HELP with Phantom 2 Compass???

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have owned my Phantom 2 for a bit over a year now, however it has flown a total of about 2.5 minutes. I first flew it in my backyard, and didn't want to venture off too far as the wind was pretty swift. This is the reason I decided on upgrading the landing gear.

I decided I wanted to upgrade the landing gear because I didn't like the narrow skids that came on the Phantom. I ordered several different carbon fiber and plastic sets, and decided to install the one I thought would be best for me. So without knowing, I removed the compass and GPS sensor and installed the new gear. I then reattached the compass and GPS into what I thought was the best location. However once this was all completed, the Phantom would not successfully get a good position with the GPS.

I have contacted DJI numerous times, and I was given a brief idea of what I needed to do to get things back on track with the calibration. I even reinstalled the original landing gear, and tried to get into the software, but I am getting nowhere. I spoke to DJI on the phone a few weeks ago, but they just seem to be all knowing and don't really care about spending time with their customers. I am at the point of selling the Phantom 2 with all of the extra accessories I have purchased for it since I can't get it calibrated.

I have purchased very nice carbon fiber blades, and other items from a very good US vendor. The gimbal has never been installed and I just need to either get it flying or sell it to someone who knows what they are doing. I have purchased smaller quads and have learned the basics of flying these things. I just am frustrated that DJI are such weeners, and now I can't get them to respond to my messages at all.

Does anyone have instructions or directions on how to calibrate the compass in a simple way? I tried using the software on my laptop, but was having issues with it, so I couldn't proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's that or sell it and just play with the little guys. I purchased the Phantom 2 because I am a private pilot, however it is so windy here in south Texas that i can get more flying time with a quad than I can in a real plane. I sold my own aircraft and figured once I get the hang of the Phantom I could upgrade to an FPV setup and at least get the feeling I am flying. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but a year later I am still not in the air. Can anyone help a newbie?

Thanks.

Howie

Try going back to stock.
It works well as designed and your modifications don't seem to have upgraded anything.
Lose the carbon props - they are a downgrade.
Be careful with your batteries too - after a year of no use they might be cactus.

So without knowing, I removed the compass and GPS sensor and installed the new gear. I then reattached the compass and GPS into what I thought was the best location. However once this was all completed, the Phantom would not successfully get a good position with the GPS.

I am confused. The compass is on the gear leg and the GPS is in the top half of the shell. Why did you do anything with the GPS?

Put your location in your profile and someone in your area may contact you to help.

I apologize. I haven't done anything with the Phantom in awhile. I removed the compass on the one landing skid, and the other module on the other skid. I have not installed anything other than a set of carbon landing gear, and they have since been removed and the stock landing gear is back in place. I have not installed the carbon props either. She is back to stock configuration at this time.

I am in Corpus Christi, Texas. I am on LOA due to a service connected injury, but am mobile now. If there is anyone in the area I would much appreciate some insight into getting this thing in the air again. Thanks Meta4 and SteveMann for your assist.

Cheers,

Howie

I'm confused too .... the compass is the small square metal thing on one leg. The GPS is located inside the top shell.
I'm not sure what else you've found on the other leg.
All that should be there is one of the R/C antennas - just a bit of thin wire.

Last edited:
The other item is the CanBus extension which the OP may be confusing as the GPS sensor.

The compass must be installed in the in the proper orientation. It is difficult to install it improperly on the stock landing gear.

N017RW is correct. The compass will only fit one way, which I have done. I now just need to have it calibrated so it can fly again, and that is my downfall. I am not having any success with the software on my laptop, and my main computer is an Apple, so things aren't going as I would like them to. I just need some guidance with that part. I have a magnet, and I have space. I just don't have the gray matter up top to complete the task as is.

Ok, to calibrate the compass follow the video...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then check this out... and read the manual again.

Hi and thanks for the info and video. I was told by DJI that I needed to get a magnet and go into an open field and magnetize the compass to a certain value. But first I was told I had to download software and connect the transmitter and then the Phantom to update the software. I really don't remember much about the procedure because the tech went over it so fast. So I guess I will go into an open field and try this compass calibration first. If it doesn't work I will see if I can locate someone in my area who has much more knowledge than I do about these Phantoms. Thanks again for all of the help so far.

Cheers,

Howie
Corpus Christi, TX

Are there any experienced Phantom 2 flyers in the Corpus Christi area? I sure could use some help. Thanks.

Howie

Hi and thanks for the info and video. I was told by DJI that I needed to get a magnet and go into an open field and magnetize the compass to a certain value. But first I was told I had to download software and connect the transmitter and then the Phantom to update the software. I really don't remember much about the procedure because the tech went over it so fast. So I guess I will go into an open field and try this compass calibration first. If it doesn't work I will see if I can locate someone in my area who has much more knowledge than I do about these Phantoms. Thanks again for all of the help so far.

Cheers,

Howie
Corpus Christi, TX

The information you were given by DJI Of using a magnet out in the field is not good and I highly suggest you do not do it. Here is a video that will explain how and for what reason to use a magnet to demagnetize the compass. The following video is very hard to find so copy to your downloads.
If you are having problems with your laptop delete those P2 assistant softwares and download the following P2 assistant v3.6, P2 RC assistant v1.2 and DJI Windows Driver.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download
To install the windows drive you need to connect the phantom up to your laptop and turn it on and once it has been installed you download the rest to the P2 and the RC unit.

Hope this info helps.

Hi Jason,

I haven't taken the Phantom out with a magnet yet, however I have already connected it to my laptop trying to access the software that DJI told me to use before I used the magnet. I wasn't able to get that software to work properly, so I don't even know where I am in the process of getting it to fly.

I will take your info and see what happens. I appreciate it. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Howie

What computer are you using PC or Mac?

Hi,

I'm using a Mac, but I have a PC laptop. I took the Phantom 2 out today in an open field to try and calibrate. It does calibrate in the horizontal plane, but not in the vertical. I had originally thought the Phantom wouldn't fly if it wouldn't calibrate, however that is not the case. I flew it for a few minutes at low altitude in some gusty wind and just had to keep on top of it myself as the GPS was not working.

I did try to calibrate it several times, but it would not calibrate in vertical attitude. I had conntected the remote to my laptop a while back as that is what DJI said I needed to do, however I don't think that is the case at all. I did place the compass back into its original position so I feel connecting it may have screwed some things up. Any help with trying to get this compass calibrated would be awesome. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Howie

Hi, sorry to confuse, however here is what I know. In step 6 of the DJI Quick Start Guide where it addresses calibrating the compass here is what is happening. When I rotate the Phantom horizontally, the green lights come on. However when I rotate it vertically the yellow'red lights flash rapidly and they never stop. This to me means if the compass isn't calibrating then the GPS is not working either.

I was able to fly the Phantom 2, however since GPS does not work I am forced to make corrections in-flight as the GPS doesn't hold the aircract in-place. The wind will take it with it if I don't manually control it myself. That is where I am at this time. Thanks for the reply. If you have any suggestions I am game to try them out.

Cheers,

Howie

Maybe a total shot in the dark, but this same exact thing was happening to mean when I was staying at a resort in Wisconsin with a tiny (one plane) landing strip. The horizontal would calibrate fine, but would give me the red flashing after the vertical. Flight was unaffected otherwise. Went to another location about ten miles away, and it was fine. Drove to 4.8 miles from the resort and the issue appeared. I didn't think I would have problems as the airport did not show up on any of the maps.

Seems silly, but are there any tiny airfields in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost sounds like you're in ATTI mode instead of GPS.

The compass calibration issue is something that needs more attention. Also, I would hook up a phone to your TX and see how many sats the DJI app says the Phantom is locked onto.

Thanks for the responses. I took it to a clear field pretty much in the middle of nowhere and it only calibrated in the horizontal. When I first got the Phantom last year it calibrated fine, however I was worried about the small landing gear, so I purchased larger gear and removed and reinstalled the compass. However after that I could not get a calibration, so I reinstalled the original landing gear and then installed the compass in its original position. I tried to calibrate the compass afterwards, but it would not calibrate in vertical. So I contacted DJI and they told me I had to get a magnet and do a bunch of software stuff of which I had not experience with. This was via email. Almost a year after I purchased it I called and spoke with DJI tech support and they gave me software files to use so I could connect the TX to and basically reload with new software. I attempted it once but I didn't get very far in the procedure before I shut it down. I didn't want to mess anything up. I was told I would need a magnet as well and to go into an open field where I could get less interference.

I never did any of that and since then I have tried to contact DJI several times to speak with someone who might have more input, but they don't respond. I have a total of about 10 minutes in my backyard and in the field a couple of days ago, but that's it. I have a lot of accessories and have never installed the gimbal. I think I may just sell it to someone who knows how to deal with correcting the calibration. If anyone is interested I have carbon fiber props, all original boxes and accessories, and a couple of different landing gear options. I may list it on ebay as well if I can't get this sorted out. Thanks again.

Howie

It's possible you used a magnetized screw driver when you removed the compass the first time around... it's now magnetized. So there is a way to de-magnetize it using a small magnet but it's tricky to say the least and prone to errors.

I suggest you take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get them to do it, or get a replacement compass unit and fit it with plastic or non magnetic screwdriver.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic