Home point

Reaction score
Hi guys newbie here and just wondering about 'Home Point'.

Since I have had my P3A I have been using my Samsung Note 4 on flight mode.

How do I go about setting and using the home point?

Do I need my phones GPS and Data on and flight mode disabled?

Let me know guys.

Thanks

Last edited:
How do I go about setting and using the home point?
Do I need my phones GPS and Data on and flight mode disabled?
Home point is set automatically before your Phantom gives you the green Ready to Fly GPS message.
i-nbJVsx5-L.jpg

If you are asking about resetting home point ...
i-bFCcbCk-L.jpg

You don't need GPS, data or flight mode on your phone - unless you want to reset home point to the controller's location, for which you will need GPS enabled on your phone or tablet.
Current advice is that this will not continue to update but only changes home to the location when it was reset.

Can you elaborate? Im not getting what your saying I dont think.

I believe this means your original home point remains the same. So, if for example you walk a few hundred feet away from where it lifted off, it will still return to the take off point, not to where you've moved to.

Basically I calibrate everytime before take off.

Status bar on my phone is green and states ready to fly (i think thats what is says or something similar lol) with about normally 15 - 25 GPS and full bars.

From what I understand is my home point is set from the take off position and not the phones GPS as some people say it is, am I correct?

The status indicator in settings (the small dot never has worked and does not show any colours though, but everyhing works fine)

Can you elaborate? I'm not getting what your saying I dont think.
Dynamic home point for the P2 would update every few seconds so it was good for a situation where you were moving in a boat or car etc.
BUT currently it does not work this way for the P3.
You can reset your home point to the current location of the Phantom but it will not continue updating home as the Phantom flies along.
In an RTH situation it would return to where it was when you reset.

From what I understand is my home point is set from the take off position and not the phones GPS as some people say it is, am I correct?
Unless you reset home point, it is the takeoff location - the point where the Phantom acquired it's first GPS fix.
It comes from the GPS receiver in your Phantom and has nothing to do with your phone.

But you can reset home point during the flight to other locations.
And if you choose to set home to the current location of you and your controller, you need to have GPS enabled on your phone or tablet so the Phantom knows where your controller is.
Basically I calibrate everytime before take off.
Do you realise that this is unnecessary and may create problems if you get a bad compass calibration because you do this in an area with steel reinforcing etc?

Reactions: III% Streve
The Dynamic RTH point IS updated every time you tell it to update, and its updated to the location where the GPS enabled tablet is at the moment it is reset. I do it all the time.

The Dynamic RTH point IS updated every time you tell it to update, and its updated to the location where the GPS enabled tablet is at the moment it is reset. I do it all the time.
Yes .. but it's not really dynamic. It doesn't continue to update automatically every two seconds like it does with a P2.

We arent talking about a P2. It Is as dynamic as you choose it to be.
Dynamic means - it moves. And the "dynamic" home point on the P3 isn't dynamic.
It just resets once to the current P3 location.
We aren't talking about the P2 but for anyone used to the real dynamic home point of the P2 it is important to realise that the P3 currently doesn't have a real dynamic homepoint.

Anyone assuming it works the same could be very disappointed trying to use it from a moving boat and assuming it was updating as it goes.

Anyone assuming anything deserves what they get. Your argument is..

Dynamic means - it moves.
But the P3s doesnt "move" it "changes"

So its not dynamic because you say tomato like an Italian? This is a P3 sub-forum. The P3 manual defines it as a dynamic home point. Attempting to change that definition or twist its meaning is the only thing confusing to anyone. Its not a Chevy forum either, so it would be crazy for me to start making references to the dynamic home setting on my GPS in my car wouldn't it?

Thanks for your point of view Steve.

Lots of the members have flown other Phantoms before the P3 arrived and are used to a real Dynamic home point.
That is .. one that changes with the flight of the Phantom.
The P3 did not have dynamic home point until a recent firmware upgrade.
The latest version of the manual has just one brief mention of dynamic home point on P37.
When it appeared many assumed it was the same kind of dynamic home point they were used to - but so far it isn't.
I have heard that DJI are going to get it working properly in the future - but who knows when they might get around to that?

I put the details as succinctly as I could originally to avoid confusion but your continuing to go on about this is messing this up unncessarily.
I won't respond any more.

Unless you reset home point, it is the takeoff location - the point where the Phantom acquired it's first GPS fix.
It comes from the GPS receiver in your Phantom and has nothing to do with your phone.

But you can reset home point during the flight to other locations.
And if you choose to set home to the current location of you and your controller, you need to have GPS enabled on your phone or tablet so the Phantom knows where your controller is.

Do you realise that this is unnecessary and may create problems if you get a bad compass calibration because you do this in an area with steel reinforcing etc?

@Meta4

The reason I calibrate before every use is because I start flying/take off from different locations all the time and have only twice done it from the same location.

So shall I not calibrate it all the time?

This is knowledge I need as I feel kind of stupid calibrating it all the time lol

Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20