Homemade Dropper

Reaction score
Hello! So, I'm planning on making a dropper which can transport payload (Paper) to the other side of our campus. I was planning using a cardboard box that I can attach to the drone. I plan on using an extra DJI gimbal lock which I will attach to the legs of the Phantom 4 Pro. Using the gimbal lock, I plan on drilling two holes in the camera part so that I can secure a metal coat hanger. Using the metal hanger, I plan on attaching it to the box so that the opening will face downward. Now, here's where I'm going to need some help. I've read online that you can use a servo to control stuff, but I have no idea if that's a viable option for my situation. I've also read online that you can use the front red LEDs on the Phantom 4 to control the opening and closing with a light source but that's susceptible to the light coming from the sun during the day. Anyways, after thinking of it, I plan on using a garage door opener to control the release mechanism of the box if possible. I need to know which parts I need to build this contraption. Like I said above, I'm thinking of releasing the payload by opening the flaps of the box on the bottom and I think I can use a servo, but I don't know. I'm willing to take any suggestions.

Reactions: Kenny1
There was a guy who posted in here once about using a photocell mounted under one of the front arm red leds to activate his extra on board lighting, he did however cover the entire assembly so outside light wouldn't activate it. That would likely be your best bet as you would have the same range as flying.

Just my thoughts. If you are not troubled by taking the top of your P4 off, use the wires directly to power an electromagnet/ servo to make the drop mechanism. You then just operate it from the app.

Can’t drive such a device directly with the underarm LED biasing circuitry.

Can’t drive such a device directly with the underarm LED biasing circuitry.
I not so bright. I wasn't thinking. Sorry. It hard for my mind to get into the physics of it all and I spoke beyond my minds knowledge.
I saw a product that used the light circuit to do the switching, not the actual powering of the device.

I not so bright. I wasn't thinking. Sorry. It hard for my mind to get into the physics of it all and I spoke beyond my minds knowledge.
I saw a product that used the light circuit to do the switching, not the actual powering of the device.
Yes there is such a product but it was a home build device and not something ive seen for sale.

Just wondering.......what are you using now to get that paper over yonder on the campus....might be best to keep it s i m p l e and continue the process as it is now.... or a good idea is a bicycle rider with paper in a back pack ! ( no batterys or drones in trees or hung UP in wires or grounded in rain )

Just my thoughts. If you are not troubled by taking the top of your P4 off, use the wires directly to power an electromagnet/ servo to make the drop mechanism. You then just operate it from the app.

Extra wires are gonna royally screw UP the sensitive antennas ..and No need for a electro magnet servo that makes makes matters with a sensitive compass worser in the drone....find another cheep O method as its a Dream to do this But not at all really practical !...........Good luck On what ever you decide to do. (im done here )

I would not drill into the camera assembly. Instead mount whatever you use from the legs. I rigged up a simple dowel taped to the right leg to allow me to fly a parachute cord over my 110 foot tower standoff to pull up wire antennas for Ham Radio. After flying the line over the standoff and about 100 feet past the tower, I simply yawed the drone 180 degrees and the line pulled itself off allowing the weighted end to fall to the ground from which I then pulled up the antennas. I also tried quickly backing up the Phantom to release the line which might work in your case but found the yaw method to work better for me.

Good luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

You lost me at "drill holes in the camera".

What did your phantom do to you? Why cant you just walk the paper over?

I'm planning on making a dropper which can transport payload (Paper) to the other side of our campus. I was planning using a cardboard box that I can attach to the drone.

Why not just buy ONE OF THESE and be done with it? Pretty ingenious device actually...

If you fly under FAA jurisdiction, first you must be 107 licensed as you will be delivering a service of value to recipients of your packages. Secondly, after getting more FAA licensing education, you will find that the restrictions on flying to drop packages are more restrictive than normal flying. Finally, if your campus has multiple story buildings, I'm not sure how you will be able to conform to the VLOS rule.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic