Home Made iPad Air Shade

Reaction score
Hi, being a newbie to the drone world, I just want to say that the experienced droners comments are very valuable, thanks.

Before DJI made shades available, I thought I’d make my own shade, which turned out ‘not bad’.

I’m using the iPad Air2 display and I created my own from simple presentation foam board, white duct tape, flat black spray paint and small pieces of glue backed Velcro. In the pictures is the ‘Mark II’ design. I’m planning a Mark III as there are a few refinements that would improve it. A Mark IV design is also planned that will allow you to fold it up to a smaller packed shape. (yes I have too much time on my hands)

The foam board is available at Staples: http://www.staples.ca/en/Elmer-s-Sturdy-Board-Foam-Board-30-x-40-White/product_EPI900510_2-CA_1_20001 (Canadian site)

Total weight: 110 grams or 3.5 ounces. It’s so light you won’t even feel it. All that’s required to make it is the parts, an X-acto type knife and about 20 minutes. Painting the inside with flat black paint is not included in that time of course. One other benefit is that it fits on the RC controller display mount so well it doesn’t affect the ability for the display holder to hold the iPad itself.

I’ll email a CAD design in AutoCad DWG or SKF (autosketch) format) if anyone is interested. Measurements are in millimeters, hope that doesn’t bother most. The simple image design is at the bottom of the post.

The Velcro allows you to unfold the shade and pack it flat. The duct tape re-enforces the folded joints. Cutting the foam board is easy. Some cuts are clean through while others are either on the inside of the shade or the outside. The drawing has all the details.

All that said, the DJI’s prices are pretty good and their products look a bit heavier, but they’ll be a bit more professionally built. I just love the fact that the foam board is super lightweight and works well.
IMG-20150626-01142.jpg
IMG-20150626-01143.jpg
IMG-20150626-01144.jpg
shade design.PNG

Last edited:
Here's the updated PDF design.

Attachments

• Shade for iPad Air.pdf
    124 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Hi Dave I am building this today. Just wondering if you have a measurement for middle cut out. I just need a height measurement.

Thanks for sharing!

I added the vertical measurement to the PDF in the post above. It's 158mm to the bottom of the top cut out.

upload_2015-6-27_9-20-15.png

They also have black foam presentation boards at the Dollar Tree store.

Archy88, I don't have a mini, so if you send me the width of the iPad Mini in millimeters or inches accurate to a1/16th of an inch, I'll modify the CAD drawing and submit one.

Also If anyone wants I can convert the measurements to imperial from metric.

Archy88, I don't have a mini, so if you send me the width of the iPad Mini in millimeters or inches accurate to a1/16th of an inch, I'll modify the CAD drawing and submit one.

thank you very much
200mm x 135mm x 7
7 7/8 x 5 5/16 x 5/16

Yes, please convert to imperial 1/32" precision if you can! Thanks again!!

Here's the iPad Air with Imperial accurate to 1/32". Really the measurements don't need to be that accurate, remember its only a home made shade. A presentation board give you enough board for 2 or 3 shades so you can mess up a few before getting to a 'keeper'. Yes, the board allow comes in black. I just used a white one because that's what I had.

On the power cable hole, you might want to move it up about another 16th".

Attachments

• Shade for iPad Air Imperial Measure.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Reactions: NoOne
Here's the iPad Mini measurements in Imperial. I just reduced the height by 35mm and the width by 40mm, which I'm guessing will work for a iPad Mini.

Attachments

• Shade for iPad Mini Imperial Measure.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Hey Dave could you please post the ipad mini except in metric please? great work thx :)

Attached is the iPad Mini Metric. FYI, on the mini designs, I didn't change the top and sides length, so you may want to cut them back a bit so it doesn't look like you're looking down a tunnel.

Attachments

• Shade for iPad Mini Metric Measure.pdf
    123.2 KB · Views: 296
Thanks for the new measurement Dave. I hope to finish working on mine later this week as I have been very busy. I sure like working with metric over imperial, so much easier.....just saying!

I made one myself. Just sorta winged it. I actually ordered one on eBay but it's coming from over seas and I needed something quick to get me by this weekend for a video shoot I'll be doing at the beach..

2015-06-29 08.47.39.jpg

Thank you very much for the mini plans. Hopefully with throw this together before my trip. Kudos!

Dave I sure admire your patience.
This is a fine shade. Only thing...when made of this materiel, it can't be folded.
Also...seems to me that the cut out for the holder should be made from the back with the skin left on the inside.
Well, Thanks again. If you devise one that can be folded...please post it.
HD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl