Holy S%!&!!

Reaction score
First let me say,I didn't set up my Litchi mission to record! I can't believe it but I don't have video but I'm dying to know if this has happened to anyone else here. I'm hooked on Litchi GS and I've been running missions like crazy for a week or so. Earlier today I designed a mission locally in an area I'm extremely familiar with. I had the altitude set to 98ft and, although close to a couple of trees, I know it clears. The majority of the mission heads downhill.

The mission was set to take 9min17sec @ 20mph and extend less than a mile from my position. It's over two golf courses and concludes flight over few expensive homes, the Equinox Hotel, and a church. I hadn't flown it yet, but I am confident in my P3A and Litchi, I have no reason not to be. For 6+ minutes I watched the bird and my live feed as it flew(still with astonishment at this Litchi app), when on the return loop (at the furthest point from me) the video started to shutter and skip then blank. No big deal. After about 5 seconds I see a single frame of video. It looked like a tree maybe 100ft ahead, hard to tell how high it was. I was sure I had set enough altitude, I know all of these trees.... Then. Totally blank, the female voice telling me I had lost signal. I had been testing the Litchi app and I know it continues the mission even once the signal is lost. So I held the TX up high in the air and slowly walked toward the line I expected to see the bird emerge from in less than a minute or two. Nothing. Checked my watch. Should see it any second now. Nothing. I've never had much luck with Litchi or DJI regaining signal once lost so I restarted the app. Nothing. I hadn't quite entered full panic yet because I knew there were no people around my flight path, it's 15 degrees and they're old, they're not outside. Worst case, as I said before, I get what I deserve, a busted up Phantom. I waited plenty long enough to see my Phantom and when I didn't, controller in hand, I got in my truck and headed to the last place I had confirmed video. About a 10th of a mile up the road at the stop sign, the screen flickered and Litchi started beeping. "RETURN HOME" she said. The feed showed the bird still rising on it's way back up to 98ft, then high-tailing its way toward the golf course I just left. I made a U-turn and arrived just in time to see my P3A attempting to land where it had launched from.. I flip the switch, take control and land manually.

Several minutes are unaccounted for. The props all have brown markings, presumably from tree branches. The battery had dropped 10% from time I lost contact until I regained it. I checked my logs and see that there are two separate flights logged for today. The total flight time of the two missions is 9min40sec but the total time the bird was "in flight" was just over 12min.

I can only presume that I struck a tree and plummeted but the P3A righted itself before hitting the ground, hovering there until I drove close enough to regain connection at which point it headed back to the home point. What I don't understand is why didn't it return home immediately after recovering and does the it usually start a new log every time it loses connection?

I'm so lucky.

If the app lost connection with the bird, all bets are off. Video signal is one thing, control signal is another.
Remember to press RTH on the controller. If video signal (and signal from app to bird) is lost, but R/C control is still present, the Phantom can do unexpected things. Like just hover waiting for a command. Or descend if you mess with the sticks. Once signal from the R/C is lost, then it will RTH automatically.

That's the thing, I lost controller signal the same time I lost video signal...presumably when I hit the tree. It didn't initiate return home until I drove towards it, about 3 minutes later.

RC loss for more than 3 seconds equals RTH if that's what you have set. It would have went up to your RTH height turned to Home then started back (might be other way around, turn then up then back), anyway there wouldn't be a stop until RC signal was regained, just doesn't work that way.

The latest in a string of mysterious Phantom alien abductions.... o_O

First let me say,I didn't set up my Litchi mission to record! I can't believe it but I don't have video but I'm dying to know if this has happened to anyone else here. I'm hooked on Litchi GS and I've been running missions like crazy for a week or so. Earlier today I designed a mission locally in an area I'm extremely familiar with. I had the altitude set to 98ft and, although close to a couple of trees, I know it clears. The majority of the mission heads downhill.

The mission was set to take 9min17sec @ 20mph and extend less than a mile from my position. It's over two golf courses and concludes flight over few expensive homes, the Equinox Hotel, and a church. I hadn't flown it yet, but I am confident in my P3A and Litchi, I have no reason not to be. For 6+ minutes I watched the bird and my live feed as it flew(still with astonishment at this Litchi app), when on the return loop (at the furthest point from me) the video started to shutter and skip then blank. No big deal. After about 5 seconds I see a single frame of video. It looked like a tree maybe 100ft ahead, hard to tell how high it was. I was sure I had set enough altitude, I know all of these trees.... Then. Totally blank, the female voice telling me I had lost signal. I had been testing the Litchi app and I know it continues the mission even once the signal is lost. So I held the TX up high in the air and slowly walked toward the line I expected to see the bird emerge from in less than a minute or two. Nothing. Checked my watch. Should see it any second now. Nothing. I've never had much luck with Litchi or DJI regaining signal once lost so I restarted the app. Nothing. I hadn't quite entered full panic yet because I knew there were no people around my flight path, it's 15 degrees and they're old, they're not outside. Worst case, as I said before, I get what I deserve, a busted up Phantom. I waited plenty long enough to see my Phantom and when I didn't, controller in hand, I got in my truck and headed to the last place I had confirmed video. About a 10th of a mile up the road at the stop sign, the screen flickered and Litchi started beeping. "RETURN HOME" she said. The feed showed the bird still rising on it's way back up to 98ft, then high-tailing its way toward the golf course I just left. I made a U-turn and arrived just in time to see my P3A attempting to land where it had launched from.. I flip the switch, take control and land manually.

Several minutes are unaccounted for. The props all have brown markings, presumably from tree branches. The battery had dropped 10% from time I lost contact until I regained it. I checked my logs and see that there are two separate flights logged for today. The total flight time of the two missions is 9min40sec but the total time the bird was "in flight" was just over 12min.

I can only presume that I struck a tree and plummeted but the P3A righted itself before hitting the ground, hovering there until I drove close enough to regain connection at which point it headed back to the home point. What I don't understand is why didn't it return home immediately after recovering and does the it usually start a new log every time it loses connection?

I'm so lucky.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
You never ever have to make close calls to anything as far as altitude is concerned. At 98', I wouldn't be comfortable enough at all. Unless you know the real height of everything you fly over, which is impossible, you almost always have to pad your altitude. In my mission video I'm at 154' altitude. I know it clears everything in this park because like you, I've flown the hell out of it manually. But even at 154' up, look at how close everything appears because of the camera's fov. I'm guessing most things under the phantom here are around 80' tops, including the light poles. At almost double the height for a pad, notice how the phantom looks like it's flying almost right over them? Field of view- tight for the phantom camera. You can use it to your advantage. Add height, it won't hurt your fly-by shots at all and it'll save this near catastrophe, which btw is stunning that it made it back and glad for you that it did. How, I'd LOVE to know! Are you sure there wasn't a female phantom out there and yours made a, um, pit stop for a few ;)

Height is might, even for fly by's-

That's the thing, I lost controller signal the same time I lost video signal...presumably when I hit the tree. It didn't initiate return home until I drove towards it, about 3 minutes later.

I wonder if it got hooked in the tree for three minutes before it cut itself loose or broke free?

I assume you've got your Litchi app set so that it goes into RTH when the flight is done? I'm wondering what Litchi does if it hits the low-fuel during the mission. Does it just keep flying the route or doe it initiate RTH?

S

Absolute shame no video, although using our imagination is fun! You should consider writing Phantom short stories/mysteries. Oh, BTW, when my bird comes home late with dirty wings, well, she's got some explaining to do. Great story, glad it ended well.

Reactions: MattM123
So I analyzed the HealthyDrones data the best I can, I just started using it. Under sensors it shows some data and locations points on the map. They are logged every 30 seconds. There are 3 points on top of each other (~1.5 minutes) exactly where I lost signal and where the logged flight inevitably ended and began anew. It had dropped from 98ft to 94ft and stayed there for the 1.5 minutes or so. The 2nd logged flight begins at 126ft. Now it makes sense why I saw it rising when the video came back. It was on it's way to 200ft for RTH. It must have been stuck in the tree. There is no other explanation for why it stayed there for 1.5 minutes. I now have a more personal connection to my Phantom than I did before. I'm in love. It's like a lost dog that finds its way home. Lesson learned about cutting the altitude too close. I just can't believe I didn't record the flight.

Yes, cherish that drone- it's a keeper. I can only figure a branch snared it and held it for a while, like someone just holding onto a leg while it's hovering. Where you got lucky is that when RTH kicked in it probably lifted straight up and broke free and probably sliced a few twigs getting out for good measure. Very amazing indeed. That has to be the one out of ten chances it survives. When a drone is that faithful, or has that kinda luck on it, it's a keeper. Take extra good care of it though. These things aren't supermen. Straighten up and fly right. Hey that's a good song title, I think I'll write a lyric.

I've sent mine on missions where i have full loss of video and control signals for 7+ min. I always check topographic maps and account for trees, water towers and radio towers.

If the app lost connection with the bird, all bets are off. Video signal is one thing, control signal is another.
Remember to press RTH on the controller. If video signal (and signal from app to bird) is lost, but R/C control is still present, the Phantom can do unexpected things. Like just hover waiting for a command. Or descend if you mess with the sticks. Once signal from the R/C is lost, then it will RTH automatically.

Not with Litchi. You could turn off the controller and it would (should) continue to complete the mission.

Not with Litchi. You could turn off the controller and it would (should) continue to complete the mission.

Exactly, that's one of the huge benefits. I've done it several times. The more time that has past the more I think it must have been caught in the tree long enough to basically abort mission and consequently initiate RTH. Otherwise just getting knocked off course wouldn't have been enough I wouldn't think.

To answer your log question, yes, the Litch log ends when it completely loses the FPV/telemetry connection. Then it starts a new log when it reconnects.

Glad you got your Phantom back. The out of sight GS missions are risky but thrilling! You're sitting there waiting and hoping and your heart is pounding and your hands are shaking and you're wondering what is taking so long. Where is it??? And then it appears over the tree tops.

What I love about my flytrex Live 3G is that it never loses connection, regardless of how far or how low you go. You can even track it live after you lose FPV by going to flytrex.com or loading your flytrex app. Flytrex also has its own log. But my understanding is it's not quite fully compatible with the P3 at this time.

I wish you had Flytrex 3G live on there. You could've seen your flight path on Google Earth files and seen it actually fall and then rise and then return .all the mysteries would've been easier to piece together

To answer your log question, yes, the Litch log ends when it completely loses the FPV/telemetry connection. Then it starts a new log when it reconnects.

Glad you got your Phantom back. The out of sight GS missions are risky but thrilling! You're sitting there waiting and hoping and your heart is pounding and your hands are shaking and you're wondering what is taking so long. Where is it??? And then it appears over the tree tops.

What I love about my flytrex Live 3G is that it never loses connection.........
I wish you had Flytrex 3G live on there. You could've seen your flight path on Google Earth files and seen it actually fall and then rise and then return .all the mysteries would've been easier to piece together
Hadn't heard of Flytrex before. You guys would say it's worth the price then? Do you guys use it to track live in a second device or just use it afterwards/if you need to?

I do know if litchi loses connection and regains it, there will be another log.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Is Flytrex worth the price? I think it's a judgment call depending on your opinions. Do you like knowing you can track your phantom - live - even when you've lost all connection? Do you like seeing a map of your flight auto-saved on a google earth map accompanied with a super-smooth csv log? Do you like that if you crash your phantom, you'll likely find it - and if the phantom can't be fixed you can install the flytrex device on the new Phantom? Do you like having a KML log of your flight which you can load onto google earth and see your flight path in a 3-D perspective? Are all these things worth the money to you?

Again - it seems Flytrex is not quite fully compatible with the P3. Also, do your research because some say Flytrex has issues with customer service.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik