Holy S%!&!!

First let me say,I didn't set up my Litchi mission to record! I can't believe it but I don't have video but I'm dying to know if this has happened to anyone else here. I'm hooked on Litchi GS and I've been running missions like crazy for a week or so. Earlier today I designed a mission locally in an area I'm extremely familiar with. I had the altitude set to 98ft and, although close to a couple of trees, I know it clears. The majority of the mission heads downhill.

The mission was set to take 9min17sec @ 20mph and extend less than a mile from my position. It's over two golf courses and concludes flight over few expensive homes, the Equinox Hotel, and a church. I hadn't flown it yet, but I am confident in my P3A and Litchi, I have no reason not to be. For 6+ minutes I watched the bird and my live feed as it flew(still with astonishment at this Litchi app), when on the return loop (at the furthest point from me) the video started to shutter and skip then blank. No big deal. After about 5 seconds I see a single frame of video. It looked like a tree maybe 100ft ahead, hard to tell how high it was. I was sure I had set enough altitude, I know all of these trees.... Then. Totally blank, the female voice telling me I had lost signal. I had been testing the Litchi app and I know it continues the mission even once the signal is lost. So I held the TX up high in the air and slowly walked toward the line I expected to see the bird emerge from in less than a minute or two. Nothing. Checked my watch. Should see it any second now. Nothing. I've never had much luck with Litchi or DJI regaining signal once lost so I restarted the app. Nothing. I hadn't quite entered full panic yet because I knew there were no people around my flight path, it's 15 degrees and they're old, they're not outside. Worst case, as I said before, I get what I deserve, a busted up Phantom. I waited plenty long enough to see my Phantom and when I didn't, controller in hand, I got in my truck and headed to the last place I had confirmed video. About a 10th of a mile up the road at the stop sign, the screen flickered and Litchi started beeping. "RETURN HOME" she said. The feed showed the bird still rising on it's way back up to 98ft, then high-tailing its way toward the golf course I just left. I made a U-turn and arrived just in time to see my P3A attempting to land where it had launched from.. I flip the switch, take control and land manually.

Several minutes are unaccounted for. The props all have brown markings, presumably from tree branches. The battery had dropped 10% from time I lost contact until I regained it. I checked my logs and see that there are two separate flights logged for today. The total flight time of the two missions is 9min40sec but the total time the bird was "in flight" was just over 12min.

I can only presume that I struck a tree and plummeted but the P3A righted itself before hitting the ground, hovering there until I drove close enough to regain connection at which point it headed back to the home point. What I don't understand is why didn't it return home immediately after recovering and does the it usually start a new log every time it loses connection?

I'm so lucky.
Thanks for posting what will occur to many here as a rather gripping little drama -- with an unexpectedly happy ending. It's a tribute to the P3 and I enjoyed it.

Lucky? Oh, boy!

First let me say,I didn't set up my Litchi mission to record! I can't believe it but I don't have video but I'm dying to know if this has happened to anyone else here. I'm hooked on Litchi GS and I've been running missions like crazy for a week or so. Earlier today I designed a mission locally in an area I'm extremely familiar with. I had the altitude set to 98ft and, although close to a couple of trees, I know it clears. The majority of the mission heads downhill.

The mission was set to take 9min17sec @ 20mph and extend less than a mile from my position. It's over two golf courses and concludes flight over few expensive homes, the Equinox Hotel, and a church. I hadn't flown it yet, but I am confident in my P3A and Litchi, I have no reason not to be. For 6+ minutes I watched the bird and my live feed as it flew(still with astonishment at this Litchi app), when on the return loop (at the furthest point from me) the video started to shutter and skip then blank. No big deal. After about 5 seconds I see a single frame of video. It looked like a tree maybe 100ft ahead, hard to tell how high it was. I was sure I had set enough altitude, I know all of these trees.... Then. Totally blank, the female voice telling me I had lost signal. I had been testing the Litchi app and I know it continues the mission even once the signal is lost. So I held the TX up high in the air and slowly walked toward the line I expected to see the bird emerge from in less than a minute or two. Nothing. Checked my watch. Should see it any second now. Nothing. I've never had much luck with Litchi or DJI regaining signal once lost so I restarted the app. Nothing. I hadn't quite entered full panic yet because I knew there were no people around my flight path, it's 15 degrees and they're old, they're not outside. Worst case, as I said before, I get what I deserve, a busted up Phantom. I waited plenty long enough to see my Phantom and when I didn't, controller in hand, I got in my truck and headed to the last place I had confirmed video. About a 10th of a mile up the road at the stop sign, the screen flickered and Litchi started beeping. "RETURN HOME" she said. The feed showed the bird still rising on it's way back up to 98ft, then high-tailing its way toward the golf course I just left. I made a U-turn and arrived just in time to see my P3A attempting to land where it had launched from.. I flip the switch, take control and land manually.

Several minutes are unaccounted for. The props all have brown markings, presumably from tree branches. The battery had dropped 10% from time I lost contact until I regained it. I checked my logs and see that there are two separate flights logged for today. The total flight time of the two missions is 9min40sec but the total time the bird was "in flight" was just over 12min.

I can only presume that I struck a tree and plummeted but the P3A righted itself before hitting the ground, hovering there until I drove close enough to regain connection at which point it headed back to the home point. What I don't understand is why didn't it return home immediately after recovering and does the it usually start a new log every time it loses connection?

I'm so lucky.
That sure does sound lucky. I encountered something similar here with the Litchi App, a great tool. I had set a height of 220 feet to clear trees over my course, but about halfway into it, I started to see trees on each side that were a few feet higher than the P3 Advanced. Then, it started to pass trees on each side were five or more feet higher. I saw a blur of branches, and that was all she wrote. The good news was that the Litchi App told me exactly where she went down. Within 15 minutes, I tracked down the crash location, and found the two broken prop blades, the ejected battery, and the Phantom. What a relief to know where it went down. The drone was mostly undamaged except for the props. It went down in an area of soft forest duff on the ground and landed pretty softly. Phew! I did get video, too, which was real interesting to watch. It's up on YouTube.

Last edited:
Opinions will vary but to me the Flytrex Live 3G is definitely worth the price & it's the ONLY tracking solution I use. Marknmd mentioned some of the benefits & features, but the biggest question is, "Does the Flytrex allow you to recover your Phantom?" So far the Flytrex has allowed me to recover my Phantom THREE TIMES! Using the app I was able to walk directly to spot where the aircraft had landed. The first recovery was in deep woods. I couldn't actually see the Phantom, but the Flytrex data indicated its last known position was 100' high. Sure enough, after scouring canopy with binoculars, I saw her nestled high among the branches. Nothing a chainsaw couldn't solve... :cool:

Flytrex is certainly NOT the cheapest tracking solution but I know it works. To me that's what matters...

Hadn't heard of Flytrex before. You guys would say it's worth the price then? Do you guys use it to track live in a second device or just use it afterwards/if you need to?

That would have been great to have a video of, I guess just a mistake not starting a video or by choice? Also 98ft isn't that high, specially over non flat terrain and tree's present.

Glad you got it back in one piece!

Great story and good news that you got your bird home. It shows how good this technology can be.

I'm guessing from your story that estimating tree heights is somewhat of an inexact science. For UK flyers, here's some info I've dug up on Google that might help avoid similar problems.

The average tree height here in the UK is just 65 feet but the largest tree, a Douglas fir in Scotland, has been measured at 217 feet. That is also considered the tallest tree in Europe. The largest indigenous tree in Britain, a beech, has been measured at 144 feet.

So when planning missions here in England over woodland or where large trees are obvious then perhaps 45m should be considered the safe height for initial / reconasence flights, especially autonomous flights. Subsequent flights could then be relaxed once the terrain has been mapped and visuals established.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Monte Olsen
You can use healthydrones to export your flight log as a file that Google earth can use (look on the overview page and you'll see the option to download as a kml file, then just use Google earth to open it). Maybe that will add something to your idea of what happened.

Reactions: jiggyb21

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj