High wind flying

Frank... you need to come to australia so we can fly and you can teach me how its done :)
BTW one question I'm sure you will know... does flytrex have its own sensors or does it get it data from the phantom ??
I know it splices into the GPS... so it uses that info ?? But where does it get its info from ??

Oh yeah.. if you can cruise along at 62mph and get 77 with a 15mph wind.... why do you say a 30mph wind would be impossible ??
wouldn't you still be cruising along at 32mph in a 30mph wind ?? (62-30 = 32) ???

Those are my last questions on the subject... going to go back to enjoying flying :) Might even get the 2.1 ESC from helipal very soon.... new motors just sitting collecting dust!

*edit* just bought some 2.1 ESC from USA.. should get here in a week... yeeehaw :)

justin00 said:
Frank... you need to come to australia so we can fly and you can teach me how its done :)
BTW one question I'm sure you will know... does flytrex have its own sensors or does it get it data from the phantom ??
I know it splices into the GPS... so it uses that info ?? But where does it get its info from ??

Oh yeah.. if you can cruise along at 62mph and get 77 with a 15mph wind.... why do you say a 30mph wind would be impossible ??
wouldn't you still be cruising along at 32mph in a 30mph wind ?? (62-30 = 32) ???

Those are my last questions on the subject... going to go back to enjoying flying :) Might even get the 2.1 ESC from helipal very soon.... new motors just sitting collecting dust!

*edit* just bought some 2.1 ESC from USA.. should get here in a week... yeeehaw :)

You send me a ticket and I promise I will come. The data comes from both the quad and flytrex device. There is also way more data available then what you have seen available as well.

It took a 21mph tailwind to reach 77mph. If I was flying at 45mph into a 30mph head, it will not then become a 15mph speed. The size of the quad itself is going to restrict air.

flyNfrank said:
It took a 21mph tailwind to reach 77mph. If I was flying at 45mph into a 30mph head, it will not then become a 15mph speed. The size of the quad itself is going to restrict air.

Sorry Frank, but that doesn't make sense. Your comment earlier in the thread about zig zagging to go against the wind doesn't make any sense either. We air discussing aircraft, not boats. What matters is the angle of attack of the copter and the air speed around it. This is it's frame of reference. If the copter is being pushed along at 15 mph in a steady 15 mph wind then with respect to its frame of reference it is stationary. It has no idea it's moving with respect to the ground. It can then tilt in any direction and fly and it's relative speed will simply add to the wind speed to get the ground speed. Doesn't matter with the wind or against it will be simple addition. What I am not sure about is how the phantom uses any GPS info (i.e. ground speed) to adjust it's angle of attack, even when in ATTI mode. Theoretically it could do this. *if someone knowledgeable knows the details about this please enlighten us* But if it doesn't, then in ATTI mode full forward stick will put the quad into the max tilt angle allowed and supply as much motor trust needed to maintain altitude. This is my understanding. Again, GPS mode may be a different story as it seem to have some speed limiting behavior (but then again it might be that the only difference is the angle of attack allowed in GPS mode is shallower, which I do know is true)

I don't understand where you are confused at. Just so you know, the discussion we have done only pertains to atti mode. Yes atti mode functions just as you suspected. It has a set pitch angle and a limit of speed. When flying into the wind, it has a setting that causes the quad to loose altitude when in a struggle situation. So if you are say having a hard time gaining any distance due to what the quad see's as a wall of wind, rather then flying at full speed and only traveling a few mph, it will slowly begin to descend even though you are still at full throttle. As soon as you lift from being full throttle, the quad will then begin returning to the same altitude you began at before the struggle. So what I have experienced in less then 30mph direct wind was a situation where all I did until the wind slowed down enough to fly forward was basically - fly/loose altitude/ change direction so quad can regain altitude before coming in contact with ground/ and then start the same battle all over again.

And what is it about zig zagging that you have a problem with? You speak as though it's not possible? If you look at the flight path as a clock, and based on that if you are unable to gain any forward movement while flying at 12 o'clock, it is possible to fly either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock and make some forward movement. If you can't get anywhere at 10 or 2 then you need to change your flight direction altogether, or land the quad.

Have you had the chance to fly directly into a 30mph sustained wind in atti mode?

Ok I think I finally get what you are trying to say. It's not that you cannot make any forward progress into the wind, it's that you lose altitude in the process, and ultimately you reach the ground before you're able to get to your desired destination. Just the same as flying full throttle in ATTI in zero wind conditions... You eventually will reach the ground.

It never fails..... There is always at least one "Delta Bravo" or douche bag that needs to give his opinion on others posts and barf up piles of his own self-professed knowledge. Congrats to Frank! Were you there Frank? Maybe he did get the wind speed incorrect or.... maybe he's just a better operator than you, maybe 11.1 VDC at his house is really 12.1 VDC, and yes, real grits may cook faster on his stove than any other stove in the rest of the grit eatin' world. I have spent 12 years as a regional pilot for the second largest airline in the world and have a little knowledge about airplane "stuff", but don't tell people they are wrong, I just listen. For most of us, this is a just a fun hobby and like to read helpful posts. Not the who-gives-a-s#%t posts. Get out of dem sweat pants and get yourself to the bar and meet yourself a pretty lady.

croakersoaker said:
It never fails..... There is always at least one "Delta Bravo" or douche bag that needs to give his opinion on others posts and barf up piles of his own self-professed knowledge. Congrats to Frank! Were you there Frank? Maybe he did get the wind speed incorrect or.... maybe he's just a better operator than you, maybe 11.1 VDC at his house is really 12.1 VDC, and yes, real grits may cook faster on his stove than any other stove in the rest of the grit eatin' world. I have spent 12 years as a regional pilot for the second largest airline in the world and have a little knowledge about airplane "stuff", but don't tell people they are wrong, I just listen. For most of us, this is a just a fun hobby and like to read helpful posts. Not the who-gives-a-s#%t posts. Get out of dem sweat pants and get yourself to the bar and meet yourself a pretty lady.

chillpill time ?? :D

croakersoaker said:

lol.. whos that directed at?

Made a new acct to post up?

Not sure what happening the posting. But I was able find a video of a flight I made where I dealt with a 1 minute or so gust of wind that showed it being 22mph. The flight was a top speed pass I was attempting knowing the gust I was after was near the time when it should come. See my weather station hardware logs the wind speed and marks it by the time of day that it is when it happens. Now, the crazy thing is, the large gust of wind happens every 50 - 60 minutes. And it actually happens like clock work. As you can see in the video I missed the gust of wind I was going after by 1 attempt. Anyway, in the video I start the pass and shortly after I abort it because I knew it was not gaining the speed needed in order for me to set a new personal record.

Now, Justin00 and I have been talking about only flying in atti mode and no flying in gps mode. I'm saying this here because the video I have is only in atti at the time I took of on the attempt pass. After that pass everything seen is actually in gps mode. The video is around 3:40 long. The head was recorded at 22mph. Full Throttle....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPaQIgs-0TM[/youtube]

Hmm maybe thst explains... 22mph on the groubd coukd be god knows what wind is at at 200ft... maybe 30mph+ right?

To be honest 30mph wind wpuld have this done and dusted lol... I believe 30mph wind + 47mph quad is 100% plausiable.

frank I am guess ypu weather app only tells you gusts on the grpund? As we all no could bd anything higher you get??

justin00 said:
Hmm maybe thst explains... 22mph on the groubd coukd be god knows what wind is at at 200ft... maybe 30mph+ right?

To be honest 30mph wind wpuld have this done and dusted lol... I believe 30mph wind + 47mph quad is 100% plausiable.

frank I am guess ypu weather app only tells you gusts on the grpund? As we all no could bd anything higher you get??

The weather station tell me the wind speed just above my chimney on my house. I consider it as ground wind. Unless you have something blocking or disrupting wind, a gust of wind is just that,...a gust of wind.

I looked it up and the phantom can handle up to 35mph winds no problem

Now I will say this I managed to get my non plus vision up to 55mph one flight(in atti mode) with a tailwind(not sure what the wind speed was during that flight)

I have yet to fly in wind with my vision plus YET

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj