Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Great thread. Just got some parts in and can't wait to build my antennae. It's been down for 3 weeks now.

Question tho...
When you solder the extra bare copper on, are you making an L shape out of the stem, then making the T? It's what it looks like if I'm following correctly. My ADD gets the best of me...

You can do it either way. I just found it easier to bend the center wire 90 degrees and call it good. 1 less thing to solder.

...I'd be very interested to see what these spec out at, I'd also be interested in purchasing your Old Antenna (or anyone else that have
these laying around)...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

What kind of specs are you looking for in particular?

My old antennas are still inside the bird.

I just ordered a bunch of supplies to make these as a kit. I know a lot of guys can't solder and they want this mod, but don't want to pay $50+ the cost of the u.fl to RP-SMA cables. I'm going to sell them at 2 for $30.00 and I'm going to include the 2 u.fl to RP-SMA wires also. At first, I'll ship only to the US. I'm going to make enough for 10 birds and see how it goes.

Reactions: cbtcmo and yjander
Just set my new personal record. 4,498 feet. Video was still 100% working. I could have kept going, but you know... bay steps. Next goal = 1 mile. Yeah, I know that's not Earth shattering or anything, but I'm still kind of a newb.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    304.4 KB · Views: 424
Just set my new personal record. 4,498 feet. Video was still 100% working. I could have kept going, but you know... bay steps. Next goal = 1 mile. Yeah, I know that's not Earth shattering or anything, but I'm still kind of a newb.
Your almost at one mile now, come on go for two miles. lol Or at least a nice round figure, like 10,000'.(three km). You have a DBS also, correct ?

Your almost at one mile now, come on go for two miles. lol Or at least a nice round figure, like 10,000'.(three km). You have a DBS also, correct ?

Yes. DBS unboosted (for now).

I'll go for 10,000 once it gets nice out. I need to get to an area with no wifi and other interruptions. That nice big lake in my map picture there has an island out in the middle of it with almost no wifi on it, mostly none. I usually go out there every weekend on my boat.

But, yeah. I made that distance quit easily. I'll get a mile under my belt when the wind is a little calmer. I had a 12mph gust to my back and it was making me a little nervous about the return trip. 37mph there, could only hit 20mph on the return.

Reactions: yjander
awesome. I went up to the mountains this weekend and I got 6,900 feet this weekend. My video feed was solid the whole way, but it was my 5.8 transmitter signal that was making RTH. I kept fighting it, but the AC kept turning around to come home. I have ARGtek mod and was using the three flat directional panels. I am really impressed with the video feed, it was clear the whole time turing the RTH.
longest flight.JPG

its so easy, you don't need a kit......you can do it for like 8 bucks.....
Some people just don't have the time or desire to do that themselves, anyway Matts175 needs the $30.

its so easy, you don't need a kit......you can do it for like 8 bucks.....

I know....... It's just I have so many projects going on at home was just going to save time. I'm going to sit in front of a lath and under a wielding helmet this weekend.

I can't see the pictures in post #10 and #11? I'm presuming the cables connect to the board in the gimbal under those two little doors?

This thread is very informative. I have a few questions though. Instead of having the antennae sticking out the sides of the bird, could you make them so they run between the landing gear and would it work the same? Also, when you add the antennae, do you disconnect the stock ones? If you don't would it be beneficial or hurt the reception at all? And if you don't disconnect he stock ones, can you splice into the wires of the stock ones to just add more surface area for the antennas?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This thread is very informative. I have a few questions though. Instead of having the antennae sticking out the sides of the bird, could you make them so they run between the landing gear and would it work the same? Also, when you add the antennae, do you disconnect the stock ones? If you don't would it be beneficial or hurt the reception at all? And if you don't disconnect he stock ones, can you splice into the wires of the stock ones to just add more surface area for the antennas?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
As for placement, I guess you could put them where you want. I like them out away from the bird, and away from anything blocking them. Their not in the way of anything. I've flown a few times with them like this, and they never got in the way. I use a case with my P3S and just unscrew them when packing up, takes like 10 seconds for both.

There's no way to leave the old ones plugged in and still connect the dipole. You could splice them, which would make no sense to me. Not only would it be too much work to keep them, I'm sure it would mess with the wavelength of the antenna.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94