durable and perform excellent. Is you're gimbal okay?

Wow, 45,000!!! Great work man, I knew you'd be the guy to see what these things can do. Will did a good job making these things both durable and perform excellent. Is you're gimbal okay?

The arm is a little bent, very fixable, i'm not a photography guy so I don't need it to be perfect

Sorry for the long post and please do not quote this post, it's too long

OK, I finally got the west winds I was waiting on to do this test with the 17 DB and Beaus amp. Fairly calm evening, and I still wanted to try the 6.6 split on the P3S.
I took it right out of my driveway which is a semi obstructed flight path for a Wi-Fi unit, the light bridge cuts right through it, here's my vantage point
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469678717.255930.jpg

I was flying pretty low for quite some time and bumped it up every now and again before it was even necessary. I made it past 40,000 before I even saw my first bar drop! Once I got around 45,000 it would drop it low then come back. But that's a long **** ways from home for a Wi-Fi unit with a semi obstructed view
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469678887.387772.jpg

The turnaround was a little sloppy, in that instead of turning straight around 180° I shot off to the side for a second, while trying to get back onto the flightpath, with a signal that was already starting to drop, the signal cut out all together. I was probably 150 feet off to the side of my flight path and with my half obstructed view and that kind of distance, it spelled disaster. All I could do was hit RTH and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. On my screen shot I knew I had 21 minutes of flight left, but in RTH mode at 22 miles an hour, not make it all the way. I set a timer for 21 minutes on my phone after eight minutes I'm still not picking the signal back up, I was freaky! I start running back towards my driveway and left the controller/tripod setting in the road, grab my truck to go to miles from home point to see if I could pick it up with a more open area or at least see it flying by. The plan was to grab my truck and then on the way out the driveway throw my controller in it. When I reached my controller I noticed it had picked signal back up, it was 4 miles from home with 22% left, I took control of the controller and brought it within 2 miles of home to emergency land it. When I hit 10% and it started descending it's spiraled a little bit, possibly from the weight of the 6.6. I controlled it as best I could and when it landed I remotely shut the motors down with the CSC from 2 miles away, I drove there to pick it up and noticed it was tipped back on to the battery side. It looks like the gimbal arm is a little bent, but I'm sure it's going to fly another day and I thought for sure I wasn't getting it back it all.
So yes that antenna and amp works just fine, and I'm buying a tracker for the P3S as soon as I'm done with this post[emoji41]

Hey DB great story!

Yeah first thing I did was check your Flytrex and there wasn't a flight so I knew you didn't have the tracker. Just think if you had the tracker, it would have removed some of the mystery.

This same thing has happened to me but not nearly as far out and no battery mod weight. Then I spin around and I'm facing the wrong direction but didn't know it because of the lag in the FPV. I was patient and regained FPV and slowly adjusted the direction while watching the battery dip below 50% - 49% - 48%... trying to stay calm and then I finally jammed home with a nice strong tail wind.

But the whole time I knew I had flytrex as a back up app.

Another thing I could have done was just turn off the controller and wait 10 secs or whatever, then turn it back on, and take control with right stick straight up and fly straight home even without FPV with the assumption I had control - and then I could check it with Flytrex. And if I didn't have control, I'd try it again. ATTI GPS. ATTI GPS. Just keep doing it until I see the speed jump on the flytrex app. (I am assuming the P3S controller has a physical toggle switch on the controller to enable ATTI like on the P2V series)

Flytrex is awesome.

Last edited:
Here's my DJI log where I lost signal
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469711992.893519.jpg

Here's the log when I pick the signal back up
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469712044.727321.jpg

That's over 28,000 feet or just over 5 miles that it was cruising back in RTH mode without any contact. Is that freaking amazing or what! It shows just over 5 1/2 minutes left before it's critical and 17,000 feet left, I'm not sure if it would've made it all the way home or not it would've been close

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I'm gonna go ahead and throw this panel and amp back in the mail, I think I can say without a doubt the panel and amp are working fine. I would start looking into the cables in your set up as the problem. But the antenna and amp worked like a champ[emoji41]

**** DB thats crazy...i woulda freaked out bad!! It sux flytrex doesn't have smething for the standard

**** DB thats crazy...i woulda freaked out bad!! It sux flytrex doesn't have smething for the standard

My wife was walking out the driveway to see where I was because it was getting dark when I was running back towards my truck, she said it was cute to see how panicked I was! That's not usually my style when I'm flying, but this thing was gone for a long time

Last night after I recovered signal I couldn't seem to get more than 25 mph even when I switched it to Atti, so when I got to 9500 feet till home point with 13% left, that tells me at that speed it's going to be a real struggle to make it all the way, that's why decided to emergency land[emoji41]

Reactions: Mark The Droner
How does the standard do with extra big battery weight vs p3a/p, p4??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4