Hi Viz drone.

Reaction score
Had my P3A for about 6 months now and no problems so far.
However one thing I've really noticed is that it is so easy to loose visual contact with the drone
as it gets further away, when it's high enough not to stand out against trees etc.
Being white it blends very easily with the sky / clouds. I've decided that a black skin would be the way to go, but have also seen silicone covers. Would these cause the drone to overheat? Anyone tried them?

Had my P3A for about 6 months now and no problems so far.
However one thing I've really noticed is that it is so easy to loose visual contact with the drone
as it gets further away, when it's high enough not to stand out against trees etc.
Being white it blends very easily with the sky / clouds. I've decided that a black skin would be the way to go, but have also seen silicone covers. Would these cause the drone to overheat? Anyone tried them?

Great question, I have also wondered about the silicone skins but was thinking a bright orange color.

IMHO, really bright lights would be better than a skin or a black Phantom. Search this site for 'Strobon' and 'Cree' ... super bright LEDs - so much so you can see them in the daylight from a long way off

Great question, I have also wondered about the silicone skins but was thinking a bright orange color.
Like this?

Autel_XSP.jpg

Yip I use black decal and strobes,,,black stands out against white or cloudy sky,
Must say orange looks good but not sure I could see that at distance like the black,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I run one of those phantom wetsuits in black and white and use the cree strobes for extra effect. Definitely improves the visibility in most types of weather conditions and gives a bit of comfort over here during the winter showers that drift on through.

Yes that is the color I was thinking of. Is that a skin? It looks like a really good paint job.
The Autel X-Star Premium came in white or Orange. I really like the orange myself.

IMHO, really bright lights would be better than a skin or a black Phantom. Search this site for 'Strobon' and 'Cree' ... super bright LEDs - so much so you can see them in the daylight from a long way off

Yep, I have one of those fitted too. I guess they're a lot better in overcast conditions. I find in bright conditions over distance I lose it.

Yep, I have one of those fitted too. I guess they're a lot better in overcast conditions. I find in bright conditions over distance I lose it.

Oh... sorry - you didn't say that... in that case either paint it skin it or look into the Firehouse Arc II - supposed to be much brighter

Yip I use firehouse and they good,very bright,,I went for the red colour, one each side and use phantom 4 headlights X 2 on front and rear,headlights have strobe flash or on,bit of extra weight,probly only lose 2 to 3 min tops in flight time which hardly notice cause I use p4p batteries,standed batteries not last so good due to extras on board,
1533849231373-744010429.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I have the same problem with my 4P4 at about 3000 ft distance. "Decal Girl" has several different skins available for most of the popular drones. Looks like either Orange or lime green for both my P4P and Inspire 1 Pro

I replaced my P4P with a Mavic Air. The white P4P was easy to see against the trees while the red/black Mavic Air was easy to see against the sky. If you do mostly low altitude flying (e.g. against the trees) a dark skin would be counter productive.

How many strobes and what are the placement points for 107 compliance? I see cree has packages with 1-4 strobes but if 1 is all that is required under 107 1 is all I would buy for now.

Did I post a puzzler or is there no specific guidance on the number and placement of strobes to be 107 compliant?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj