Highdesert needs some help with a P4P Plus...

Reaction score
hello all, I purchased a DJI P4P plus looks good no scratches or signs of abuse or hard landings. the controller syncs up well to the aircraft, but i can't get past this error that says COMPASS CALIBRATION REQUIRED...INTERFERENCE OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. i have never even got the engines started as i tried to ensure i have the latest firmware on controller and the aircraft. if anyone knowledgeable can take on a project to assist me through this quagmire i am willing to pay for your time.
i downloaded DJI GO 4 from the DJI website onto a microcard and then downloaded onto the controller. not sure if i have the same version on the aircraft, as i'm not sure how to get that visibility. and...if firmware is good on both, i woudl assume there's a COMPASS problem on the aircraft? thanks in advance for any assistance! highdesert

i can't get past this error that says COMPASS CALIBRATION REQUIRED...INTERFERENCE OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.
i woudl assume there's a COMPASS problem on the aircraft?
1st. In case you haven't found it, here's the manual for your drone:

You don't say whether you have attempted to calibrate the compass.
If you have and it won't calibrate, the usual cause is a disconnected compass sensor in one of the legs.
You can confirm whether this is the issue by going to the Sensors section in the app settings to see what it shows.
i-BqF4GxZ-M.png

If one is disconnected, it can be very fiddly to replace.
The best solution is to go to someone that repairs drones and get new landing gear fitted (the compass is part of the landing gear.

i downloaded DJI GO 4 from the DJI website onto a microcard and then downloaded onto the controller. not sure if i have the same version on the aircraft, as i'm not sure how to get that visibility. and...if firmware is good on both,
DJI Go 4 is only on the controller, it is not in the drone.
If you touch the 3 dots icon on the bottom of the creeen shown above, that shows you the firmware versions.

You also need to tell us how close you are to an airport. The P4P has geofencing that won't even let the motors start if you are within a mile of a Class C airport.

Firmware was probably not an issue that required any action.
Updates are not mandatory.
Some history on the aircraft and your location would be helpful.
The “microcard” I’m not understanding. The Go4 app would have already been on the controller. Updates for both aircraft and controller can be done via WiFi.

Or maybe just calibrate the compass (the manual) but do that in an open area with no metal or magnets around. You should be at least 10 m (more is better) apart from a car.

Reactions: Capt KO
It’s the easiest calibration you can do. Often needs to be done when the drone goes to a new location. As stated, just do it in a wide open area away from any interference. Good luck have fun.

The people on this forum are more than happy to help and like to see you enjoy your Phantom as much as we do. No need to compensate, just ask away. Good luck and hope all goes well. Let us know though if it all works out for you.

Thanks to ALL the good folks with great advice for responding!

1. When checking settings, Sensors, IMU calibration is good, although I went through that step as well, moving the a/c around as the calibration directions called for. When I selected the COMPASS tab, it says: COMPASS DISCONNECTED. So, I selected the Calibrate Compass tab, and it just goes back to the Go Fly desktop, with the same error message: Compass needs to be calibrated...

2. I've tried it in an open field around my location, I'm real rural, closest airport about 30 miles, I am in mountains, about 6k feet altitude. When i tried the IMU calibration first time, before the step was completed, I could select compass and it showed to have some green bars, but will only allow the IMU green bars, showing acceptable level of interference most of the time.

3. I took the landing gear tab off to see if the compass wiring was connected: appears to be factory condition, and appears this was first time tab was removed, so looks ok there...

4. Visual & GPS doesn't seem to be normal (visual RED), GPS white, but hardly no signal.

5. WOULD IT HELP TO DUMP ALL FIRMWARE ON BOTH CONTROLLER & A/C, AND REINSTALL? If so, whats the BEST way to do that??

Sorry to be such a bother here, but I'm just real anxious to get this $2500 gizmo flying...! THANKS

1. When checking settings, Sensors, IMU calibration is good, although I went through that step as well, moving the a/c around as the calibration directions called for. When I selected the COMPASS tab, it says: COMPASS DISCONNECTED. So, I selected the Calibrate Compass tab, and it just goes back to the Go Fly desktop, with the same error message: Compass needs to be calibrated...
If the compass is disconnected, it will always have the message suggesting recalibration is needed.
Recalibration will not fix the problem.
See what I said in post #2 above

2. I've tried it in an open field around my location, I'm real rural, closest airport about 30 miles, I am in mountains, about 6k feet altitude. When i tried the IMU calibration first time, before the step was completed, I could select compass and it showed to have some green bars, but will only allow the IMU green bars, showing acceptable level of interference most of the time.
This is confusing
Where did you attempt IMU calibration?
It should be done on a perfectly flat surface and indoors is just fine.
The IMU is completely separate from the compass.
3. I took the landing gear tab off to see if the compass wiring was connected: appears to be factory condition, and appears this was first time tab was removed, so looks ok there...
If the app settings show disconnected, one of the compass sensors is disconnected.
You won't see it by pulling off one of the tab.
5. WOULD IT HELP TO DUMP ALL FIRMWARE ON BOTH CONTROLLER & A/C, AND REINSTALL? If so, whats the BEST way to do that??
Messing with firmware probably wont make any difference at all.
It’s the easiest calibration you can do. Often needs to be done when the drone goes to a new location.
There's never any need to recalibrate the Phantom's compass because of travelling any distance

Reactions: Lenj
This thread is all over the place

Can the Highdesert post a photo of his sensor status page in DJI Go4.
This is the same page that Meta 4 included in post no.2 , we need to see the error messages and to see which compass is disconnected (1 or 2)

Sorry for all the info. Please see pics that shows BOTH compasses Disconnected...also see error message. THANKS!
IMG_6441.jpg
IMG_6444.jpg
IMG_6445.jpg
IMG_6447.jpg

Yes, we believe you. As being said the compass needs to be repaired as it is obviously a mechanical problem here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20