High wind flying

justin00 said:
I'm still not following though.. lol.. Phantom only goes like ~35mph right? Thus 45 = 10mph wind, gust, whatever... 55mph = 20mph.. right?

Am I missing some vital piece of the puzzle?
Phantom only goes like ~35mph right?
Right - if you're in Phantom mode - but in Atti it will go faster than that

ThrottleUpGertrude said:
flyNfrank said:
I have flown in high winds a lot for the last 6 months, and nobody is going to fly in 30mph with a phantom. It is absolutely impossible to fly directly into that wind speed.

This is patently false and not helpful. You really should educate yourself before posting.

maybe in GPS out the box mode 30mph is not achievable ( I really don't know? ) but I suspect in manual you can hit 30mph without much trouble??

Sure about that?
Mine pretty much flat lines at around 35mph on 0 wind days in ATTI.... what is the max speed in 0 wind?

Isnt that why Frank is saying flying INTO 30mph wind is going to be some what of a challenge?? If phantom can do 50mph without tail wind dor example, then it should still be able to go hooning across the skies at 20mph in a 30mph headwind...?

Btw just to confirm when I say phantom i just mean the device, not refering to phantom mode or anything.

Meta4 said:
justin00 said:
I'm still not following though.. lol.. Phantom only goes like ~35mph right? Thus 45 = 10mph wind, gust, whatever... 55mph = 20mph.. right?

Am I missing some vital piece of the puzzle?
Phantom only goes like ~35mph right?
Right - if you're in Phantom mode - but in Atti it will go faster than that

Was doing some testing tonight.. was quite gusty..
Anywyays very odd.. was in Atti mode with a tail wind... got to exactly 40.x mph and it would not go any faster.. it was like something was holding it back..
Did another test, with tail wind, got to 50mph... exact same flight path as first go.. Don't think there was a 10mph gust...
When it did 40.x mph it looked like it was trying but could not go faster.. then 50mph... just odd its 40 and 50.. as oposed to like 43 and 57 or something etc etc...

Any idea s ? Or its just very very gusty and 50ft... (doubt it) Like I no there are strong winds higher up.. but 50ft is fairly low.. surely I would of felt abit of the wind.. which I didn't during 50mph run.

justin00 said:
Was doing some testing tonight.. was quite gusty..
Anywyays very odd.. was in Atti mode with a tail wind... got to exactly 40.x mph and it would not go any faster.. it was like something was holding it back..
Did another test, with tail wind, got to 50mph... exact same flight path as first go.. Don't think there was a 10mph gust...
When it did 40.x mph it looked like it was trying but could not go faster.. then 50mph... just odd its 40 and 50.. as oposed to like 43 and 57 or something etc etc...

Any idea s ? Or its just very very gusty and 50ft... (doubt it) Like I no there are strong winds higher up.. but 50ft is fairly low.. surely I would of felt abit of the wind.. which I didn't during 50mph run.

50ft..... You don't have any tree's around where you fly? We have some 120ft tree's around my area. You have to fky with caution when flying wide open in Atti Mode. The quad will start loosing altitude and fly at a downward angle. You will want to glance at the altitude reading on the telemetry. If you release the lever some it will begin to regain the altitude it lost. Btw, this is also the very reason why flying into a 30mph sustained wind speed is impossible. See it takes Atti mode to even consider surviving those conditions. The quad looses altitude as mentioned, and then when you release the lever to regain altitude before hitting the ground, of coarse the strong wind then blows you backwards and it's like you're starting all over again.

Yeah it was an open area just before the sand/beach.
absolutely nothing around in the huge are..

and yeah 30mph sustained wind could be an issue... I imagine it would crawl back at 4-5mph if it even does...

Anyways any ideas as to my results ? Kind of bizzare its 40.x and 50.x mph... maybe it is just the wind and its a coincidence.

justin00 said:
Anyways any ideas as to my results ? Kind of bizzare its 40.x and 50.x mph... maybe it is just the wind and its a coincidence.

Yeah I have a pretty good idea why your results were so different. But 1st I'll respond to your questioned based on how the wind is where I fly. I'm sure there are those out there that probably think that wind is wind and it is no different regardless where it's at. And that's just not the case. I don't know why some places have more wind then others. Like 30 miles north of where I live it is always windy there, and over recent years they have installed a huge windmill farm is what I call it. I can be at my house and there be no wind blowing at all. I can then go to this windmill farm and they will be spinning like there was 50mph wind blowing. I live about 2 hours southwest of Chicago and it is always windy there. It is actually called the windy city.

About your results. If you were to setup a somewhat decent Anemometer to observe the wind speeds where you are flying, you would quickly see that when the wind does blow each time, it does so at a different speed. For me in atti mode, full throttle, with a 15mph tailwind gets the quad to around 70mph. With a 21mph tailwind it traveled to my current record of 77.43mph. And it was still climbing in speed when I shut down the flight due to reception range cutoff point. Btw, I keep my weather station display next to where I sit all the time. It shows many things but my favorite is the wind speed. I have it set to show the last 10 minute average wind speed. It shows a graph of the fastest wind speed per each hour. I can select from the graph and it will the speed and the time of day that speed was recorded.

I've flown my Vision+ in sustained wind of 25mph gusting to 35mph. It was no problem to fly. I just had to be careful when I was landing.

TMAN1985 said:
I've flown my Vision+ in sustained wind of 25mph gusting to 35mph. It was no problem to fly. I just had to be careful when I was landing.

So surely you have a video of that flight then, right? Our reference to this subject has to do with flying straight into the headwind of 30 mph wind. I have flown in a 42mph wind gust. It was side wind, not into or same direction.

flyNfrank said:
TMAN1985 said:

So surely you have a video of that flight then, right? Our reference to this subject has to do with flying straight into the headwind of 30 mph wind. I have flown in a 42mph wind gust. It was side wind, not into or same direction.
No, I didn't record it because it wasn't anything special.

Frank can you see what max speed you get in Atti with low wind?

No wind atm and I cant get past ~35mph...

Also do you get 70mph+ with 3.x firmware?

Been looking on google and some specs say max speed is 15m/s (not accounting for wind) which I think is 60km/hr or 37mph.. which is roughly what I get with no wind..

Would of thought max is max speed + tailwind. So with 10mph wind its 37 + 10... in 10mph winds I get roughly 47mph..
When I was getting pilots license 5 years back that was kind of how you worked out your estimated speed, if I recall correctly...
When flying back its max speed - headwind... so 37 - 10 = 27 in the 10mph example.

Kind of seems with some people the phantom does not work in the realms of physics and gravity.... :)

Atti isnt spinning motors faster, its just trying to lock horizontal position right?

Not disputing your speed Frank.. You have it logged and all, just trying to replicate it.... seems quite hard to do with 15mph tail wind.. Anyone elee do any testing?

justin00 said:
Atti isnt spinning motors faster, its just trying to lock horizontal position right?

Not disputing your speed Frank.. You have it logged and all, just trying to replicate it.... seems quite hard to do with 15mph tail wind.. Anyone elee do any testing?
I have attained similar speed results as Frank. With an approximately 19 mph tail wind I flew about 72.12mph recorded with Flytrex.

I believe ATTI allows the phantom to fly at a greater pitch to obtain the high speed. I have found that the RTH function flies at a lower speed than normal GPS mode. I obtain my 72mph using ATTI mode on version 1.08 on a Phantom 2 (non-vision). I am not sure newer versions can go that fast. I have found that ATTI mode in older versions would not maintain altitude ad full throttle.

Interesting about 1.08 thanks :)
You have newer 3.x firmware now? Maybe you could do a test and see what speed you get?

Perhaps 1.08 did allow you to go faster as you mentioned.

This thread is finally getting good. As soon as I get past all non believers it will be the cat's *** for sure.

heck yes I have have it logged. Plus you can always peak around my flytrex logs on their website. The 77mph isn't that far from the end. I'm really shocked you asked about the V3 knowing I'm quadless right now. That's why I'm trying to get my fix with threads like this one. :cool:

You mentioned pitch (you called it horizontal position) as a reason for greater speeds. It does have a lot to do with it, but that is not the reason for it in atti mode. It actually is the motors spinning faster. Ok back to pitch. I tried an experiment where I attempted to increase flight pitch. Knowing the right way to doing would be from in the dji app. Early on there use to be an area that showed the pitch number amount, but it was blocked to where you could not change it. The next two options that came to mind were to try doing it by either adding weight, or aerodynamically with some type of deflectors. I decided I would use the option.........both. What I ended up using was two propgards. After knowing how having all four propgards on effected the quad I figure adding two of them to the front two motors may do the trick. And the result was I lost a whopping 10mph! So they were more like adding parachutes instead. So I gave up on that idea altogether. I figured the reason it slowed down so much was due to the propulsion system fighting against itself trying to keep the quad at the set pitch number setting. Actually right after I did this is when I 1st learned about the new props and bigger motors. I was on top of the world thinking I get to do a bunch of new R&D. And then I watched my quad drop from 237ft. I'm looking at Feb. 12th thru 19th on when or if I will have something coming.

Didnt get the cats *** part lol

Also cant read properly cause im at the park about to fly.. will read when I get home... but have you done any 70mph+ flights with 3.x firmware??

If your talking about me.. i believe ya lol! Thats why im asking all the questions.. at the park now... lotsa wind.. about to do more testing.
Btw whats the top speed someones logged on flytrex site?? 77mph must be top 5.. possibly top 3???

flyNfrank said:
This thread is finally getting good. As soon as I get past all non believers it will be the cat's *** for sure.
Who are the non believers ??
flyNfrank said:
heck yes I have have it logged. Plus you can always peak around my flytrex logs on their website. The 77mph isn't that far from the end. I'm really shocked you asked about the V3 knowing I'm quadless right now. That's why I'm trying to get my fix with threads like this one. :cool:
Talking about me? I didn't mention v3.. i meant v3.x firmware... not phantom + v3 lol..
flyNfrank said:
You mentioned pitch (you called it horizontal position) as a reason for greater speeds. It does have a lot to do with it, but that is not the reason for it in atti mode. It actually is the motors spinning faster. Ok back to pitch. I tried an experiment where I attempted to increase flight pitch. Knowing the right way to doing would be from in the dji app. Early on there use to be an area that showed the pitch number amount, but it was blocked to where you could not change it. The next two options that came to mind were to try doing it by either adding weight, or aerodynamically with some type of deflectors. I decided I would use the option.........both. What I ended up using was two propgards. After knowing how having all four propgards on effected the quad I figure adding two of them to the front two motors may do the trick. And the result was I lost a whopping 10mph! So they were more like adding parachutes instead. So I gave up on that idea altogether. I figured the reason it slowed down so much was due to the propulsion system fighting against itself trying to keep the quad at the set pitch number setting. Actually right after I did this is when I 1st learned about the new props and bigger motors. I was on top of the world thinking I get to do a bunch of new R&D. And then I watched my quad drop from 237ft. I'm looking at Feb. 12th thru 19th on when or if I will have something coming.

I mean horizontal position as in like ummm your position in the sky, not pitch or angle.. but your location.. GPS is obviously keeping you in that fixed area, where as Atti will blow away with the wind.
You sure the motors were spinning faster ? Maybe it just makes the quad goes faster due to the pitch ? Goes through air differently etc ?? Seems strange it has extra hidden power? Perhaps some aerodynamic engineer folks can chime in here hehe. I don't doubt the pitch affects the speed, just not sure the motors are putting out more power to make it go faster.
Not a bad idea adding prop guards, well I guess it was seems you tried it, but good test.. saved a few people from trying :)
Anyways as I said before, no one is doubting you... and yeah.. very very curious if you got 70mph + when using v3.x firmware ??
I'm wondering if 1.08 is the key...

I did more testing tonight... 33-37mph with no wind... and then 56.x mph with a nice gust.. I think 56.x mph is my fastest now.. was previously 50ish. That was in Atti.

Surprised no one else has done speed tests and can give there results (with 3.x firmware)

I have never tried any speed flights with v1.08. I can't remember what speeds come from that firmware version. It seems like I can remember flying close to 40mph in phantom gps mode? I do however remember the awesome descent rate some where around 9-14mph though. The fastest top speed flight is now 112.28mph using a F450. I'm now at 13th position overall. The last time I top speed flew I was in 7th spot. The top speed then I believe was at the 98mph range. The fastest vPlus is from one of our members here on the site at 7th position overall with a 79.52mph.

I posted the file that shows my current record which is 77.45mph seen on line 543 near the bottom of the image.

Attachments

• 77record.jpg
    77record.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 293
lobazid said:
here is a movie in 20 to 22 knots
[vimeo]99934982[/vimeo]
Great video, talk about the need for air traffic control, wow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik