help with attenuator

Reaction score
I'm using a triple boosted itelite DBS antenna. I have a sunhans 2w 5.8 ghz amp, a 2.5w 2.4 ghz amp and 3w 2.4 ghz amp. It's been recommended to use an attenuator to help control the power. However I do not know anything about this subject. what kind or size. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance !!

Hi phantom13flyer

I don’t know if this will help you or not. I probably read the same thing as you about the power being too much going into the boosters.

I could never really get a definitive answer from anywhere when I looked into this back when the P2V+ came out. I asked Tony from FPVLR a year or so ago but he didn’t really have any comment to add at least at the time.

From what I could work out it’s only the range extender into the boosters that mattered because they are in effect boosted already by the extender.

I bought a couple of attenuators off eBay that were the right spec from what I could discover but I finished up never using them and nobody else seemed to be using them or if they were they weren’t telling anybody.

From what I’ve read since the extender has an output of 17dBm, the sunhans can cope with an input of up to 20dBm. I’m no expert but that doesn’t seem like a problem to me.

I would assume though if you run any app that boosts the extender and it’s over 20 then it might be a problem. It never made sense to me having to add attenuators to reduce the power only to be boosting it again.

If you want to try it this was the Attenuator required
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pce-SMA-...z-6dB-50ohm-/330894730691?hash=item4d0adce5c3

Perhaps somebody who knows what they are talking about will come along and tell us we all need attenuators now.

Cheers
John

PS I have the same 3 boosters as you.

Thanks! Yeah unless we are missing something it doesn't make much sense to me either. Reducing the power of something we are wanted boosted.

So the 6 dbi , does that mean it's reducing it 6 dbi ?

I’m not sure to be honest.

It was the one to use though from what I read.

I wish I could remember where I read it, if it wasn’t in phantompilots it must have been one of the other quad sites, maybe rcgroups.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the output of the extender and the input capabilities of the sunhans I’m still going with the option of not bothering with the attenuators.

I went ahead and ordered a few of them. They are only 2.50 a piece so what the hell. I'll give them a shot and I'll post the results comparing distances with and without.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20