Helpful tip about broadcasting to the world you have a drone.

I might add that I do wear clothing when flying, that draws attention to myself.
I have Hi-Vis reflective vests with "Certitifed RPAS Pilot" and "Ground Crew" on them for myself and my Spotter.

It gives an air of authority that along with some cones to mark out 30m around the safe take off and landing site, means no one ever comes up aggressively, as they assume you to be professional (I am).
Even authorities that get sent by members of the paranoid public, are going to come up to you with a seriously different and MUCH MORE ACCEPTING attitude straight away. Very unlikely to be on the attack. It's a bit like the tactic of "hiding in plain sight"

Great idea.

Reactions: Ezookiel
The case I bought from DroneFly has huge lettering on the side with their name. Sometimes I carry it with the lettering facing my body to avoid obvious detection.
Thats exactly how I feel I did the same.

Reactions: snowghost
...I have Hi-Vis reflective vests with "Certitifed RPAS Pilot" and "Ground Crew" on them for myself and my Spotter.....It gives an air of authority ... no one ever comes up aggressively, as they assume you to be professional.....Even authorities are very unlikely to be on the attack. It's a bit like the tactic of "hiding in plain sight"

Great idea.

Thanks. And it was stupidly cheap.
Check with any local company that does embroidery and custom clothing.
The vest was $7 and the printing on the back was about $5 and the business name on the front about $3. Total cost of about $15 for each vest is a pittance, A couple of folding traffic cones from the hardware store about the same.
My only fear with it all is that when I used to fly without that gear, I used to get a lot of Joe-Average people come up to talk to me about drones, and I'd let them have a look, etc.
Dressed like this, almost no-one ever comes up or enters the area marked with cones.

I might add that I do wear clothing when flying, that draws attention to myself.
I have Hi-Vis reflective vests with "Certitifed RPAS Pilot" and "Ground Crew" on them for myself and my Spotter.

It gives an air of authority that along with some cones to mark out 30m around the safe take off and landing site, means no one ever comes up aggressively, as they assume you to be professional (I am).
Even authorities that get sent by members of the paranoid public, are going to come up to you with a seriously different and MUCH MORE ACCEPTING attitude straight away. Very unlikely to be on the attack. It's a bit like the tactic of "hiding in plain sight"
Yes I do the same my spotter, is also keeps an eye out for any issues. I also have a second person that is my footage director using the goggles to make sure all footage is smooth cut worthy. My company provides me with full security when flying and full re emburment if crashed or damages. I am fully insured. Regardless I still sometimes run in to flying issues no matter how permitted to fly. I see you're from Australia maybe the laws and the reaction are different there.

Laws are a bit different (can't fly over people's houses/land for starters) but the majority are similar. The attitudes of people so far have been quite good in general.

I did think twice about putting DJI or GoPro stickers on the car, or on the case, because it does have to be left unattended in my vehicle at times, and part of the OP's concerns in this thread was attracting theft, and for that reason I definitely agree with him and leave any identifiers out of sight when I'm not with the gear.
Where I live it would be incredibly unlikely that anyone would run up and grab it and run off, and even less likely I'd have it threated and attacked away from me. But then this is a very safe town, and I fly in daylight (have to by law) in safe public places. But gear alone in a car could be another matter. So no identifiers for me ... not till I start doing this commercially, finish my UOC, and get a business doing it, then I'd think about signwriting on the vehicle just for the advertising and business draw that could create.

Laws are a bit different (can't fly over people's houses/land for starters) but the majority are similar. The attitudes of people so far have been quite good in general.

I did think twice about putting DJI or GoPro stickers on the car, or on the case, because it does have to be left unattended in my vehicle at times, and part of the OP's concerns in this thread was attracting theft, and for that reason I definitely agree with him and leave any identifiers out of sight when I'm not with the gear.
Where I live it would be incredibly unlikely that anyone would run up and grab it and run off, and even less likely I'd have it threated and attacked away from me. But then this is a very safe town, and I fly in daylight (have to by law) in safe public places. But gear alone in a car could be another matter. So no identifiers for me ... not till I start doing this commercially, finish my UOC, and get a business doing it, then I'd think about signwriting on the vehicle just for the advertising and business draw that could create.
Yes I live in California, so the many towns and cities I drive though there is plenty of unsavory characters, everywhere and I prefer not to make my droning public, we are not that ready for such openly displaying our UAVs out here yet. You guys already have amazon drone deliveries and UAV cert courses, if you where to use the cert out here it would not work I imagine.

I would agree. Might as well leave a $1000 bill in place of the box.
My whole crew and I had our cars broken into in a national park while back when we were filming. All of the vehicles had no signs of filming equipments or let alone drone advertisements on it, the location had multi million dollar homes near by but still it happens.

My whole crew and I had our cars broken into in a national park while back when we were filming. All of the vehicles had no signs of filming equipments or let alone drone advertisements on it, the location had multi million dollar homes near by but still it happens.
:confused: Didn't think we could fly in those National parks ?

Reactions: IflyinWY
Sounds like you were a target of opportunity more than anything else. Remote location I assume.

:confused: Didn't think we could fly in those National parks ?

No I was just filming on this excursion, no drones, I feel a lot worse if my drone was stolen vs my camera equipment. lol

Reactions: claws and dirkclod
Sounds like you were a target of opportunity more than anything else. Remote location I assume.
It was kind of strange simi remote, it was on a main highway with a lot of traffic and a joggers car got broken into at the same time. I think the vandals were kind of hiding somewhere scooping the situation out. The thugs were dumb called the card company 10 mins after just to find out one of them tried to call there buddy in jail with the stolen credit card.

No Amazon drone deliveries here yet.
The closest we got was with eBay doing a promotion via social media where you could send an ebay purchased gift to a friend, delivered by what looked like an S1000, but you and your friend seemed to have to be at Bondi Beach "accidentally" and even more coincidentally, had to be up walking along the top of the cliffs beside the beach (big open space) where they could bring it in to land and give you the gift from the friend.

Well? I will cancel my order with the sign guy that's going to do a cool logo for my jeep. and the uniforms from the printer, the business cards and letter heads, my domain name and webpage, the biz lic with the state, cancel my backpack order, kill everyone I've told so far, stay off forums that talk about it so I can't be traced. And put it in a safe and lock it up forever.
Okay I should be be good now.

Well? I will cancel my order with the sign guy that's going to do a cool logo for my jeep. and the uniforms from the printer, the business cards and letter heads, my domain name and webpage, the biz lic with the state, cancel my backpack order, kill everyone I've told so far, stay off forums that talk about it so I can't be traced. And put it in a safe and lock it up forever.
Sounds good less competition for me. LOL

Also I don't know if you are aware of this but FAA laws states, that it is not prohibited to fly drones for montinarty purpose unless granted certified permission by FAA also FAA scouts have already marked peoples youtube videos in question of this. So that is kind of bold of you to promo your "drone services" unless you are only promoting the sales of drones and accessories. Also for the 13 years I been a photographer and videographer I only seen one person advertise that they are a "photographer or videographer on their vehicles in California what makes promoting that your own or fly drones any different? You might as well tape 100 dollar bills on your car while you're at it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic