Here's a new experience.....

Reaction score
Hi guys....

Went for an early morning spin over the South shore bays of Long Island this morning. I was out about 4,000 feet at an altitude of 200 feet when I noticed that the fog was rolling in. I figured that I'd stay in front of it and all will be well. What I hadn't figured was the speed at which the fog was moving! Within seconds of realizing this, my screen went from clear to light gray. I stopped going forward at that point, swung the cam downward and watched the ground beneath me disappear. Now I'm flying on instruments! The cool part about this was being on GPS, and knowing the terrain (no trees, just marshgrass) I took the P3A up to the legal maximum (400' ASL) and broke the fog at about 350'. It was like I was above the clouds...well, I was in a way. Going from terrain to map, I flew above the fog back to my take off point, came down through the fog of which I was now enshrouded with to a good landing. Went back to my cuppa joe and thought about what just happened.....I guess you could say I made an instrument landing!

I know exactly what you mean.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's a busy highway down there and a mall just to the left. At Lake Hodges in San Diego facing east. Longer video got deleted because of the choice of music. Haven't reposted.

Unless your near an airport or in otherwise restricted airspace or flying commercialy there is NO maximum height, that is a recommendation not a rule. Why people continue to believe that there is a 400 foot limit is betond me.

I know exactly what you mean.

There's a busy highway down there and a mall just to the left. At Lake Hodges in San Diego facing east. Longer video got deleted because of the choice of music. Haven't reposted.
That's exactly what it looked like!

Unless your near an airport or in otherwise restricted airspace or flying commercialy there is NO maximum height, that is a recommendation not a rule. Why people continue to believe that there is a 400 foot limit is betond me.

Maybe because "people" dig a bit deeper and realize this is a Catch22 situation as well as understanding that staying under 400' is an AWESOME idea.

You do realize that the 400' "guideline" is part of CBO rules and if you do bust it you are "potentially" flying outside of Part 336 which would default you back to Part 107 rules and regulations. This is from the FAA as well as has been noted by trusted and well known Aviation Attorneys. While it has yet to be "tested in court" it is a very good rule to live by.

I fully think you should fly however you like because at the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions. However, I do NOT think you should give half truths and condemn someone else who is trying to follow rules, regs and guidelines. At the end of the day if someone takes your less than stellar advice and ends up facing legal actions are you willing to accept some degree of fault and help with legal fees????

When it's all said and done why is it so BAD for someone to follow best practices and guidelines? This is AVIATION SAFETY after all and going above and beyond is really how it should be done.

I fully think you should fly however you like because at the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions.

This.
And I agree whole heartedly that just because an individual chooses to fly within their own parameters, they should refrain from persisting to tell others how to operate. If someone likes to follow every rule out there, so be it. Personal responsibility is key.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'd be concerned about icing while flying through visible moisture. It could be catastrophic. I know of at least one drone crash caused by ice.

SB

This.
And I agree whole heartedly that just because an individual chooses to fly within their own parameters, they should refrain from persisting to tell others how to operate. If someone likes to follow every rule out there, so be it. Personal responsibility is key.

My issue is people insisting loudly that something is a rule when it is not. The more people who believe that because they don't know any better the less resistance they will get if they try to make it a rule and at the end of the day it helps educate people about what they CAN do. I even remember the AMA publishing a letter from the FAA admitting that it is not a rule so take that for what it's worth.

Personally I rarely go above 200 feet, but I value the ability to go higher and object when people claim something to be law when it is not. Fly how you want, but I will call inaccuracies when I see them.

.... but I will call inaccuracies when I see them.

As will I and did so in your previous post and will again. By busting the CBO guidelines you default to Part 107 CIVIL operations and as such it is indeed regulations to stay below 400' AGL except in some very specific circumstances.

Until this actually goes to court and is truly tested it's just a my opinion against yours but in time it will be ruled upon one way or the other.

Like I said before in an earlier post....
My limit is 400 feet ASL. Glide paths can be a stone's throw away for me. Even though they're just south of where I fly, there have been times that a plane has been re-directed by the tower at a low altitude. You always have to be on the lookout for this type of situation. You won't know about this until you have a visual.

Reactions: BigAl07
Like I said before in an earlier post....
My limit is 400 feet ASL. Glide paths can be a stone's throw away for me. Even though they're just south of where I fly, there have been times that a plane has been re-directed by the tower at a low altitude. You always have to be on the lookout for this type of situation. You won't know about this until you have a visual.
Have you heard about this... The Drone Services UTM Platform for U-Space and beyond | Altitude Angel.
I joined last year. You join, fill out a form where and the time you'll be flying. They will send you an email or text when an airplane is about to be in your vicinity. They will notify you as to where the plane is now, when it will be expected in your vicinity, and the altitude of the plane.
I also live about 10 miles from PHL, and right under a glide path. All the planes in my area are at about 1800 to 2400 feet. They were also planning to put up detailed maps, showing high tension lines, and other obstacles. Haven't been there in awhile so I don't know if that has actually occurred.

Have you heard about this... The Drone Services UTM Platform for U-Space and beyond | Altitude Angel.
I joined last year. You join, fill out a form where and the time you'll be flying. They will send you an email or text when an airplane is about to be in your vicinity. They will notify you as to where the plane is now, when it will be expected in your vicinity, and the altitude of the plane.
I also live about 10 miles from PHL, and right under a glide path. All the planes in my area are at about 1800 to 2400 feet. They were also planning to put up detailed maps, showing high tension lines, and other obstacles. Haven't been there in awhile so I don't know if that has actually occurred.
I'll check it out. I'm north of Lido-Pt. Lookout and with the planes on their finals, I doubt if any of them are over a 1,000 ft. I surmise more like 500 -700 ft. When you can read the fine print on the underbelly, you know they're low.

Reactions: lil boss
Yes, it's quite amazing up above the fog.

Very interesting perspective!

What was the above cloud altitude, and how did you determine lowest cloud level as well as thickness between lowest level and breaking into sunlight?

I'll check it out. I'm north of Lido-Pt. Lookout and with the planes on their finals, I doubt if any of them are over a 1,000 ft. I surmise more like 500 -700 ft. When you can read the fine print on the underbelly, you know they're low.
I love airplanes and it would be a thrill every time I looked up and saw the printing on the underbelly. That said, It surly would be bad for drone flying, and the noise must be very very loud. Cheers To You !!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic