Hermosa Beach, CA - Drone Restrictions

Reaction score
Going to Hermosa Beach, CA for vacation and wanted to take my P3S with me. Does anyone know of any drone restrictions in that area or flying over beaches?

I suggest you go to the city's website and run a search in their Municipal Code. I am not familiar with their regs but that is what i have done in the past. I know lots of cities in CA are currently working on local ordinances for drone flight.

Hermosa as Beach is close to LAX, and Torrance airports. Check with towers.

Have you 'looked' anywhere beside here for info?

Best go to the source as mentioned above.

It seems they were considering enacting the 'toughest drone regulations in the state' in April.

Yep, just checked out their city website. They require you to submit an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) application with the city and pay an application fee though they don't state what that fee is on the web site or application. Once completed, you are given a sticker which must be attached on the bottom surface of the drone. The permit is good for one year. So open questions are how long does the application process take, how big and ugly is that sticker and what is this illusive application fee?

Hermosa Beach is only about a 2 square mile city but us right next to Refondo Beach and Manhattan Beach so you may want to go a mile or so away depending on these city's regulations. They may not have the same requirements.

As previously mentioned LAX and several small airports are close by which will require a call to their towers.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reads like a page taken straight from the FAA. They just want your money. You would think that a FAA registration should suffice.

We really need the FAA to step up and take the lead on stoping others from making their own regulation for the NAS!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Helihover
Manhattan Beach seems to have adopted the FAA guidelines. They are also within a five mile radius of LAX and Hawthorne which takes them off the list. Redondo Beach seems to have no stated ordinance or restrictions. That may be the safest area to fly.

D. No person shall operate any model aircraft within the city more than four hundred (400) feet above the earth’s surface, unless proof of authorization to do so by the Federal Aviation Administration is provided to the city.

Since these idiots can't even tell that the FAA does not have a 400' regulation, their stupidity does not surprise me.

Since the FAA has no such limitation how would someone go about getting this "authorization"? Does someone need my approval to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

But WAIT... that's not all... we go from dumb to dumber:

H. No person shall operate any model aircraft or civil UAS within the city to capture, record or transmit any visual image or audio recording of any person or private real property located in the city under circumstances in which the subject person or owner of the subject real property has a reasonable expectation of privacy (including, but not limited to, inside a private office and inside a hotel room). This provision is intended to supplement, rather than duplicate, the prohibition against trespassing into the air space above the land of another person in order to capture any type of visual image or sound recording of a person engaging in a private, personal, or familial activity in a manner that is offensive to a reasonable person, pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1708.8.

What supplement? It IS nothing more then a duplication of existing state and federal laws.

It also appears that they have never heard of the US Constitution or never got to that pesky thing called the first amendment:

J. Unless authorized by federal law, no person shall knowingly and intentionally use any model aircraft or civil UAS to capture images of public school grounds in the city providing instruction in kindergarten or grades one (1) to twelve (12), inclusive, during school hours and without the written permission of the school principal or higher authority, or his or her designee, or equivalent school authority.

Of course there is no such law against these photos taken from the ground.... which much more zoom and higher resolution cameras. Just more fear mongers who don't have a clue.

If you think that is crazy. Just got back the fees for the application. $145 for initial permit, $75 for annual renewal. They can go pound sand...literally! Don't even look at the penalty fees.....

Attachments

• 16-7033 Fines-Fees Social Host-STVR-Drones.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 669
Wow, I was wrong, they don't want your money, they just don't want you to fly. I wouldn't pay that if it came with the key to the city.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Helihover
Vote with your feet. Take your vacation somewhere else. And let them know WHY you chose to spend your money elsewhere.

...here's the map with overlays from hover

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 925
BTW, I sent them an email asking why they felt they could violate the US Constitution in attempting to prohibit taking photos in a public place. I'm holding my breath waiting on an answer.

Looks like this thread has been inactive for a while - but I might have some useful info as it pertains to Hermosa Beach:

The city does indeed require a permit, but in my experience it was pretty painless to get (other than the cost). I am not sure how useful this permit is however - as I was told by a Lifeguard today on Hermosa Beach (after showing him my permit) that drones are prohibited on all LA County operated beaches and Hermosa Beach City does not have the authority to issue these permits in the first place. (This is the first time I've ever had an issue after several flights - in fact one lifeguard told me it was no issue prior to this occurrence).

For questions regarding size - the permit looks like a US postage stamp and has a unique number. It's not large at all.

I wrote an email to the LA County Lifeguard asking them to point me in the direction of this ordinance that prohibits flights on county beaches. I'll let you all know if I ever hear back.

It seems that we are running out of places to fly in LA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost