HoodiVision PatHat Air Sun Shade for iPad Air

Well as you can see I have as of now 7 different shades and as each has its plus and minus I still stand by my statements and still fly with the one linked.
If others like it good for them as far as im concerned padhat sucks
as seen in the photo I have had flights out as far as 3 miles but with the padhat shade I could not even reach 5500ft due to the low angle of antennas needs to use the shade.
If your a close in flyer who flies in no wind this may work for you.
P3 record.JPG

Hello. First off, if you bought the shade in the last 30 days, we have an unconditional guarantee so you could return it for a full refund.

That said we take issue with your comments about our product. We have the only shade on the market for DJI controllers that truly and actually blocks glare and reflection on the surface of the iPad. The other shade you reference does not block glare and reflection. In fact a 90 degree shade must be 16-20"high to accomplish what the PadHat does in 8".

Jim Bonnardel, Owner DIY Drones.com and President of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego sent this to us unsolicited:

"

So you have one guy who says wow its great
If you search this forum and the P2+ forum you will find 20 times that many that say just what I have about the ipad air version.
If the side were stiffer this may fix issue. everyone has said the same thing the Sides bow way out, top comes down and then you have to lay almost flat to use it.
It is what it is:(

I agree with snerd, I have tried a few now and find that it's the angle of the Padhat that makes it work so well. It's the best one I have tried for the mini and the one im sticking with for sure. I have heard the sides fall a bit for the larger one for the air a few times now tho.
For the mini they rock tho.

Reactions: HoodiVision
So you have one guy who says wow its great
If you search this forum and the P2+ forum you will find 20 times that many that say just what I have about the ipad air version.
If the side were stiffer this may fix issue. everyone has said the same thing the Sides bow way out, top comes down and then you have to lay almost flat to use it.
It is what it is:(
As previously noted, your comments are based on a defective shade, of which less than 100 were accidentally distributed.

The angle is determined by the physics of the controller angle, shade angle vs height, and how light reflection works. Again the shade you recommended does not block glare and reflection. You can see your reflection just like a mirror. It puzzles us why anyone would settle for something that does not solve the problem.

We did smile about "So you have one guy who says wow its great". We take your "20" and raise it times 100. ;)

The fact is that we have sold 1000s, receive unsolicited comments congratulating us on our shades and customer service almost daily, and considering we have a 30 day unconditional and one year guarantee on manufacturing and materials, we have less than 2% return rate. As you can see in the pics the PadHat Air works great... and these are real pros who live and breath UAVs daily. Our shades are used on production shoots around the world by pro pilots for a reason... they actually work. If attached and mounted correctly, the PadHat Air holds its shape. Your comment about distance must be an anomaly because we have pilots we work with who say they have no reduction in flight distance and antenna reach. In fact to our knowledge this is first time anyone has made such a claim. We encourage constructive feedback so we want to hear from anyone who will share their experiences. We learn from pilots and our evolving design decisions show we listen. Considering our shades were discovered in masse in February of this year, and not originally designed for UAV use, we have proven to be respectful, supportive and responsive to those needs.

You should know that we are currently designing a magnetic shade for one of the major aircraft manufacturers' drone program used in agriculture, surveying, etc. They bought PadHat shades and experimented with them before contacting us. Why did they choose us? Again it is because, based on engineering and science, our shades actually block shade and glare.

And we are working on a "Pro" shade design specifically for UAV pilots. Design and development takes time plus the logistics of production and distribution. We will seed prototypes, like we currently are doing for a RED camera display shade, to DP/pilots for field testing and feedback before finalizing.

We have found your order along with previous correspondence. Our customer service representative was quick in response, polite, and worked to understand your concerns. We sent out new velcro pieces free of charge at your request without knowing that you had "1 of a 100". Perhaps in hindsight we should have initially asked if that was the case and we do apologize that it took a pic on this thread to determine the actual issue.

We suggest to move beyond the coarse and counter productive trashing that does nothing to solve anyone's needs. We want happy and satisfied customers and to design and sell products that actually work as opposed to the numerous shades on the market that do not block glare and reflection.

In conclusion we sincerely appreciate the acknowledgment about the PadHat Mini.

Customer service will reply and hopefully we can arrive at a solution that works for you, including the choice of a full refund based on our full year guarantee on material defects as is the case with the wing tabs on the shade you received. And as a show of goodwill this goes beyond our guarantee that states the guarantee is voided if the shade is altered in any way. You must admit that beats trying to sell a severely altered shade on Ebay... :)

Sincerest Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

As previously noted, your comments are based on a defective shade, of which less than 100 were accidentally distributed.

Customer service will reply and hopefully we can arrive at a solution that works for you, including the choice of a full refund based on our full year guarantee on material defects as is the case with the wing tabs on the shade you received. And as a show of goodwill this goes beyond our guarantee that states the guarantee is voided if the shade is altered in any way. You must admit that beats trying to sell a severely altered shade on Ebay... :)

Sincerest Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

This is fair, and as stated in the email I sent customer service I think you ipad mini product is great. However I cant see even if I get a new one that it will satisfy my needs. As stated I must lay the ipad almost flat which causes the antennas to be pushed down thus decreasing range. I will however accept yoru offer of Money back on a defective product.

If attached and mounted correctly, the PadHat Air holds its shape. Your comment about distance must be an anomaly because we have pilots we work with who say they have no reduction in flight distance and antenna reach. In fact to our knowledge this is first time anyone has made such a claim. We encourage constructive feedback so we want to hear from anyone who will share their experiences. We learn from pilots and our evolving design decisions show we listen. Considering our shades were discovered in masse in February of this year, and not originally designed for UAV use, we have proven to be respectful, supportive and responsive to those needs.
Sincerest Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Well as a UAV pilot that has owned every version of the phantom series and with over a 1000 flights between them, I can tell you I am no stranger to the UAV world or how the antenna position affects distance. Production fliers (who you love to talk about using your product) are making most of there flights within line of sight or short distance. For those of us who fly well beyond this distance antenna position is important. There are 1000's of articles on it feel free to google. So if I am the first to let you know this I pat myself on the back for giving you useful information.

We learn from pilots and our evolving design decisions show we listen. Considering our shades were discovered in masse in February of this year, and not originally designed for UAV use, we have proven to be respectful, supportive and responsive to those needs.

Yes the phantom series has made you a boat load no doubt, with thousands looking for a tablet shade solution
Many despite its drawbacks may use it and for some it may fit there needs but as stated by many it does not and most have said the same thing the side bow out the top drops down. So take it for what its worth no skin off my teeth I don't make one or sell one just my experience .

Last edited:
This is fair, and as stated in the email I sent customer service I think you ipad mini product is great. However I cant see even if I get a new one that it will satisfy my needs. As stated I must lay the ipad almost flat which causes the antennas to be pushed down thus decreasing range. I will however accept yoru offer of Money back on a defective product.
Customer service will notify you with return and refund information

And just to be clear, we do not sell a "defective product."

You accidentally received 1 of about 100 defective shades where the wing tabs were sewn too high.

In the soft goods business it is often common for up to 20% of production to end up with defective sewing of some sort and some do get through. Sewing is a human activity.

Fortunately for us this is a rare occasion and since those got through we have tightened our quality control procedures.

Reactions: Toddzilla
Well as a UAV pilot that has owned every version of the phantom series and with over a 1000 flights between them, I can tell you I am no stranger to the UAV world or how the antenna position affects distance. Production fliers (who you love to talk about using your product) are making most of there flights within line of sight or short distance. For those of us who fly well beyond this distance antenna position is important. There are 1000's of articles on it feel free to google. So if I am the first to let you know this I pat myself on the back for giving you useful information.

We learn from pilots and our evolving design decisions show we listen. Considering our shades were discovered in masse in February of this year, and not originally designed for UAV use, we have proven to be respectful, supportive and responsive to those needs.

Yes the phantom series has made you a boat load no doubt, with thousands looking for a tablet shade solution
Many despite its drawbacks may use it and for some it may fit there needs but as stated by may it does not ans most have said the same thing the side bow out the top drops down. So take it for what its worth no skin off my teeth I don't make one or sell one just my experience .
As stated we welcome info from pilots about the experiences. In fact many send us videos showing how they use them.

We would like to point out there appears to just as many, if not more, positive comments.

5500' is over a mile. Our reports show that pilots have reached up to approximately 2 miles without any problems. Could it have an effect when going for 3 miles? Sure. We have no factual reason to doubt your claim. (Pat on the back ;)) But it is the first we have received related to our products.

If anyone else has experienced the same please let us know at [email protected]

Sincerely,
The HoodiVision Team

Reactions: Toddzilla
I would still like to hear others real experiences with using this on an iPad Air 2 WITHOUT having to use the extra Velcro that you have to stick on your iPad. Who would want to do that? The feedback I'm hearing around the web on other forums is that the micro suction things that secure the side flaps to the face of the iPad don't hold well in real world usage.

I would still like to hear others real experiences with using this on an iPad Air 2 WITHOUT having to use the extra Velcro that you have to stick on your iPad. Who would want to do that? The feedback I'm hearing around the web on other forums is that the micro suction things that secure the side flaps to the face of the iPad don't hold well in real world usage.

Hello,

The shade was originally designed for the general public and the NanoStik tabs work great.
When we discovered that UAV pilots were buying our shades we asked for feedback and ideas. The biggest issue was the NanoStik holding under more rigorous conditions. We arrived at this very effective solution based on pilot feedback and testing.

Please check here to see how the velcro tabs works... you might be surprised. The only difference from the instructions is that we now ship all shades with the Loop velcro top already applied. Plus the Hook velcro pieces that attach to the side bottom of the iPad or shell case are non-destructive and easily removed.

As stated before, we offer the only shade on the market for DJI pilots that actually blocks glare and reflection. None of the other shades work and a pilot can see their reflection on the display. We currently have the best solution and are working on a Pro UAV version that should go out testing the field later this summer.

We currently monitor Inspire Pilots and RC Groups.
Can you also please let us know what other forums?
It would be most graciously appreciated.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Last edited:
Hello,

The shade was originally designed for the general public and the NanoStik tabs work great.
When we discovered that UAV pilots were buying our shades we asked for feedback and ideas. The biggest issue was the NanoStik holding under more rigorous conditions. We arrived at this very effective solution based on pilot feedback and testing.

Please check here to see how the velcro tabs works... you might be surprised. The only difference from the instructions is that we now ship all shades with the Loop velcro top already applied. Plus the Hook velcro pieces that attach to the side bottom of the iPad or shell case are non-destructive and easily removed.

As stated before, we offer the only shade on the market for DJI pilots that actually blocks glare and reflection. None of the other shades work and a pilot can see their reflection on the display. We currently have the best solution and are working on a Pro UAV version that should go out testing the field later this summer.

We currently monitor Inspire Pilots and RC Groups.
Can you also please let us know what other forums?
It would be most graciously appreciated.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

It seems to me that most satisfied customers are those that use an iPad mini of some variety. The complaints I read about over on the InspirePilots forum also indicate that the NanoStik tabs do not hold well on the iPad Air 2, and that they blow off easily with very little wind.

If you can say that the Hoodivision for the iPad Air 2 is usable in the wind and doesn't fall off without having to having to attach the optional velcro strips, i'm sold. Attaching velcro strips is not an option for most. No one wants to have velcro strips on their iPad Air 2 when they are not using it. If it was a dedicated iPad Air 2, I maybe could see this as an option, but I only have one iPad Air 2 and it doubles duty with regular use and UAV use.

The complaints over on the thread on the InspirePilots forum combined with what I have heard here have steered me away from it and it was a top contender on my short list.

However, the fact that people are saying that the NanoStik tabs don't stick well has me concerned and frankly, pushed me to have to buy something from China for virtually the same price that I still haven't received and ordered over 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It seems to me that most satisfied customers are those that use an iPad mini of some variety. The complaints I read about over on the InspirePilots forum also indicate that the NanoStik tabs do not hold well on the iPad Air 2, and that they blow off easily with very little wind.

If you can say that the Hoodivision for the iPad Air 2 is usable in the wind and doesn't fall off without having to having to attach the optional velcro strips, i'm sold. Attaching velcro strips is not an option for most. No one wants to have velcro strips on their iPad Air 2 when they are not using it. If it was a dedicated iPad Air 2, I maybe could see this as an option, but I only have one iPad Air 2 and it doubles duty with regular use and UAV use.

The complaints over on the thread on the InspirePilots forum combined with what I have heard here have steered me away from it and it was a top contender on my short list.

However, the fact that people are saying that the NanoStik tabs don't stick well has me concerned and frankly, pushed me to have to buy something from China for virtually the same price that I still haven't received and ordered over 2 weeks ago.
Hello again and thanks for your detailed, informative and honest response.

On the Inspire thread those are older comments.
We worked with some of the Inspire pilots to solve this issue and based on their feedback developed the wing tab velcro solution.

For a strong stick in rigorous conditions, the velcro tab option must be used.
The velcro pieces that attach to the bottom of the iPad or shell case are super thin.
In fact when the iPad with the tabs are inserted into a tight shell case there is no case bulge.
Some pilots first put the iPad in a shell case then add the velcro to the bottom of the shell case.
Please be advised the tabs will not stick to silicone and composite silicone cases.

We wish you luck with the shade you ordered. Can you please report back to us how effectively it blocks glare and reflection? The quick and easy test is to leave the iPad dark with the shade and iPad on the controller and then look to see if it reflects like a mirror and/or shows glare spots. This accentuates the issue but the same reflections if present will be on your lit display.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Yes great video and I have said the Ipad mini works great
it is the ipad air version that I have issues with
for those with ipad mini buy its a great product
for those with ipad air do as you please it is only $40.00 buy it try it set it on the self your money
padhat acts like I'm a competitor selling a product and trying to discredit theirs.
I have no skin in the game just giving my personal experience with there product.
And for the record they have refunded me so I can't say the customer service sucks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik